Author Topic: Double Dead Battery  (Read 903 times)

Offline YHSublime

Double Dead Battery
« on: January 12, 2022, 10:41:02 AM »
Hello all!

Last time I was riding, I got a "low transponder battery" warning. Since then we've had the coldest streak of the winter, and the motorcycle has been garaged.

I replaced the battery in the transponder, and went outside to start er' up today, it's been about 2 weeks since my last ride, and pushing down on the stovepipe just displayed a red LED on the dash. I presumed the battery on the actual motorcycle was dead, I don't have power to our garage, so I don't run a trickle charger. I tried to jump the battery, but nothing happened.

I'm placing bets on needing a new battery, double checked I put the battery in the transponder the right way. Just want to make sure I don't have to do anything special or tricks once a transponder battery has been replaced? I've been riding more over the winters, but outside of bringing my battery inside and putting it on a trickle or running an extension cord into the garage, are there any better options?
2013 kawasaki concours 14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Double Dead Battery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 03:30:08 PM »
You can test by using the passive part of the transponder.  Hold it as indicated in the owner's manual near the ignition for a moment and press the stovepipe.  Try again if nothing.  Still nothing, press down HARD and snap release it up and try again (switch could be stuck...  see "k rock").

It is difficult to really test a vehicle battery at home.  All you can to is use a VOM and that won't necessarily tell you anything but surface voltage.  Take it to a place that can charge it and then test it using a huge "pile" (load resistor).  Many places will do it free.  THAT will tell you if it needs replacement.  If you are not keeping it charged, especially when cold, and it is more than 4 or 5 years old, it is probably worn out anyway.

I strongly recommend using a smart trickle charger.  I have no power outside where my bike sits, I just used an extra-long cord to it and plug it in every time I am done riding.  It will greatly extend the life of the battery while also ensuring you are ready to go every time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline hank

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 08:39:45 AM »
I have the same situation with a tractor sits outside not near power, I use a small solar panel cost me about $40 if I recall right been awhile ago and it keeps the battery chraged great unless there are more than 4 days with no direct sunlight. just a thought.

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 09:46:45 AM »
I have the same situation with a tractor sits outside not near power, I use a small solar panel cost me about $40 if I recall right been awhile ago and it keeps the battery chraged great unless there are more than 4 days with no direct sunlight. just a thought.

That's actually a pretty great idea! Thanks!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 04:05:55 PM »
That's actually a pretty great idea! Thanks!

As long as nobody steals it :)  In your case, you could mount it somewhere.  Although I wouldn't think running a power line would be a big deal, but you didn't describe the distance or exact situation.  I can't imagine any garage not needing/deserving power.  There are no lights??  Power tools?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 08:45:59 AM »
As long as nobody steals it :)  In your case, you could mount it somewhere.  Although I wouldn't think running a power line would be a big deal, but you didn't describe the distance or exact situation.  I can't imagine any garage not needing/deserving power.  There are no lights??  Power tools?

I have wireless cameras all around the house, no way to get down the driveway without getting recorded :)

An extension cord would work. The garage is old as well, and the doors are in pretty shoddy condition. We have run power to the outsides front and back, but spacing out the projects, and garage power is last on the list. Power tools and projects get brought into the driveway and run off extension cords.