Author Topic: Toggle Switch to run fan in town  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Toggle Switch to run fan in town
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:55:58 PM »
Can any one tell me exactly how to wire up a toggle switch so i can switch the fan on while sitting in traffic, i think this was answered befor but i cant find it

this will be my temporary solution until i can replace the thermostat with one that kicks the fan on a little sooner befor it gets into the red witch has been going on latly since since warmer weather is here and that im sure played a part in my fuel line kinking the other day.

AND do i need any special toggle switch or will a cheap basic switch from autozone work

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Toggle Switch to run fan in town
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:06:14 PM »
The temp fan switch is goung south. Or junk has built up on it. Use the time spent on wiring in a switch and replace the fan temp switch and be done with it.
Your cooling system may also have air in it causing the problem.
Flush, fill and bleed the system and change that fan temp switch. Don't remember the p/n but one from a Honda car works.
Someone will chime in.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »
yeah you could be right, i bet the temp switch has never been changed, i also bet the thermostat has never been changed, but i cant change the thermo, at least not now.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »
I have a cheap basic switch wired to the fan switch\sensor. I cant remember the wiring diagram offhand and I am too far from my bike to go look.
I too would run hot  at red lights and heavy stopped traffic on hot days and hence the fan bypass switch but I was able to fix the problem  and it was not my sensor. ( I had replaced my sensor switch and still ran hot)
The problem was the large 'O' ring on the thermostat housing. It had deteriorated to a soft jelly and because the engine could not build pressure in the cooling system it would overheat.
Since replacing the 'O' ring I never go past halfway even on the hottest of days  and I no longer need the switch. A huge difference.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 03:26:29 PM »
Just splice a wire into each existing wire of the regular fan switch, leave those existing wires in place.  Run one wire to each side of the new switch. They will operate in parallel, meaning that either switch will be able to run the fan.

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
I'm gonna have to splice in a toggle for now. thanks

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 09:33:34 PM »
Just splice a wire into each existing wire of the regular fan switch, leave those existing wires in place.  Run one wire to each side of the new switch. They will operate in parallel, meaning that either switch will be able to run the fan.

Yup a cheap SPST toggle switch wired in parallel is all you needs....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Dan in Grand Rapids

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 08:01:16 AM »
I run a toggle switch and like having more control in deciding when the fan should be on or off. My fan thermo  switch died about a year ago, and after seeing how much a new one cost I just wired in a switch.

1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 08:43:33 AM »
I've had a fan over ride toggle on my bike for probably 5 years. My fan switch failed while at the RWTW, now that will never be an issue again. Steve

Offline KenE

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 01:20:38 PM »
Great idea  here! She does run hot after a while in stop and go traffic, even in winter time.
Wiring a switch will be a good place for a couple of posi-taps, to make it easy. (NOTE: Love the Posi's, reusable, neat, as well as easy to take apart if needed.)

I found them here:http://www.webbikeworld.com/sale/posi-locks-for-sale.htm (7 pc assd kit, 9.95 ppd)

or here:http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Posi-Lock/posi-lock.html (they are about 1$ each piece, 20$ minimum order, us mail from APO  Japan)
I suppose a google search may turn up other suppliers too.
Best,
Kenner

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »
a paperclip wrapped around the terminals turns the fans on..... just mentioning this       ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Gottaride

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 04:28:00 AM »
MOB. Nice.
1994 C-10 California model

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 06:11:43 AM »
I got my toggle installed, i just used black duck tape and stuck it to my dash, no splicing wires, i pulled the wires off the switch and stuffed the toggle wires inside and plunged it back in, i should have done this years ago  :doh: