Author Topic: Front brake issue  (Read 5171 times)

Offline Goat

Front brake issue
« on: July 07, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »
I replaced my stock levers with some pazzo knock-offs and ever since my front brake lever feels mushy.  This is especially bad when I need them after riding on the highway, the first pull is a little unnerving then it seems to have pressure again after that.  It is very hot is San Antonio and most of my afternoon commute is in 100 + temps.

Could just swapping the lever cause this?  DO they need bleeding?  Do you think I need to upgrade the lines due to the extreme heat I ride in?

It's an 09 non-abs btw.

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
Re: Front brake issue
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 08:29:52 PM »
Goat, it might not be your front brake lever. I had a similar problem about a month ago after I changed my front tire. What happened was that somehow the front rotor(s) were warpped, so every turn of the wheel, the brake pads pushed out (away from the rotors), therefore I have to pump the front brake lever at least one time before the brake feel comes back to normal.

Check it out. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:42:41 AM by IRULE »
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Goat

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 03:05:47 PM »
Thanks for the input, what's the best way to tell if they are?

Offline Rawman

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 05:07:31 PM »
I have seen a post on this before when changing out to the knock off levers...
Can't remember if it was lost to the old site, but hopefully someone chimes in who knows the issue.
Something about the pivot point and a washer or spacer on your "new" levers IIRC.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »
To check the front rotors, put it on the center stand, then jack the front tire up in the air, spin the front tire slowly, apply the front brake lever a few times and see if the lever actually needed to be pump - or at least see if you have to pull the lever at a different distance to the throttle grip.  Good luck.
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 12:32:28 AM »
I had this EXACT thing happen to me.  I changed my tires right before I left for Alaska.  After putting my bike back together I had the mushy brake syndrome.  I took it all apart to find out what the cause of the mush was.  Couldn't find anything.  So I rode.  The brakes were fine after a pump. 

I fought this all the way through Canada and now down into the states.  It's now unbearable!  I really need a fix.  IF I find a dealer willing to dive in, I'll give it a go.  But I will likely have to wait until I get back.

Well In Eugene,  I replaced the front pads because the pulsation and feeling in the front was un-nerving.  After replacing the pads the pulsing was still there, but the front wheel won't turn freely.  It hits on the warpage.  I've tried a couple of small dealers and they don't want anything to do with it. 

I'm now in Redding, Ca. and considering ordering new rotors from Galfer or comparable.  I still feel like this is a product malfunction.  Me buying new rotors that may or may not fix the problem is money out of my pocket.  My brakes are SH!T, but I'm limping!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline TimmyG

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 04:47:26 AM »
Goat i would try changing fluid

Offline Rudy

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 06:40:51 AM »
You may need to drill the hole in the pivot that the master cylinder plunger fits into deeper. It could be that your brakes are dragging. I had to do this on mine when I installed my Chinese levers.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 07:35:56 AM »
It would seem to me that if you had no problems with the front brakes before the lever was added (and had not done any work to the front brakes or changed the front tire) then the problem is with the lever/master cylinder (using a little bit of logic here).  Remove the lever and put the stock one back on.  If the problem is fixed then you know where the issue is.  However, you may have inadvertently 'warped' the rotor if the new lever was not releasing pressure on the brake pistons, thereby causing excessive heat to be produced which caused the warpage.  In other words you may have invoked the 'no good can come from this' or 'the law of unintended consequences' axioms.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 08:10:52 AM »
(using a little bit of logic here). 

:o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 08:45:48 AM »
"logic"?  We are men!  We just do it, then f$@k it up, then we'll buy new ones!   :o
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 09:00:25 AM »
"logic"?  We are men!  We just do it, then f$@k it up, then we'll buy new ones!   :o

Unfortunately, that is too true..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 04:23:13 PM »
Maybe. Or maybe it is just a <K-word> issue....?

Brian

It would seem to me that if you had no problems with the front brakes before the lever was added (and had not done any work to the front brakes or changed the front tire) then the problem is with the lever/master cylinder (using a little bit of logic here).  Remove the lever and put the stock one back on.  If the problem is fixed then you know where the issue is.  However, you may have inadvertently 'warped' the rotor if the new lever was not releasing pressure on the brake pistons, thereby causing excessive heat to be produced which caused the warpage.  In other words you may have invoked the 'no good can come from this' or 'the law of unintended consequences' axioms.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 12:06:52 AM »
Maybe. Or maybe it is just a <K-word> issue....?

Brian

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine