Author Topic: About time for new tires  (Read 14305 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: About time for new tires
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 07:07:39 AM »
I am going to have to change my rear shortly. Any experience with avon storm 2s? They have a $25-$50 rebate going for the month.

I have about 5500 miles on my Avon's. They handle a lot better then the OEM stones but I have no idea how they are compared to Michelins. My OEM's lasted 6500 miles and it is looking like the Storms will not do much better. I have only scraped the pegs once and most of the time do not push them in the corners. I put the Storms on in the fall and have had them over the winter and here in Colorado it just not a good idea to push the corners much in the winter, way too much sand and gravel. I have a set of PR3's sitting in the garage and will see this summer how they do compared to the Avon's or the OEM stones.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 09:56:55 AM »
Sorry to butt in, can someone please explain "chicken strips", "cupping" and "flat spotting"?  It may seem self explanatory, i just want to make sure i know what i am looking for. 

Thanks.

You really are a newb -- aren't you?

Chicken strips -- food you get at Dairy Queen.
Cupping -- something you do to "man-boobies."
Flat spotting -- streets without potholes.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline AKwhite

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 10:44:28 AM »
After the factory BT's and a long devotion to PR'2 I now got a set of Z6 Interact
and with close to 3000 miles on them they have my thumbs up over the PR'2s.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 03:02:48 PM »
Between the Angels and PR2's I would go with the  Angels for slightly better handling but less in longevity.  Just my opinion and yes I have used them both.

I'm trying out the evil Shinko 009s right now.  Just rode around through Arkansas and Missouri in the rain yesterday, dry today and they worked pretty well. 
T.S.R.

Offline ScottP

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 05:30:34 PM »
I finally put my Shinko Raven on the back to match the front, even though I probably had 2k left on the stocker.  I can say with no hesitation that this Shinko is round, is rubber, and it rolls.  All for $157.  What more do you need?

Offline mlouris

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 10:00:32 PM »
Thanks Capn' Bob,
You make a very rational argument. I have been loyal to Pilot Power 2CT since I switched from Dunlop 205s, then D207s a few years ago. After trying the PPs I was hooked.  I run them on all my sport bikes- Hayabusa, RC51 and Superhawk. The handling is only slightly better than the Dunlops, but the tire life, especially the rear is at least 2X if not 3X. But you have motivated me to try the Pirelli's on my new (used) Concours once the Pilot Road 2CT's wear out. Thanks for your thoughtful and intelligent comments. Until I have tried them I will not know if they are better.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 06:01:38 AM »
I havent heard anyone mention the bt-023. Any experiences with it yet?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 09:02:52 AM »
Choke....gasp..... sputter! Wow!

Yep, that ole' Cap'n Bob is thoughtful to an inciteful (sic) degree.

I can tell you why I gave him the nickname 'Cap'n' if you want....  ;D

Brian

Thanks Capn' Bob,
You make a very rational argument. I have been loyal to Pilot Power 2CT since I switched from Dunlop 205s, then D207s a few years ago. After trying the PPs I was hooked.  I run them on all my sport bikes- Hayabusa, RC51 and Superhawk. The handling is only slightly better than the Dunlops, but the tire life, especially the rear is at least 2X if not 3X. But you have motivated me to try the Pirelli's on my new (used) Concours once the Pilot Road 2CT's wear out. Thanks for your thoughtful and intelligent comments. Until I have tried them I will not know if they are better.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gflint

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 09:54:31 PM »
I went back to the PR2s.  I had good luck with them last time.  I read several reviews and got some good suggestions here.  The PR2s seem the best compromise.  In Montana there is a lot of slab riding to get to the good stuff so the Angles might go away too quickly.  $400 on the bike from my dealer.  After doing some price chasing on the internet I found them for in the $300 neighborhood.  Installation is about $50 so I am paying $50 to support my local dealer.  Well worth it.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.