Author Topic: Heli ST Horizon feedback request  (Read 8896 times)

Offline seajay

Heli ST Horizon feedback request
« on: May 14, 2012, 07:22:48 AM »
I'm kicking around the idea of springing for a set of the HeliBars Horizon ST bars (http://www.helibars.com/product/new-multi-adjustable-handlebars-c14).

I know that there are at least a couple of people here that have these installed, and I'm looking for feedback on your experiences. I'm expecting largely positive, but especially interested in anything negative that you may have come across and that I should be aware of.

Any issues with the install? Did you DIY, pay a dealer/other third party, or go to one of their install events?

Any riding issues or unexpected negative handling effects?

Anything you wish they had or did but now realize that they don't?

I've currently got Murph's risers and wedges installed, but I still start feeling pain in my neck and shoulders after a couple of hours, and I'd like to not have that happen. Basically, I'm looking for someone to talk me out of getting a set. Yep, I know, it's a LOT of coin to be dropping, but if these things are as good as they seem, I'm getting comfortable with that trade-off. Better yet, she-who-must-be-obeyed has signed off on the purchase. ;D

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide.

09 C14 ABS, Black

Offline kawacop1642

Re: Heli ST Horizon feedback request
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 09:42:35 AM »
I have the same setup as you Jay, and am starting to get a numb feeling in my right hand after an hour or so. I also am interested in some feedback from others who have the ST bars installed. Although the risers are far better then the stock setup, I stiil find myself scooting towards the tank for a more upright position. They are pricey, but maybe woth it in the long haul.

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:40:11 AM »
I'm kicking around the idea of springing for a set of the HeliBars Horizon ST bars (http://www.helibars.com/product/new-multi-adjustable-handlebars-c14).

I know that there are at least a couple of people here that have these installed, and I'm looking for feedback on your experiences. I'm expecting largely positive, but especially interested in anything negative that you may have come across and that I should be aware of.

Any issues with the install? Did you DIY, pay a dealer/other third party, or go to one of their install events?

I've currently got Murph's risers and wedges installed, but I still start feeling pain in my neck and shoulders after a couple of hours, and I'd like to not have that happen. Basically, I'm looking for someone to talk me out of getting a set. Yep, I know, it's a LOT of coin to be dropping, but if these things are as good as they seem, I'm getting comfortable with that trade-off. Better yet, she-who-must-be-obeyed has signed off on the purchase. ;D

I had the same setup and was quite satisified with it until I went to the Russell Day Long seat.  This past Friday evening I installed the Advanced Sports Touring pull back risers with wedges.  I did not get a chance to put enough miles on to make a definitive claim, but I will say that they seem a lot better with the RDL and incredibly better when I switched back to my Spencer modified stock seat.  If these don't work for me, I will be going for the Heli's, despite the cost!
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:52:09 AM »

Make sure you spring for the longer cables. Yes, it's an extra $50 but you get both the front brake and the clutch cable, and they also include the small cable that goes from the right front caliper to the left front caliper. They look like black braided line and are far, far better looking than the cable extenders that come with the kit.

I cannot offer any reason, other than the price, to NOT go with the Helibars. They are very high in both quality and appearance. I can now sit all the way back on my seat and still ride upright with little to no pressure on my wrists and hands...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline seajay

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 06:42:51 AM »
Thanks for your input, Mal and Max. I did see the posts that Max linked to, and it's good to see the positive reviews.

What I was fishing for, though, was maybe there's someone that installed these and didn't like them for some reason, but has remained quiet. My search came up empty for the negatives, but if that situation exists, I'm hoping to hear about it so that I can make the most informed decision possible.

I do seem to hear a lot of silence when asking about the negatives, so maybe that's my answer.  :)
09 C14 ABS, Black

Offline Mike_M

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »

I'm sure someone may have a negative.  I think once you get a pair and adjust them for your riding style you'll be hard pressed to find a negative.   My .02

Offline Steve K

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »
I love mine.  I have a Russell seat, and the Heli's really work well with it.  The upright riding position lets you sit on the Russell in a way that gets the most out of it.  Went riding with a friend last weekend, and he said it looks like my riding position is the same as a BMW touring bike.  Upright, but not "cruiser."   

Offline Spikey01

• Badgers? We don't need no steenking Badgers!
    • Michael Hamilton Web Design
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 01:11:14 AM »
Make sure you spring for the longer cables. Yes, it's an extra $50 but you get both the front brake and the clutch cable, and they also include the small cable that goes from the right front caliper to the left front caliper. They look like black braided line and are far, far better looking than the cable extenders that come with the kit.

$50 for both lines? Full lines master cylinder to caliper? That's a great deal. Of course more install time... But definitely worth it.
Michael Hamilton

...and Bob's your uncle.

Offline billyzoom

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »
I've had quite a few long rides on mine since the install. 

I took mine to the dealer for the install. 

Pros are almost everything.  Adjustability is phenomenal...I thought I'd be able to rotate the grip angle to some degree (like between 3 and 4 o'clock), but that's the one adjustment you can't quite get.  But I'm comfortable, so I'm pretty happy. 

Only real downsides to me are in inability to reduce the length back to the rider.  I wish they offered a version that was maybe 1-1/2 or 2 inches shorter.  They come a bit closer to me than I think is ideal.  I feel like I need to move a bit farther back on my seat, but I can't.  I'll address that with my new seat.  Other than that, I think the looks still aren't great.  But I bought the bike to ride, not to be looked at.  ANd I can ride much farther, much more comfortably. 

Handling feels even better to me now, as the grips and reach are better than stock.  I took it up to the mountains last weekend for the first time and I was very, very happy. 

If you can afford it, do it.  And I definitely agree on the longer lines.  That's what I did, and they look great and feel great.

Joel
2007 Ducati S4Rs
2012 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »
I installed mine...real easy to do. I have just the line extenders, which don't look great, but the install is a lot easier than doing the longer lines since a full bleed is not necessary.

As far as comfort, it is 1000% better than when I had murphs risers, just wedges, wedges and risers. Nothing worked until the Horizons. Now I can ride for as long as my butt will allow (seat to come next) without any problems in my wrist/arm/shoulders. Nice comfortable neutral sitting position now.

My only negative is the same as Billyzoom's. I would like them to be adjustable to shorten the extender bars. I am 6'2", with long arms and an inch or two shorter would be great when hitting the twisties.  Now, on  WVA ride last year, I had no problem leaning into the bars, but I felt my arms where just a bit too bent when really leaning in.

There is another option out there that may work. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12644.0
Wish I had the $ to get a set and test out. I'll just stick with my Horizons, and work on getting a new seat done.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline JMills

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 11:05:12 AM »
I tried a number different set ups to cure my numb right hand.  I solved my numb hand with a carpal tunnel release surgery.  Some people have more issues with carpal tunnel. 
2010 Connie ABS

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 01:40:04 PM »
I have a set that I installed.  I replaced both full lines and the clutch was a PITA to bleed, otherwise it is pretty simple.   As stated the adjustment is great.  I can understand how some feel they could be a little close but that just allowed me the ability to get into the comfortable portion of my Laam seat.  I spent a lot of time and money on other options and in the end I should have just bought the Horizons first.  I cannot think of any reason not to purchase them. 

Also take a look at ZG's option.  They may work better if you have long arms.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:01:34 AM by 556ALPHA »

Offline Broz

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »
I have them, did not install them. Got the longer line too. With the stock seat, which puts you close to the tank if you have long arms you might feel crowded. When I changed to the Corbin Seat it got me a few inches off the tank and I Think it is a perfect set up.   I really love the ergonomics of the bike now.  I say the bars are well worth the money.
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline curly

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 07:17:27 AM »
Ok, I suppose I'm the only person here who has bought a set and sold them. My problem was the numbness in my right hand. I tried risers, grip puppies, etc before the Heli's.

I bought the Heli's installed them myself and rode for a month with every imaginable position they would adjust too and still got the numbness in my hand. So I chalked it up to either the bike has a problem or I do. Most likely it is me because I got the numbness from every bike I have ever owned.

I sold them and went back to the totally stock bar set-up and now use a Kaoko throttle lock and a cramp buster. This set-up makes riding pretty tolerable for me.

Long story short I would say the only negative to the Heli's is the price of admission.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline MMMOTORCYCLE

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 08:36:19 AM »
Just received my ST's and longer lines. There is a small brass bead that appers to fit in the female end of the line. However, the male end has the same contour?? Doesnt look look like it will fit with the bead. Also got 4 copper crush washers...2 on the banjo, what are the other 2 for??

Thanks

Mike

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 02:14:05 PM »
Uhhh, silly question, but are there instructions?
Maybe call the manufacturer?
We have no clue, you haven't told or shown us anything about the parts in question, or what they are intended for.

Just a guess, but I have no idea about the brass bead... but as the mc for both the clutch, and brake, use crush washers, you should have 4, at least...

Maybe download the installation manual???

https://www.helibars.com/resources/guides/582/en/HST04058_WEB.pdf

Or view online?

https://www.helibars.com/resources/guides/582/en/HST04058_WEB.pdf

So, I have no life, nor do I have a $700 set of parts that are sitting in front of me, while I type a question asking someone to tell me what's what...
But, I could manage to download the instructions, which are quite good I must say... the crush washers go on both ends of the fluid hose extensions, where they meet the mc, and the coupling with a bleedervalve and new banjo bolt assembly, best to read the instructions.... its all spelled out... no idea about the brass beed tho.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:45:22 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MMMOTORCYCLE

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
If you read the instructions, they do not include new extended lines just their extenders.

Galfers doesn't even say they offer lines for the Concours 14. No luck their either.

Its Saturday and nobody works.

The banjo bolt only takes 2 washers. Apparently 2 are spares.

Someone who has done the install with new lines will have a better understanding of what I'm referring to.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2016, 10:46:04 PM »
Well, it might help if you laid all the parts out, took a picture, and posted it up, because the instructions I downloaded only show extender lines...

And my mind reading skills and machine are out of order...

Sorry, hopefully someone has a "new" version kit, and can assist you.

As for the brass bead, I still have no clue....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline amphibsailor

• Just call me Cap'n Crunch, Ted.
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 07:39:05 AM »
If you read the instructions, they do not include new extended lines just their extenders.

Galfers doesn't even say they offer lines for the Concours 14. No luck their either.

Its Saturday and nobody works.

The banjo bolt only takes 2 washers. Apparently 2 are spares.

Someone who has done the install with new lines will have a better understanding of what I'm referring to.

My +6 SS lines are Galfer.  Check out their catalog or give them a call.
09 Concours aka Cruncher: Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 lines, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg on the way),  Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.