Author Topic: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)  (Read 28529 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2018, 05:45:34 AM »
:)

Well, a hell of a lot of people can't do that (including me)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2018, 06:15:30 AM »
max, can you give a thumbs up?   Now stick your index finger out like you're pointing a gun. Do that three more times and before you know it you'll have counted to five on your fingers. Hope this helps.  8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2018, 06:18:28 AM »
You are wired differently...

I start from the thumb as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2018, 08:11:46 AM »

Because it's so natural for me I never imagined nobody else could do it :)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2018, 08:12:37 AM »
max, can you give a thumbs up?   Now stick your index finger out like you're pointing a gun. Do that three more times and before you know it you'll have counted to five on your fingers. Hope this helps.  8)
:finger_fing11: :rotflmao:
--

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2018, 08:25:51 AM »
I think it was 'three', and the difference was using or not- using the thumb. The guy gives himself away by signalling three not using his thumb; he signals three with his first three fingers, while a German would use his thumb and first two fingers. Which is all well and fine but I am an American and also use my thumb when indicating "drei". For 'one' and 'two', I use fingers. For 'three', I use two fingers and thumb. For four, I use all four fingers and no thumb. There is only one way I know of to signal five with one hand (and your pants up).

What is interesting in Germany is that people wear their wedding rings on their right hands, as do Orthodox Christians, at least commonly. Germans wear their wedding bands on their left hands to signal engagement but move it to the right hand once actually married. But that seems to be a German rather than European custom and I believe they wear wedding rings on the left hand in the UK as we do in the US.

Brian

Ah yes you are correct, it was 3. The only time I would use the thumb is for 5.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2018, 10:58:34 AM »
In the US, the chant 'For he's a jolly good fellow' ends with 'which nobody can deny'. I believe in the UK it is the same except for the end, which is 'and so say all of us'.

I assume we stole that from you so your version would take precedence..... :-)

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »
In the US, the chant 'For he's a jolly good fellow' ends with 'which nobody can deny'. I believe in the UK it is the same except for the end, which is 'and so say all of us'.

I assume we stole borrowed that from you so your version would take precedence..... :-)

Brian

We didn't want to get hit with copyright infringement.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2018, 01:22:52 PM »
Yeah well, I think they were chucking lead balls at us from Brown Bess's at the time so copyrights were probably not a high priority.

This may be like the aluminum / aluminium thingy where they invented it, we adopted (read: stole) it, then they changed it later while we kept on with the version that worked for 200 years. Not sure where or when the 'jolly good fellow' thingy changed but with any luck, maxtog will put in a link to the solution.

:-)

Brian

We didn't want to get hit with copyright infringement.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2018, 04:08:22 PM »

Must be something about us short people. I can barely do it but the third finger doesn't quite extend all the way out and neither does the forth until the pinkie goes out. I also can't make the Scout 3 finger salute as my thumbs (and coincidentally my big toes) seem different from everybody else's as they just don't have the range of motion to get all the way over to the pinkie to hold it down.  I hold up three fingers by holding down the index finger with the thumb and extending the last three. Weird, my thumbs and big toes are. I can do the Spock salute, so there's that. 🖖

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2018, 04:23:38 PM »

That doesn't work for many (most?) people.  The tendons that connect the ring and pinky finger often work partially in tandem without full range of independent motion.  You can count to three only and then it is impossible to hold up the ring finger with the pinky still down, it will stick halfway up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TZLAzfyc_0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2018, 04:30:03 PM »
Must be something about us short people.

I have a long torso, but short legs/arms.  But I doubt standing height has much to do with it.

I also can't make the Scout 3 finger salute as my thumbs (and coincidentally my big toes) seem different from everybody else's as they just don't have the range of motion to get all the way over to the pinkie to hold it down.  I hold up three fingers by holding down the index finger with the thumb and extending the last three.

I don't have that limitation.  I can easily hold down my pinky with my thumb.

Hey, this thread is turning into "stupid people/human tricks" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plRTqSfJPDc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS9JhqEVLDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OafgpuxSKKo

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2018, 04:32:52 PM »
C'mon max get that little finger working...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2018, 04:38:55 PM »
C'mon max get that little finger working...

ROTFLOL!
 :rotflmao:

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »

Hey, this thread is turning into "stupid people/human tricks" 

In an effort to come back from the prestidigital dexterity....

soft drinks such as the Colas etc.

As a generic term we call them "pop" rather than "soda" a;though we do have a variety/flavour  of "pop" that is called "american cream soda" 
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2018, 06:18:05 PM »
"soda" or "soft drink" here

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2018, 06:34:06 PM »
staying on the drinks front, dedicated shops for buying booze (ass opposed to picking up from a general supermarket/corner shop/convenience store

"Liquor Store" vs "Off Licence"

The word "off-licence" comes from the way premises are licensed to sell alcohol over here.

A bar/restaurant/pub would typically have a licence to sell alcohol either fro consumption "on" the premises or in some cases "on" or "off" the premises.

By an elegant extension of that any place that sells alcohol for consumption "off" the premises is an "off licence"

Technically the supermarkets etc have the same licence however an "offy" is usually reserved for referring to a smaller corner shop type place that sell predominantly alcohol , although it may also sell other goods as well.

As a complete contrast I do find the Swedish "Systembolaget " system interesting. When I was over there back in the 90's if you wanted to buy alcohol (over 3.5% by volume) to consume at home you had to go to one of these state run shops, take a ticket, order your booze & pick it up from a window. They were also only open very restricted hours although I believe that has changed slightly recently.

--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2018, 06:45:15 PM »
Just realised the Swedish system is very similar to that in many US States whilst over here it's more like California (I believe) where you can buy alcohol from pretty much anywhere that holds a licence.

If I ran out of JD (for example)  I could just nip down to the petrol station around the corner from me (that's open 24/7) and pick up a bottle anytime I want.
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2018, 07:08:00 PM »
Just realised the Swedish system is very similar to that in many US States whilst over here it's more like California (I believe) where you can buy alcohol from pretty much anywhere that holds a licence.

Assuming we are talking about off-site consumption...

In most (all?) States, you can buy alcohol from pretty much anywhere that holds a license.  But you have to define "alcohol".  What is available depends on the strength.  Beer and wine- just about anywhere.  But "hard liquor" is often restricted to "ABC" (alcoholic beverage control) stores.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2018, 07:42:52 PM »
Assuming we are talking about off-site consumption...

In most (all?) States, you can buy alcohol from pretty much anywhere that holds a license.  But you have to define "alcohol".  What is available depends on the strength.  Beer and wine- just about anywhere.  But "hard liquor" is often restricted to "ABC" (alcoholic beverage control) stores.

Over  here you either have a licence to sell alcohol or you don't. As simple as that, although actually getting the correct licence isn't necessarily simple ;)
--