Author Topic: What would the ultimate BRAKE UP be??  (Read 10355 times)

Offline Cuda

Re: What would the ultimate BRAKE UP be??
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 04:46:01 AM »
The brakes are fine,  ZG is just Pimping , what about curb feelers , and a Tiger tail  :stirpot:

https://www.denniskirk.com/493210.sku?utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_medium=cse
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 08:06:06 AM »
The C10 forum is full of owners saying those are the best brakes ever- or these are more than adequate- or- They are fine -leave them alone. These same people must not  have  ridden a C10 with upgraded brakes with SS lines but they sure are quick to comment  on ' what a waste big brake kits are' or 'no need for those' .  I say the stock brakes on the C10 were not adequate ( A nice way to say stock brakes and lines  pretty much sucked).
Here I see we have some  C14 forum folks sounding just like they did.
Then there are folks like me- with a C10 that has  upgraded 320 mm rotors (bigger than the C14) with 4pot calipers- H.H. pads and SS lines and one day I buy a C14 and say to myself:
'I am disappointed- these  C14 brakes are not as good as my C10 brakes'.   So I replace the pads and install SS lines- and take the bike to the Kawasaki shop to have the warped rotors replaced again under warranty. Yes they are now better but I think they could be even better with larger rotors.
I have not tried 330 rotors myself  but I bet I would like them and for the cost of a few spacers,a few bolts that are longer for the calipers and  $170 for a pair of Chinese Ebay  330mm rotors it justifies  me trying it . I have not found a set in 330 yet. 320 yes
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Brake-Disc-Rotor-KAWASAKI-ZX14R-NINJA-ZZR-1400-06-10-07-08-09-/200713670916?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebb779104&vxp=mtr

I see  a few  others on the forum did install 330mm rotors. A 20mm increase in diameter is a lot.  Please chime in- A waste of time and money or do you have better brakes and do you like them?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:37:41 AM by Daytona_Mike »
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 08:19:25 AM »
Mike, I agree. We spend lots of money to go faster than the law allows but when it comes time to slow down it's a waste of money? When mine come due I'll upgrade rather than just replace.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 08:22:52 AM »
The C10 forum is full of owners saying those are the best brakes ever- or these are more than adequate- or- They are fine -leave them alone. These same people must not  have  ridden a C10 with upgraded brakes with SS lines but they sure are quick to comment  on ' what a waste big brake kits are' or 'no need for those' .  I say the stock brakes on the C10 were not adequate ( A nice way to say stock brakes and lines  pretty much sucked).

Totally agree with the assessment of the C10 stock braking system.  I see nothing wrong with the stock C14 brakes however I think that's all relative depending on what you came from. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 08:40:39 AM »
Ya know, I find this brake assessment a bit odd.

Almost every test review I've read about the C14 said they gave thumbs down to the C14 brakes.
Most hate the linked setup.
Many complain about how fast the stock front rotors warp.
No secret how many hits the C14's have taken about this issue.

So, now I'm hearing from some long-time owners how they feel the stock brakes are "the best".

I've owned my 2011 now since April 2012. Has almost 20,000 miles.

My personal opinion...
They're ok, and the linked setup doesn't bother me.
When I first bought it, since they were linked, I tried to stop it with just the brake lever, and only slight pedal. Within 3500 miles, the front rotors warped.
Since then, they are still warped, but I have found that using the brake pedal primarily, and adding the lever more towards the end of the stop has helped tremendously, and I've seen no more additional worsening in the warping condition. In fact, stopping using mostly pedal eliminates almost all the warped sensation. Brake pad wear still looks good, so no excessive pad wear has been noticed.

I would like to go with some Galfer rotors or the like, but can't believe how expensive brake rotors are for this bike.

Good to hear some like the Chinese rotors, but I won't be going that route due to past bad experiences with everything else they make.

Aside from the warping, I think the stock brakes are good on the C14.
Rotor problem would be the only thing I'd change.

Now, if I had the bucks...that Brembo setup Jay posted looks pretty sweet!
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 08:54:23 AM »
Here I see we have some  C14 forum folks sounding just like they did.
Then there are folks like me- with a C10 that has  upgraded 320 mm rotors (bigger than the C14) with 4pot calipers- H.H. pads and SS lines and one day I buy a C14 and say to myself:
'I am disappointed- these  C14 brakes are not as good as my C10 brakes'.   So I replace the pads and install SS lines- and take the bike to the Kawasaki shop to have the warped rotors replaced again under warranty. Yes they are now better but I think they could be even better with larger rotors.
I have not tried 330 rotors myself  but I bet I would like them and for the cost of a few spacers,a few bolts that are longer for the calipers and  $170 for a pair of Chinese Ebay  330mm rotors it justifies  me trying it .

I see  a few  others on the forum did install 330mm rotors. A 20mm increase in diameter is a lot.  Please chime in- A waste of time and money or do you have better brakes and do you like them?

:goodpost:

Thanks for that post Mike.  :)

I'm not sure why but I sure seem to have quite a few haters on here lately, at least it feels that way to me.  :(

Some folks seem to think I work for the government and am wasting "their" tax money or something... I work hard for my money and if I spend some of it on bike parts isn't that totally my choice? It's not like I'm on food stamps, or unemployment, or anything government funded and then just wasting my $ on bike stuff, it's 100% my $ that I spend. I'm sure there are many things other folks spend $ on that post up here that I don't spend $ on, and that's fine with me, it's your $. If you want to spend your own $ on crack, or gambling, or boats, or cars, or an $8 Starbucks coffee, etc, then go for it, it's your $ and who am I to judge you... All the negative posts and jabs on what I do to my bike or how I spend my $ is one of the reasons I spend less time on the forum lately. I would have thought that folks would want to know what is capable when it comes to upgrading or changing things up on the C14, but more often than not lately it seems I'm the odd ball out and that many just want to keep their bikes 100% stock, if that's the case then why is their an accessory section on this forum?

Sorry for the rant, my frustration with all the haters on here lately has been building... :1DeadBanana

To all of you non-haters, thanks for the help as always! :grouphug: :chugbeer:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »
Ah, Jay, if they only knew... ;) ;D   Not a hater...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »
I'm not sure why but I sure seem to have quite a few haters on here lately, at least it feels that way to me.   

Some folks seem to think I work for the government and am wasting "their" tax money or something... I work hard for my money and if I spend some of it on bike parts isn't that totally my choice? It's not like I'm on food stamps, or unemployment, or anything government funded and then just wasting my $ on bike stuff, it's 100% my $ that I spend. I'm sure there are many things other folks spend $ on that post up here that I don't spend $ on, and that's fine with me, it's your $. If you want to spend your own $ on crack, or gambling, or boats, or cars, or an $8 Starbucks coffee, etc, then go for it, it's your $ and who am I to judge you... All the negative posts and jabs on what I do to my bike or how I spend my $ is one of the reasons I spend less time on the forum lately. I would have thought that folks would want to know what is capable when it comes to upgrading or changing things up on the C14, but more often than not lately it seems I'm the odd ball out and that many just want to keep their bikes 100% stock, if that's the case then why is their an accessory section on this forum?

:finger_fing11: :chugbeer:
I appreciate your efforts and like seeing your bike. Your dedication to this bike is impressive I'm sure I will follow suit with some of your farkels and suspension choices. Seeing your posts and pics makes it easier for me to make these choices.
So thanks.  :chugbeer:

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 05:18:05 AM »
Jealousy makes people nasty....farkle on brother Jay!! Love the work and ideas!!  :thumbs: :)

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 06:01:45 AM »
Jealousy makes people nasty....farkle on brother Jay!! Love the work and ideas!!  :thumbs: :)

+1, keep the farkling going....
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 06:28:56 AM »
I'm not sure why but I sure seem to have quite a few haters on here lately, at least it feels that way to me.   

:finger_fing11: :chugbeer:
I appreciate your efforts and like seeing your bike. Your dedication to this bike is impressive I'm sure I will follow suit with some of your farkels and suspension choices. Seeing your posts and pics makes it easier for me to make these choices.

I encourage odd balls here... :banana :banana :banana

There's always going to be someone that disagrees with something one says or what one does.  It's human nature.  Either attack it with humor or just ignore it.  Jay does so many things with his bike that it's now considered a test platform and NASA has started conversations with him.  I'm glad he does what he does and I'm glad he's here.  I also appreciate the other members that contribute to these boards and make our forum what it is. ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 06:57:32 AM »

+1, keep the farkling going....

I encourage odd balls here... :banana :banana :banana

There's always going to be someone that disagrees with something one says or what one does.  It's human nature.  Either attack it with humor or just ignore it.  Jay does so many things with his bike that it's now considered a test platform and NASA has started conversations with him.  I'm glad he does what he does and I'm glad he's here.  I also appreciate the other members that contribute to these boards and make our forum what it is. ;D

:)
Thanks brutha's!  :grouphug: :chugbeer:

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 06:02:36 PM »
Good to hear some like the Chinese rotors, but I won't be going that route due to past bad experiences with everything else they make.
C14lvr  -   There are many of us now using the cheap ebay rotors. There has not been any complaints but instead  praise. Most all rotors  may very well all  come from China anyway.   They look and feel just like the expensive Galfer rotors. I have a set of 320mm on my C10 and my friend has a set on his ZX14.  You cannot warp them. Trust me we have tried. There is no reason you should be riding around with warped rotors.
You can buy them in stock sizes but why  would you? Buy the 320's.  The spacers and longer bolts are readily available.  If it doesn't work out  then sell it on ebay and put your bike back to the way it is now but I think you will be pleased.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 09:32:34 AM »

I'm not sure why but I sure seem to have quite a few haters on here lately, at least it feels that way to me.  :(

Sorry for the rant, my frustration with all the haters on here lately has been building... :1DeadBanana

Jay, ignore the naysayers; they are jealous. We all have hobbies and passions in life. If customizing your motorcycle to infinity makes you happy, so be it...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »
Jay, ignore the naysayers; they are jealous. We all have hobbies and passions in life. If customizing your motorcycle to infinity makes you happy, so be it...

+1

I work hard at my career so I can do what I want, and early retirement and toys are a priority for me too.

The naysayers really want your bikes anyway
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 11:39:52 AM »
Right, Steve.  You just keep on thinking that.  :rotflmao:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 01:52:25 PM »

Yes! Farkle on brother! Love seeing your pictures of the most blinged out C14 on the planet!  :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 04:40:36 PM »

+1

I work hard at my career so I can do what I want, and early retirement and toys are a priority for me too.

The naysayers really want your bikes anyway

Yes! Farkle on brother! Love seeing your pictures of the most blinged out C14 on the planet!  :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

:grouphug: :) :chugbeer:

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2014, 07:06:59 AM »
C14lvr  -   There are many of us now using the cheap ebay rotors. There has not been any complaints but instead  praise. Most all rotors  may very well all  come from China anyway.   They look and feel just like the expensive Galfer rotors. I have a set of 320mm on my C10 and my friend has a set on his ZX14.  You cannot warp them. Trust me we have tried. There is no reason you should be riding around with warped rotors.
You can buy them in stock sizes but why  would you? Buy the 320's.  The spacers and longer bolts are readily available.  If it doesn't work out  then sell it on ebay and put your bike back to the way it is now but I think you will be pleased.

Great! Thanks, Mike.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr