Author Topic: Starter motor turns. No fire. Any suggestions?  (Read 11536 times)

Offline marku8a

Starter motor turns. No fire. Any suggestions?
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:21:23 PM »
It's a 2009 with 1300 miles. The starter motor turns the engine over but the engine does not light up. Things I tried...

Yes it has gas!
Recharged the battery and checked the voltage (no load)
The starter turns at what sounds like a normal speed
Checked all fuses in fuse boxes 1,2 & 3 with a continuity tester

The funny thing is that it has never fired right up right away when cold. I don't mean cold cold. I am in southern California. Other EFI bikes I have owned or ridden have fired up with a short press (2-5 seconds) of the starter button. Not this one.

Any recommendations for other troubleshooting? I am about ready to give up and take it to the dealer. That's another question, how do you get your dead bike to a shop to be repaired? I have always done my own work or managed to limp to help.

Mark

2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Starter motor turns. No fire. Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »
Do you have an aftermarket tuner installed on it?

If so you might check your connections and pay special attention to your ground. 

Could it be bad fuel?  When was the last time you rode your 2009 with 1300 miles?

If not then you would be better off to have a friend lend you trailer to take it to the dealer. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline JRT

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:57:34 PM »
Mark,
When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump activate for a few seconds?
If not then you have a fuel pump, fuse, or safety circuit issue.
2011 C14 ABS Ebony
V&H CS-1
Dispatch 1

Offline PH14

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 03:08:55 AM »
Battery cables tight on the terminals?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 04:16:26 AM »
We've had a couple of bikes come through here with cold start issues.  Unfortunately, I don't remember what the outcomes were.  Starting issues with this bike are totally abnormal.  If it's turning over at normal speed then the battery should be ok but it doesn't have to go down much to not start and still crank.  They are totally dependent on the correct voltage.  You might try seeing if there are any codes showing up.  Hold the upper and lower buttons on the dash display for more than two seconds.  If there is a code it will come up.  If there aren't any codes it could be bad gas.  You may also want to make sure the battery is charged fully as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:32:17 AM »
When my battery started going south, the starter would turn what sounded fast enough to start the bike, but it wouldn't start.  A new battery solved the problem.  It might be worth taking your battery off and having it tested.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »
This might sound strange...but make sure the RED SWITCH is in the proper position on your right handlebar.  ::)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 09:53:37 AM »
This might sound strange...but make sure the RED SWITCH is in the proper position on your right handlebar.  ::)

Pretty sure the motor wouldn't turn over if that was the case.   ::)

But maybe my "RED SWITCH" is just weird like that.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 11:24:19 AM »
Pretty sure the motor wouldn't turn over if that was the case.   ::)

But maybe my "RED SWITCH" is just weird like that.
Lol I forgot this bike has a sensor for that.  ::)
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 02:01:03 PM »
Lol I forgot this bike has a sensor for that.  ::)

You lost me.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 02:41:22 PM »
You lost me.
My other 7 bikes would actually allow the user to crank the engine while the engine "kill switch" is in the off position. This was advantagious when the engine became "flooded" with fuel and you could open the throttle all the way and turn the engine a few times to "clean" the excess fuel. I forgot the C14 doesn't allow this...but I never really use the off position on the switch anyway.

:deadhorse:

FWIW I had this issue last week and disconnecting the wiring harness from the PCV and re-connecting the stock ones made it start right up.

Offline Mighty

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 04:47:20 PM »
That's what happened when my PC V took a dump.
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
Yamaha Warrior 1000cc 4 stroke Sled
68 Rag top Vette

Bob

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 05:40:26 PM »
Me too! But mine ran just long enough to get me about a mile down the road! It's not fun pushing this monster!   ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 07:26:55 PM »

FWIW I had this issue last week and disconnecting the wiring harness from the PCV and re-connecting the stock ones made it start right up.

:popcorn:

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 07:52:17 PM »
With all the threads reporting PCs crapping out, I think I'll be skipping this farkle.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »
A C-14 will not crank with the kill switch set to 'OFF'. Nor will any other Japanese bike I've seen but of course I have not seen them all.... Allowing the engine to crank with the kill switch set to off is sort of like playing 'stump the dummy' I think.  ;)

Brian

My other 7 bikes would actually allow the user to crank the engine while the engine "kill switch" is in the off position. This was advantagious when the engine became "flooded" with fuel and you could open the throttle all the way and turn the engine a few times to "clean" the excess fuel. I forgot the C14 doesn't allow this...but I never really use the off position on the switch anyway.

:deadhorse:

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline marku8a

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 08:47:34 PM »
Do you have an aftermarket tuner installed on it?

If so you might check your connections and pay special attention to your ground. 

Could it be bad fuel?  When was the last time you rode your 2009 with 1300 miles?

If not then you would be better off to have a friend lend you trailer to take it to the dealer.

No Tuner. Checked ground. Rode last weekend. Found a "Bike tow service" Going to cost about $80.

Mark,
When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump activate for a few seconds?
If not then you have a fuel pump, fuse, or safety circuit issue.

Yes I hear the pump.

Battery cables tight on the terminals?

Yes. I removed and installed the battery to charge it.

You might try seeing if there are any codes showing up.  Hold the upper and lower buttons on the dash display for more than two seconds.  If there is a code it will come up.

That's a new one for me. I just tried it. No codes. It just enters the setup menu.

When my battery started going south, the starter would turn what sounded fast enough to start the bike, but it wouldn't start.  A new battery solved the problem.  It might be worth taking your battery off and having it tested.

I did experience this on another vehicle. I will give that a shot.

That's what happened when my PC V took a dump.

No PC installed....  yet!!!

I am going to have the battery load tested. If that checks out ok, its off to the dealer for repair. I asked if Kawa would pick up the $80 for the transport. I was told no. If its a warranty repair I think I will challenge that.

Thanks for all the recommendations! You guys are great!!

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline gflint

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »
If you have AAA they should cover the haul cost.  Your insurance may also.  If they say it was not a roadside haul, push it out to the street.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 01:23:38 PM »
Are you getting any error at all on the display? It almost sounds like a cam sensor is bad... but you'd think you'd fire an error code for that.

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 03:19:07 PM »
A C-14 will not crank with the kill switch set to 'OFF'. Nor will any other Japanese bike I've seen but of course I have not seen them all.... Allowing the engine to crank with the kill switch set to off is sort of like playing 'stump the dummy' I think.  ;)

Brian

Either you haven't been riding as long as I thought or your memory is starting to fade.  I'm guessing the "no cranking with the kill switch off" took place about the same time as the sidestand ignition lock.  My early '80's Hondas have neither of those features.

As to PC problems, there have been more reported strandings caused by Power Commanders than by KiPass, but fortunately the PC failures do not seem to provoke the vitriol.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.