Author Topic: no bags  (Read 14945 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: no bags
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 08:10:14 PM »
I always ride with the bags on.  Not only do I use them, but the bike looks better with them on.  And tomorrow, when I put on the rear McE guards, I am sure it will look VERY strange with the bags off.

The only time I remove them is if:

1) I take the bike in for service.  It is two less things that could be damaged
2) I am going inside my non-home destination with my stuff
3) I am cleaning the bike really well
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »
The other thing is without the bags on the bike is a little easier for us shorter inseamed guys to get on and off and the bags are not getting all scuffed up.

Bet my inseam is shorter than yours....

I have never scuffed my bags.  Mostly because I am careful.  You do have to mount the Concours differently than smaller/bagless bikes.  I actually FACE the seat, then lift my right in front of me with bent knee, then extend and over the seat while still mostly facing the seat, THEN I turn my body to face forward.  I am sure this is probably what a lot of people learn to do.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Bugnut

• The Dude abides.
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 07:25:13 AM »
All three bags, all the time. I'm in the camp of the bike looking a bit fugly without the side bags. Really eff'n fugly with just the yop case.

Never really thought I was the top case kinda person untill I put it on. Now I use all three every day (suit, helmet in each bag when parked, and tools, rain gear, etc in top case).

Riding to and from work one bag holds laptop and bag, the other any extra stuff needed at work, sometimes shoes or spare shirt, pasta dish for the office luncheon.

Seem to haul a lot of stuff with me all the time!

Only time the three are off is if I'm doing maintenance.

Mike
"Now I know what the Klingons felt like when the Enterprise was at warp 9 with photon torpedoes firing away as they blasted past. There is no way I could catch up to, much less get past that Concours when it's on the hunt it's lights at full power."

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 08:45:27 AM »
I only run with the bags on once a year - when we take our week long trip.  BTW, to those of you who think the bike looks better with bags on, I'm not going to argue that point.  But it does add 10 years to your age  :stirpot:

Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 09:21:06 AM »
I always thought my black '09 looked pretty good with the bags on until I swapped bikes with a buddy for a short ride. I was following him and couldn't get over what a huge black ass it has! I try much more often to leave them at home now. I am thinking a decent tank bag could all but replace them except for long trips. I much prefer the sport bike look sans bags.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline W14

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 09:26:15 AM »
I don't like to looks of the Concours without the bags and  would not have purchased it if did not come with bags.  The bags make the bike more functional, allowing me to carry:  emergency tools, extra gloves, rain gear, jacket liners, windshield clears, etc.

To each his own.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 09:31:47 AM »
Minus the bazooka, I think the C14 looks real good without the bags "especially" ZG's dual set-up!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 09:33:37 AM »
Minus the bazooka, I think the C14 looks real good without the bags "especially" ZG's dual set-up!

:grouphug:

Offline Shoe

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »
You want to see bazookas? Look at the new zx14. It must be a disease that's spreading.

They should give it a name.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Reddogger

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
Bags off for me unless I have a need for them. 
"...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."                     

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »
I love the blue rims Redogger!

I have my bags on 99% of the time since it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  I might take them off for a short ride this evening...............
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »
I keep my bags on all the time, whether I'm using them or not.  Mostly because I almost always wish I had some place to carry stuff the few times I took them off.

As an interesting note, the bike is also more aerodynamically stable at high speeds (read over 130-ish) with the bags on and the windscreen down.  Pulls the center of pressure aft like fins on a rocket.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »

As an interesting note, the bike is also more aerodynamically stable at high speeds (read over 130-ish) with the bags on and the windscreen down.  Pulls the center of pressure aft like fins on a rocket.

I thought that was what the fake mohawk was for on my helmet ;D
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 03:02:27 PM »
It's a silverdammit detector, let's me know ahead of time to get in the other lane to pass em...  ;)

Oh that was sooo good ZG!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :thumbs:

BTW, to those of you who think the bike looks better with bags on, I'm not going to argue that point.  But it does add 10 years to your age :stirpot:
That's OK, because just sitting on a Concours14 takes about 20 years off, in my case even maybe another 5 in a helmet.  ::)

..and just to stay on topic, 95% of the time I leave my bags on ('cause they're pinned for one reason) and my top case on ('cause it's
got brake lights, and also because it sticks up high so SUV cagers backing up can see it when it's parked).

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 04:49:11 PM »
... it's so much more embarrassing to a sportbike rider to be spanked by a tourer loaded with bags on than without.  ;D

Plus as was mentioned, riding around the Rockies here... you never know what the weather will turn or change to in 10-15 minutes.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 09:19:04 PM »
... it's so much more embarrassing to a sportbike rider to be spanked by a tourer loaded with bags on than without.  ;D

Lol...I suspect this is one of the reasons the guys on the light bikes encourage me to show up without the bags. 
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline Locol

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 09:21:21 PM »
Hey Fartymarty, how did you "pin" your bags?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 11:04:26 PM »
Hey Fartymarty, how did you "pin" your bags?

Nothing original here by me, my palindromic friend. I copied MrFurious' install down to the same type of pin. I think
I bought the pins at the local Lowe's, in the hardware aisle drawer section IIRC. Someone (sorry I can't recall to give credit)
mentioned that temperature changes, G-force, different weights (frame flex?) might put a strain on a pinned bag. They recommended
that after the initial drill through with the pin size drill, that the bag be removed and the hole on the bag mount (the male part still on the bike) be enlarged with the next size larger drill. It made sense to me, so that is what I did.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 06:03:16 AM »
Lol...I suspect this is one of the reasons the guys on the light bikes AND BLACK ONES encourage me to show up without the bags.
FIFY

Offline booger

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
I never take my bags, or tail pack off, because I carry too damn much stuff in them. ;)