Author Topic: Mccruise or Rostra  (Read 3473 times)

Offline xet

Mccruise or Rostra
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:24:29 PM »
I don't have the skill to install a cruise control on my 2015 Connie. I'll have to have it installed. What I worried about is $200 Rosta +$800 install vs $800 McCruise+ $200 install. How much has anyone paid to have either of these installed? I hear good things about both, keeping speed well. I'd really like $200 unit + $200 install or less.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Mccruise or Rostra
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 05:01:16 AM »
I've done 2 rostra's but have never done a mccruise. Are those install cost number actual quotes from someone? If they are, I'd say go with mccruise as it is purpose built for this bike. But if you don't have actual quotes, I would first find someone who can do the install and as them for the price. You might be able to save some bucks on the rostra. Where you at?

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 09:08:40 AM »
The point of going McCruise is that it's supposed to be plug&play simple.
It's just expensive! $800! If you have to have someone else install either system for you, ya gotta pay...

A Rostra is much cheaper, but requires more work. They'll run ya between $250-300. It takes me around 10 hrs. labor to install one on a C14. The first one I did took me a weekend... mostly because I didn't have a good understanding of the system, how it works, and what it takes to make it work.
I had to get my hands dirty, roll up my sleeves, and learn by doing.

I've installed 8 Rostras, and serviced 3. (Damages caused by offroading, etc. Never problems with the Rostra itself.) I've also installed an Audiovox CCS-100. It worked perfectly for 2 years, too... then quit.
Turned out to be a defective servo circuit board, and was caused by the bike owner taking his bike to a mechanic for engine work, and the guy decided (for some stupid reason) to move and rewire the cruise's brake relay. When he did, he wired it wrong, and when the brakes were applied, it shorted out the servo's CB. Replaced servo, rewired the relay properly... back in business again.

Installing a Rostra system does take time, ability, some skill, and some tools.
But, it is possible for the average shade tree mechanic to do successfully.
I have no idea where you are located, I'm in Tulsa.
Happy to help if you're nearby, or I have my own electrical schematic I can send you to add with BDF's download instructions.
I've helped a lot of folks get their's going, and I'm here if you decide to tackle it and have questions.
Just let me know.

Good luck, whichever way you go.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline robval1987

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 08:34:49 PM »
I have put Rostra Cruise Control units on 4 different types of bikes. I've  installed it on a 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2011Yamaha Raider, 2004 Connie and now a 2010 Connie. Each presented it's own issues, placement of the main servo unit, and then wiring in brake relays  (issues with led brake lights vs non led brake lights) speed sensors, clutch disengagement. All have had its own issues, but each one was resolved and the Cruise Control worked flawlessly. Much cheaper then McCruise which seems like they also have their own issues as well.
Retired U.S. Army, Retired Law Enforcement Officer
"Don't ride faster then your Guardian Angel can fly."