Author Topic: Don't Want Help? Fine!  (Read 1934 times)

Offline danl

Don't Want Help? Fine!
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »
Yesterday my wife and I had gone down to a friends farm to do some target shooting. Taking the back roads home, there is a decent somewhat twisty road that we like. I come around a fairly mild turn, there are 2 pirates pulled over, with a bike in the grass about 20' off the road. There is a big splash mark of water all over the road, so you can see that one of the riders hit the turn too hot, went off the road, his bike hit a gully filled with runoff, and he went ass over hat off the bike. We stop and ask if they want help, they say no, we're good. One guy is out with the bike, trying to get grass out from the floorboard area so he can push it a hundred feet or so to a spot where the gully ends and it can come back on the road.

The other guy, who was obviously the rider of that bike, is sitting on the 2nd bike. He's all banged up, you can see where his face removed the windshield from the bike. He's got cuts and bruises all over his face, he's covered in mud where he did a faceplant after he ejected. Not a helmet in sight. Probably had a concussion. Again, we ask "are you sure you don't need any help?". "No, we're good" OK... I asked twice. I'm sure the one guy could have used a hand getting the bike out of the grass, but I'm not going to beg you. Off we went... Of course this brings back bad memories for my wife when she had her unintentional dismount last summer, another flashback for her. 

Offline ugocon

Re: Don't Want Help? Fine!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
People are strange...
Anyway, you did right offering your help and also not insisting after their denial.
But people are strange sometimes, very strange...
 ???
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Snibbor

• Arena

Offline stewart

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:29:19 AM »
Very Strange. This winter a guy had his truck stuck in snow at the local ski hill. I said I'd help, he said no thanks. Spinning his wheels for 5 mins, I said I'd give him a push, replied no thanks. This went on for 45 mins....while we watched. Eventually he got out and no damage

Some people?
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 05:42:56 AM »
Shoulda pulled out your camera phone and took some pictures.   8)

You never know when its going to happen.  They were probably buzzed riding and didn't want any witnesses hanging around.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:20:36 AM »
Some people's pride can't get past their embarrassment.  First they goofed.  Second they were seen.  Third they were stuck.  Getting OUT of a predicament ALONE gives their pride some assuagement.  This is pretty much Human Nature 101 and isn't strange at all.  Prideful immaturity. 

Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384