Author Topic: getting power to accessory plug  (Read 8150 times)

Offline Tater Salad

• Arena
getting power to accessory plug
« on: May 21, 2011, 06:46:36 AM »
Hi guys,
Trying to get power to my accessory plug, the owner's manual says to connect the yellow and black bullet connectors under the glove box and in the rear under the seat latch, I've connected both of those, still no luck.  Is there a fuse I don't know about other than the accessory or a third connection that is not mentioned in the manual? 
Thanks,
Tater

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: getting power to accessory plug
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:50:06 AM »
The bike has to be on for those to work...
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 06:51:52 AM »
Here's the acc leads under the seat and the leads in the front

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/accleads

You don't have power to those when the key is on?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Tater Salad

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 07:05:06 AM »
Hi Conrad,

This is Tater Salad's wife (who is hoping to go for a bike ride sometime today... :) maybe....  You're correct, the accessory plug doesn't work even when the bike is running.

Thank you,

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 07:09:49 AM »
Hi Conrad,

This is Tater Salad's wife (who is hoping to go for a bike ride sometime today... :) maybe....  You're correct, the accessory plug doesn't work even when the bike is running.

Thank you,

If you're looking at the right leads and the fuse is good and the bike is on and you still don't have power, then you have a problem. That's really strange. Do you have power at the dash accessory plug, the one that looks like a cigarette lighter outlet on the right side?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Tater Salad

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:27:58 AM »
Hi Conrad, The Dash accessory plug  has no power with the bike running. I was hoping to plug my GPS in. I found both front and back plugs checked them 3 times still no power. Tater

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »
Hi Conrad, The Dash accessory plug  has no power with the bike running. I was hoping to plug my GPS in. I found both front and back plugs checked them 3 times still no power. Tater

Somewhere there's a blown fuse, there has to be.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 08:03:26 AM »
Remove the  seat, in front of the tool case there is a fuse box, marked on the lid is 10AMP Accessory, change that fuse, it is probably blown. When he hooks the accessory back up make sure he hooks it up right.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
Hi guys,
Trying to get power to my accessory plug, the owner's manual says to connect the yellow and black bullet connectors under the glove box and in the rear under the seat latch, I've connected both of those, still no luck. 
Tater

Tater,
  I think you missed the 'to' in the above statement.  "Connect TO the black/yellow and black bullet
connectors"  Do NOT connect the two wires together.  As soon as you connect the two wires together, you blow the accessory fuse.   Check the fuse and separate those wires.

Mick

'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 06:54:29 AM »
What became of this problem Tater? You found the blown fuse right?

Offline Tater Salad

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 09:27:46 AM »
Right you were Conrad! As soon as you turn the key on... pop!
I think I did just what Kawimick said about connecting them together.
Yesterday with the world comming to a end at 6pm . I said the heck with it and We went for a great 250 mile loop it was70degrees and sunny,We had great day!
So now that we are still here safe and it is now raining again Im off to the shop to see what I did wrong.
Im also taking the tank and plastic off to take the flys out and change the stock exaust to a Area p full exaust and pc5.
Im glad I got freds videos. And you Guys that have been there done that first hand!! Take the time to help the new guys out!
Concours People on this fourm ROCK ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 05:05:21 AM »
Right you were Conrad! As soon as you turn the key on... pop!
I think I did just what Kawimick said about connecting them together.
Yesterday with the world comming to a end at 6pm . I said the heck with it and We went for a great 250 mile loop it was70degrees and sunny,We had great day!
So now that we are still here safe and it is now raining again Im off to the shop to see what I did wrong.
Im also taking the tank and plastic off to take the flys out and change the stock exaust to a Area p full exaust and pc5.
Im glad I got freds videos. And you Guys that have been there done that first hand!! Take the time to help the new guys out!
Concours People on this fourm ROCK ;D

Yep, if you connected those two wires together then that's the problem.

I went for a nice 200 mile ride yesterday too, 2 up.    ;D

Bob

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 08:16:34 AM »
Either way it sounds like he had some sort of short on the wires. Either connected together or had a bare spot hitting metal somewhere.