Author Topic: Another tire thread -- Avon Storm 2 Ultra (front) & AV-46 (Azaro) (rear)  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Matt L

Bottom line up front--I am very happy with the Avons!

I poured through tire threads before I made my tire purchase.  I wasn't certain the Avons were "the ones" either, but in the end, I am very pleased with the performance.

The Metzelers were nearing their end-of-life on my '86 w/35K before the swap so keep that in mind.  I first noticed the Avons when I  had to make a quick lane change and the way in which the bike quickly leaned in/out of the manuever almost scared me.  The bike is much more nimble. 

I thought I would write this review for the archives.

Matt

Offline connie1

• Arena
I installed the same combo on my daughters GS500.  Can't say anything about any performance upgrade but I was impressed with the build quality.  Installed easily and  have a mess of rubber on the tread surface.  Hope they last a long time.
 I was wondering how they would work on a big bike. Keep us posted.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
I just put my second set on except the front I replaced was the previous design, not the Storm 2 Ultra. The new Ultra front has a slightly different tread pattern which I think will help with wear. Don't know if any other changes were made to the compound or structure. The first time I rode in the rain with Storm/Azaro combo I was happy with them.   

Offline Strawboss

I'm looking to buy the Avons from Murph, is the tire you mounted the same rear that Murph sells?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline CoffeeRider

:) I have used this combination for 6 years and am very happy with my choice. I get about 16 - 18k from the front running at 42 psi and 10 - 12k from the rears running at 40 psi. I do a combination of super slabbing and secondary roads at a moderate pace. Keep an eye on your rear because when they do wear out, it happens very fast, especially if they square off. Ride is very stable and dependable and there are no surprises when it rains.
2002 Concours (It's not grey, it's SilverDammit)
Targa windshield, Fender extender, Murph's knee savers, bar risers, Optronix driving lights, Garmin Quest GPS, hyperlights, Back off stop light flasher, backrest extender

Offline Matt L

I'm looking to buy the Avons from Murph, is the tire you mounted the same rear that Murph sells?

After checking Murph's website, yes, those are the ones.

Good luck!

Offline Matt L

One more thought...as I was riding this morning, I thought to myself "wow, so this is what riding a sports bike must feel like."  Of course, I've never ridden a sports bike before.

I'm a big fan of these Avons.  The bike is much more "flickable" (if that's a word).

Offline Strawboss

Thanks, I kinda figured they were, I was looking at the Shinkos but I just wasn't totally sold on them just yet. I've got the wing size Metzlers now I think are made of some sort of iron, I put them on right before went to the national in Frisco in 2008, the bike had 52,000 mile on it, I've got 72,000 now. Time for a change though, theres plenty of tread left too!
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50