Author Topic: How much boot protection?  (Read 11070 times)

Offline GMan

How much boot protection?
« on: September 23, 2016, 07:47:48 AM »
After 40 years of accident-free riding, I laid my bike down on the street for the first time. I almost walked away thanks to my gear, but the bike landed on my ankle and broke it. The only part of ATGATT I leave off is boots when commuting to work. I would like to hear  "informed conjecture" from anyone with a similar experience. Would a standard touring boot have likely made a difference? I'm certainly going to be rethinking my habit, but I'm not sure they would have stopped 700 pounds anyway.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: How much boot protection?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 08:00:17 AM »
I commute every day. And I'm lazy. I don't want to drag on a bulky boot then change into normal shoes at work. So I've been using very easy on and off boots. I'm currently using Alpenstars MX-1 boots. They are easier to put on and off then my tennis shoes and are so comfortable I just wear them all day. I doubt they would have prevented a broken ankle but I think they would prevent serious foot and ankle road rash.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 08:37:31 AM »
After 40 years of accident-free riding, I laid my bike down on the street for the first time. I almost walked away thanks to my gear, but the bike landed on my ankle and broke it. The only part of ATGATT I leave off is boots when commuting to work. I would like to hear  "informed conjecture" from anyone with a similar experience. Would a standard touring boot have likely made a difference? I'm certainly going to be rethinking my habit, but I'm not sure they would have stopped 700 pounds anyway.

Care to share some details of your accident?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline GMan

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
Thanks, Rhino. I feel similarly about my touring boots although I obviously haven't been wearing them to work. As for the accident, I was riding into the sun at rush hour when I came upon unexpectedly stopped traffic. I aimed for the narrow left shoulder but the bike flipped when I hit the curb. That's the best I can describe it short of a novel.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »
Fortunately, I have not had occasion to use my boots at any speed, but did have a tipover in a parking lot. My C-10 fell on my left ankle and the thick and fairly stiff soles and the thick boots saved me a sprained ankle at least, a break a best. I just dragged my foot out from under the bike and stood up.

When I commuted every day, I left a couple of pairs of slipper style shoes under my desk and would just sit down and change. Occasionally, I'd forget and wear my boots all day. Now if I have to go someplace requiring dress shoes, I just throw a towel in the top box and stand on it to change and store the boots until I'm done. Then reverse the process. It's a little aggravating, but so is a damaged ankle.

They're AlpineStars with a velcro strap across the top of the foot and a velcro flap on each side. Very easy to put on and off and secure on my feet but comfortable. Had them for going on seven years now.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »

I always wear full-height, thick soled, heavy, leather, motorcycle boots when riding.  That said, I don't think they would prevent a fracture.  It is mostly to help prevent scraping, heat contact, and lacerations.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 04:18:30 PM »
Having recently broken my 20 year rules on boots, and wearing sneakers lately, I'm gonna stop doing the sneaker thing again.
I've never sustained an ankle or leg fracture while wearing shin high boots, and I can say for certain, I would have in instances the boots "sleeve" prevented localized pressure on leg bones, and especially ankle bones. I've hit the ground hard, and twisted bones in every manner, and even had other riders drive over my lower legs on tracks, my knees have seen multiple visits to the ortho doctor, but my ankles, and shins have survived with little more than bruising, and soreness..

Wear the highest boots that are comfortable, shin high at a minimum...
A pair of comfey shoes at work to change into when you get there is a normal thing... just preserve the bones you have now... the 5 minutes of walking into work, and changing shoes is priceless...

And if you wear substandard foot and leg protection, based on what your "peers" see when you are putting on shoes at work, flip them off, and tell them to go play naked in the freeway.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 04:39:14 PM »
 ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 04:41:58 PM »
Would the bathtub bars like the MC Enterprises help ? I have  a friend who went down on his HD with some sort of crash bars.No bone brakes but he figured if he had not had steel toes boots on he would have ground  a toe or two  off!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline O.C.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 04:37:58 AM »
Sorry to hear of your accident, and hope that you recover quickly

As for boots (or any riding gear) I always, always use the best I can afford, for boots I use these which are comfy, easy to wear, waterproof and very safe  :) 

http://www.bikersbargains.co.uk/sidi-adventure-goretex-motorcycle-boots.html?gclid=CPGV-9nnp88CFVQ_GwodYXEGdg
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 05:55:03 AM »
Would the bathtub bars like the MC Enterprises help ?

Yes and no.

On the one hand, crash bars can keep the bike from falling on your legs (or other parts).  But on the other, if you DO somehow get caught under the bars, they could greatly increase the damage to you (by concentrating the weight/energy).

But I believe the yes overpowers the no and that it is much more of a safety positive than a safety risk.  And that is one of the reasons I have crash bars!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline GMan

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 10:44:45 AM »
Having recently broken my 20 year rules on boots, and wearing sneakers lately, I'm gonna stop doing the sneaker thing again.
I've never sustained an ankle or leg fracture while wearing shin high boots, and I can say for certain, I would have in instances the boots "sleeve" prevented localized pressure on leg bones, and especially ankle bones. I've hit the ground hard, and twisted bones in every manner, and even had other riders drive over my lower legs on tracks, my knees have seen multiple visits to the ortho doctor, but my ankles, and shins have survived with little more than bruising, and soreness..
Very compelling. Thanks to everyone for your input. My current boots probably would not have prevented the break but certainly would have been better than my dress shoes. Nothing will make me bulletproof, but I'm already shopping for boots that I will actually wear that would give me the best odds. Inconvenience was the only reason I wasn't already wearing them, and that seems pretty silly now compared to the inconvenience I'm currently experiencing. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 11:34:39 AM »
Inconvenience was the only reason I wasn't already wearing them, and that seems pretty silly now compared to the inconvenience I'm currently experiencing.

So true.  Safety and convenience are at absolute odds with each other.  So is safety and comfort.  At times it is hard to strike a good balance.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 09:00:29 PM »
In the 70's if you said, "ATGATT" I'd have said, 'What's that?" Now, if I don't have on ANY  piece of it, I feel nekkid. I recently tried kevlar lined khaki's with knee armor and that felt good, but still felt a little exposed. Your skin, your choice.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 10:34:44 PM »
In the 70's if you said, "ATGATT" I'd have said, 'What's that?" Now, if I don't have on ANY  piece of it, I feel nekkid. I recently tried kevlar lined khaki's with knee armor and that felt good, but still felt a little exposed. Your skin, your choice.

Yep, that is my weak spot.  Unless it is cold weather (when I wear leather chaps) my jeans offer little protection.  Unfortunately, unless you fit the "typical" sizes, it is very difficult to have pants options.   Example- I have yet to find armors jeans offered in 29 waist with knees at correct height for 27 inseam (and certainly not available in gray, why would anyone dream of something OTHER than blue or black?).  I have toyed with the idea of trying to make my own, by purchasing some type of kevlar material and just sewing it in, but that is apparently more complex than one would think (trying to find the stuff and how to actually do it properly).

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 06:39:03 AM »
Yep, that is my weak spot.  Unless it is cold weather (when I wear leather chaps) my jeans offer little protection.  Unfortunately, unless you fit the "typical" sizes, it is very difficult to have pants options.   Example- I have yet to find armors jeans offered in 29 waist with knees at correct height for 27 inseam (and certainly not available in gray, why would anyone dream of something OTHER than blue or black?).  I have toyed with the idea of trying to make my own, by purchasing some type of kevlar material and just sewing it in, but that is apparently more complex than one would think (trying to find the stuff and how to actually do it properly).

That's my problem too. I bought a pair of Kevlar lined 'slider' jeans in my size and while they kinda fit, they don't really. I should have sent them back.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 07:34:33 AM »
Notice this boot thread has morphed into a pants thread? Before we get back on topic, I would suggest if one is truly serious about correct fitting pants, one have a custom fitting from the likes of Aerostitch or Dianese (or another high-end manufacturer; these are the only two I've personally seen have traveling fitting shows).

I wear Joe Rocket Atomic and Phoenix two-piece suits. The fit is pretty close for my 6-3/36-inseam. In everyday life, I don't wear and don't like denim jeans; I'm a cotton khaki cargo person. So I don't think I would enjoy riding jeans. I just recently started getting lazy on the pants half of my suits and wearing the jacket only, with ckc's on the bottom, for local riding (within an hour of home). I admit this is probably a bad idea since we all know that local rides tend to produce the most accidents.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 08:09:27 AM »
Sidi, makes boots with substantial ankle protection but there are others as well.
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 09:07:18 AM »
I got 8 lbs of metal in my right leg and a plate and 7 screws in the left. I will never again be back in the touring boots I was wearing when the idjut pulled out in front of me. Too much at stake.. I saw they had a shorter pair of these but I am happy to to put them on anytime I go out. Comfy to walk in and comfy and stable to ride in.... 
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 09:09:29 AM »