Author Topic: Mr. Zoom is not well, leaking head gasket ahhhhhh  (Read 3698 times)

Taff

Mr. Zoom is not well, leaking head gasket ahhhhhh
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:29:46 PM »
So Mr. Z (2009 C14) has 1600 miles since I bought him new in April. Last week I started to smell coolant when I was waiting at a red light.

So, following the advice on this forum I decided to check the header nuts (all were marginally tight) and  found green coolant deposits running down the middle cylinder from the head area.

I cleaned off the coolant, checked the oil for any white residue (water in the oil) and ran the bike around the block to get the engine up to operating temperature. Parked back in the garage, placed bike on the center stand and used an inspection lamp to check the head area again. I could not see any "droplets of coolant" although the head area where the leak is coming from did have some moisture (different deeper green color) compared with the dried coolant which was a lighter green color.

Has anyone else had this probelm and do you think that having the head bolts re-torqued will be OK?

Thanks for your help.

Jon.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Mr. Zoom is not well, leaking head gasket ahhhhhh
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:13:43 AM »
Take it in to the dealer and get them to fix it.  We haven't had too many issues with coolant leaks from the head.  It's either a head gasket issue or torque.   They're going to have to take a lot of things off just to check the head bolt torque.  If I was them, I'd replace the gasket anyway since I was into it big time assuming that's where they think it's coming from and not a loose hose clamp or some such.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Taff

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:01:05 AM »
Take it in to the dealer and get them to fix it.  We haven't had too many issues with coolant leaks from the head.  It's either a head gasket issue or torque.   They're going to have to take a lot of things off just to check the head bolt torque.  If I was them, I'd replace the gasket anyway since I was into it big time assuming that's where they think it's coming from and not a loose hose clamp or some such.

Jim,

Thanks for the response.
I was thinking that a new gasket would be a great deal of work but I have removed most of the plastic for them anyway,new oil and filter is also on my request list. Other than this the bike is running well.

Ride safe,

Jon.

Offline gflint

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »
Do not, I say again, NO NOT just get it re-torqued!  That head gasket is most likely toast after a leak like that.  If the head was poorly torqued you may have had a combustion chamber leak also.  It is possible this would damage the gasket surface of the head or cylinders.  I have not had the head off of one of these but I know many bikes have rubber o-rings to assist in the coolant sealing.  It is a good possibility that this was pinched at the factory (I have seen this on other bikes) and there will be no other damage.  Do not risk it.  You may miss a couple weeks of riding but the feeling of knowing it was fixed correctly will be worth it.  This is a warranty fix so time is all you have to lose.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:48:41 PM »
you never said if you found any milky stuff in the oil???? 

Taff

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »
Do not, I say again, NO NOT just get it re-torqued!  That head gasket is most likely toast after a leak like that.  If the head was poorly torqued you may have had a combustion chamber leak also.  It is possible this would damage the gasket surface of the head or cylinders.  I have not had the head off of one of these but I know many bikes have rubber o-rings to assist in the coolant sealing.  It is a good possibility that this was pinched at the factory (I have seen this on other bikes) and there will be no other damage.  Do not risk it.  You may miss a couple weeks of riding but the feeling of knowing it was fixed correctly will be worth it.  This is a warranty fix so time is all you have to lose.

Great advice, thanks for your input. My friend will be picking me up to take the bike in his truck.

Jon.

Taff

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:56:19 PM »
you never said if you found any milky stuff in the oil????

I did not make it clear but there was NO milk in the oil.

Jon.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:31:52 PM by Taff »