Author Topic: PSA - Biker down  (Read 9465 times)

Offline Conrad

PSA - Biker down
« on: January 11, 2013, 10:31:39 AM »
Steps that may save someone's life. 

Lot's of pirates in the video but the steps you may need to take apply to anyone who rides. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siNMuMgvfpI&feature=player_embedded#!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: PSA - Biker down
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:10:16 AM »
Very appropriate since they seem to be the types wrecking the most.  ;D
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »
Trudat and in most cases you won't have to worry about wondering if you have to remove their helmet or not.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:02:24 PM »
Trudat and in most cases you won't have to worry about wondering if you have to remove their helmet or not.

:rotflmao:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »
It could be just as dangerous to remove their little doo-raggie things.

Sorry, shouldn't have said that, being stereotypical... my kids tell me that's bad.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »
yeah but those pirate types are always in control and FAST 

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline booger

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 05:13:33 PM »
It could be just as dangerous to remove their little doo-raggie things.

Sorry, shouldn't have said that, being stereotypical... my kids tell me that's bad.

That's OK.  When I wore a doo-rag I laughed at you guys wearing helmets.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »
Very appropriate since they seem to be the types wrecking the most.  ;D

Really?  Way more sport bike riders than cruiser riders reporting going down on the various forums I frequent. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 07:22:50 PM »
Really?  Way more sport bike riders than cruiser riders reporting going down on the various forums I frequent.

Funny how you just responded to my post. And riding around where I live, I see cruisers going down the most AND getting more serious injuries due to little to no gear. Riding on the BRP, I have only seen cruisers going down. Poker runs.....once again cruisers going down. You are not a cruiser only kind of guy, but many out there are and have very poor riding skills in comparison to other riders of various other flavors.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 06:46:03 AM »

Funny how you just responded to my post. And riding around where I live, I see cruisers going down the most AND getting more serious injuries due to little to no gear. Riding on the BRP, I have only seen cruisers going down. Poker runs.....once again cruisers going down. You are not a cruiser only kind of guy, but many out there are and have very poor riding skills in comparison to other riders of various other flavors.

A guess a lot of the cruiser riders in your area aren't enthusiasts who participate in motorcycle forums.  I agree that a lot of cruiser riders lacke skill, training, and a firm grasp on the reality of the dangers of riding.  Of course there are many times more cruiser riders on the road at any given moment (if the sun is out and it is warm) than all the other types of bikes combined. 

The other factor is that it takes more skill to ride a cruiser than most other style of bikes.

I was just reporting on what I observed from the various forums I frequent.  Your observations differ, but you are also in an area where the demographic of cruiser rider is different than my area. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 06:53:08 AM »
Ever think that theres more cruiser type bikes on the road than anything else. Look at the sales numbers and marketing trends. Cruiser type bikes outsell everything here, hence, more of them on the roads. Not very scientific on my part, just my observations, I could be wrong.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 07:09:06 AM »
A guess a lot of the cruiser riders in your area aren't enthusiasts who participate in motorcycle forums.  I agree that a lot of cruiser riders lacke skill, training, and a firm grasp on the reality of the dangers of riding.  Of course there are many times more cruiser riders on the road at any given moment (if the sun is out and it is warm) than all the other types of bikes combined. 

The other factor is that it takes more skill to ride a cruiser than most other style of bikes.

I was just reporting on what I observed from the various forums I frequent.  Your observations differ, but you are also in an area where the demographic of cruiser rider is different than my area.
I don't understand this statement.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 07:18:54 AM »

+1

I don't either for 3 reasons.

1) I've ridden both types

2) I take the MSF advanced course every few years and have done a police class  - The cruisers go through the slow obstacles easier than anything else, sport bikes won' roll at the speed of a rock well while maneuvering

3) cruisers only go the speed of  rock anyway
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 07:23:50 AM »
That's OK.  When I wore a doo-rag I laughed at you guys wearing helmets.

^^^^thats just funny right there! 

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »

Cruisers typically have budget suspension, feel hinged in the middle when leaned over, weight of the rider solidly on the seat.  If you run the curves at 60 MPH on a cruiser and at 60 MPH or a sport, standard, dual sport, adventure, or supersport, it will take more skill to run those curves on a cruiser.  You can't adjust your line as easily, and god forbid if you back tire breaks loose while all your weight is on the seat.

I run the same roads on all my bikes and doing so on the sporty bikes takes so much less effort. 
My Concours Travels:

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 11:20:21 AM »
+1

I don't either for 3 reasons.

1) I've ridden both types

2) I take the MSF advanced course every few years and have done a police class  - The cruisers go through the slow obstacles easier than anything else, sport bikes won' roll at the speed of a rock well while maneuvering

3) cruisers only go the speed of  rock anyway

I've taken the advanced MSF course on a dual sport, touring, and cruiser bike.  The dual sport performed the best.  DRZ400S with 80/20 tires.
My Concours Travels:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 12:12:23 PM »
The standard for cruiser riders, exceptions to the rule noted, is riding five miles under the speed limit in packs to close to pass while braking at the slightest hint of a curve. Not much in the way of skill required unless the dog paddle at stops counts.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 12:31:08 PM »
twowheel, thats interesting, I never knew that, but then I never really rode a cruiser type bike before, glad to know it though, thanks.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
I've taken the advanced MSF course on a dual sport, touring, and cruiser bike.  The dual sport performed the best.  DRZ400S with 80/20 tires.

I had a dual sport and never taken it through the MSF advanced course.  Interesting, I hadn't even thought about that

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 01:51:40 PM »
Cruisers typically have budget suspension, feel hinged in the middle when leaned over, weight of the rider solidly on the seat.  If you run the curves at 60 MPH on a cruiser and at 60 MPH or a sport, standard, dual sport, adventure, or supersport, it will take more skill to run those curves on a cruiser.  You can't adjust your line as easily, and god forbid if you back tire breaks loose while all your weight is on the seat.

I run the same roads on all my bikes and doing so on the sporty bikes takes so much less effort.

Well of course that is true, but a bit like showing up for a gunfight with a knife. Like I mentioned before, you are not the typical cruiser owner/rider due to the fact that you can and do ride and own other types of bikes. You already have skill on other better handling bikes, which allows you to really work the big ole cruisers easier than others which do not. Too many cruiser guys and gals are myopic, and that does them no favors when the roads begin to twist. Subpar braking and suspension on heavy ass bikes doesn't sound like fun to me, however they are quite comfy when lumbering along.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"