Author Topic: So after her winter nap I go to start and have nothing.  (Read 13992 times)

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
Re: So after her winter nap I go to start and have nothing.
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2023, 09:29:45 PM »
Michelle,

Is there anyway to bench test these ecu's?

If there is, that's way above my pay grade.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline Freddy

« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2023, 11:34:44 PM »
I believe the folks who 'flash' the FI ecu for better performance, like SISF, Smokin in Oz and M Cox in Germany, buy an 'access key' from a mob in Qld Australia for $150 per unit.  No doubt they can. 

The other way is to fit your FI ecu to a same model bike and register it to that bike with KDS and see if it works.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline dl1911

« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2023, 03:42:54 AM »
Thanks folks for the replies.

At this point I think I am going to replace the wiring harness and it that doesnt rectify my problem I believe I am done with it!

Getting access to KDS is problematic in my area with one exception of a dealer 2 hrs away. The other issue with them is they have 120/hr rate to work on it and they wont touch it if the bike is in anyway disassembled.

I just dont see investing 1/2 value of the bike in trying to fix it. By the time I buy replacement ecu's, ignition control units, fobs, gas cap and pay the dealer to make it all play nice together I might as well buy another damn bike!

I bought this bike new in 08 and have had 27,000 miles worth of enjoyment out of but damn am I aggrevated and mad! All of this problem happened while the bike was in storage over the winter!

Im going to step away from it for a bit to calm down. I will let you know what I decide to do or if I get it fixed.

Many thanks to all that have helped. I do truly appreciate it!

Dave

Offline Freddy

« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2023, 03:03:17 PM »
Ensure you get a harness with the same part number.

All the best with it.

Offline dl1911

« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2023, 05:54:00 PM »
UPDATE:
Well I have replaced the wire harness.

Everything appears to be working but still no start. It appears that the bike is not getting any spark and it is leading in the direction of a bad ecu.

I have also bench tested all of the sensors and everything passed. I even went so far as leaving the crank sensor unplugged to see if I could get a code on the dash! Good news is it did code and showed a crank sensor fault.

So I know the ecu is at least talking to the bikebut whatever triggers the coils isnt firing them. I cant find anything else wrong.

I have found another dealer somewhat close to me that has KDS and will run a dignostic on it for $216.00. He said it may or may not show the problem.

So I guess I get the diag and of ot shows a problem with the ecu it is replacement time.

Does anyone know if it is possible to reflash a used ecu to my bike using KDS? Dealer didnt know???? Said he will have to call Kawasaki???

On a side note: pulling the main wiring harness is a challenge and requires the engine to dropped down from the frame. Not a fun job!!
Just  PSA

The saga continues.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2023, 07:29:41 PM »
Before getting a different ECU, check to see if all the pins in the connectors are all the way out in the position they should be in.

I thought I remembered from loooong ago that someone had a problem with their bike and that's what it turned out to be.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Freddy

« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2023, 12:34:08 AM »
Good job on replacing the harness dl.  Thanks for the update.

As for fitting a used ECU (with the same part number) see reply 29. But do as T/Joe suggests.

$216 is a rip off.  It would take no more than a half hour from removing the seat to refitting it.  KDS may not show a problem as the engine needs to be running.  Registering another FI ECU is done before the engine is started.  The steps in the KDS manual to do so are simple.

Offline dl1911

« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2023, 04:24:46 AM »
Freddy,

While I agree $216 is a bit much to plug in a computer, Im at the mercy of the people with the KDS. The other dealer was $240!

Im going to call Ivans Performance today to see if he can offer any insight to my problem.

While I love this motorcycle, I an very disappointed in Kawasaki. They made this bike so overly complicated and then offer very little support.
The one dealer I spoke to even said he wasnt sure he could even get a new ECU if I needed one!
Very frustrating!!

Offline Freddy

« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2023, 06:09:19 PM »
A used ECU of same part number will do.  That one in reply 27 seems to be still available.

Everything is complicated these days, some more so than others.  I would put these bikes towards the lower end.  Much confusion comes from misunderstanding but you've done well so far, especially with the harness.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2023, 09:53:41 AM »
While I agree $216 is a bit much to plug in a computer, Im at the mercy of the people with the KDS. The other dealer was $240!

My dealer didn't know either, but they said they'd try. I bought a new bike and wanted my old flashed computer moved over. $100 for half an hour labor. It did take some talking to get them to do it. They said the ABS vs non ABS ECUs were different. I said, "I have both in my hands and they're the same part numbers, even." After everything was said and done, I now have two working ECUs. Was worth it for $100. Dunno it would've been for north of $200.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Freebird65

« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2023, 06:03:58 PM »
I have a 2008/2009 ECU with a flash on it if you want it.  $100
2008 C14
Shoodaben "Steve's" MRP flash Awesome!
SV1000 naked

Offline dl1911

« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2023, 06:11:11 AM »
Freebird65,

Thank you for the offer but to my understanding the ecu will have to be married to the other components of my bike so it will work.
In doing that the KDS equipment will put the ecu back to factory specs. The way it was explained to me was I have to have a working ecu that is already married to my bike before I can begin any type of reflashing.
Thank you for the offer though

Dave

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2023, 05:17:38 PM »
Dave
You've been informed incorrectly. Reflashing is not at all related to the KDS operation. I sold a flashed ecu to a guy in Western Australia and Freddy installed it for him. No issues.
Again, KDS can't even tell if the ecu is flashed. All you need to do is install it on the bike and get someone with KDS to tell the bike it is now married to a new ecu.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline dl1911

« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2023, 04:26:04 PM »
Michelle,

I wish I would have been told correctly. At the time the offer was made I had already purchased a salvaged ecu because I was under the impression that I needed a stock ecu to connect to the KDS.
I am currently waiting for the coil harness, injector harness, and sensor harness. Once these arrive I will have replaced all of the wiring harnesses.
I am praying the bike will fire off. Unfortunately I'm not very optimistic.
I'm still very baffled as to how or why the ecu could have gone bad just sitting in storage.
I should have all the pieces In hand before the weekend so I will report back with what turns up if anything.
Thank you one and all for sticking with me thru all of this.

Offline dl1911

« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2023, 07:55:48 AM »
Well another unsuccessful update,

The wiring harness have all completely been replaced. Everything on the bike seems to working normally but it still will not start. The only thing that is still curious to me is the security light is still flashing while the motor is cranking over. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Im seriously leaning to the fact that SOMEHOW the FI ECU has gone bad. I really wish there was a way to test it!

I have purchased a salvaged ECU, so Im guessing the next logical step is going to be taking it to a dealer to see if they can marry my new ECU to my bike.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many Thanks!

Offline Freddy

« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2023, 04:05:01 PM »
The red security light should go off when the ign key is turned on.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2023, 02:18:21 AM »
If the red light is flashing then the Immobiliser is still active and will prevent ignition.
Are you 100% certain that the ignition switch, ECU, and KIPASS module are all programmed to each other?
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline dl1911

« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2023, 03:42:14 AM »
Boomer,
I bought the bike new in 2009 so I am the original owner.

The immobilizer, ecu and KiPasd ecu are all the original pieces.

Offline dl1911

« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2023, 03:45:28 AM »
Freddy,

The security light goes off when the ignition switch is turned on but when I hit the starter button the light flashes while the motor is turning over.

Is there anything in the factory manual that would tell me what the security light flashing means? I haven't been able to find anything.

Offline dbird29

« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2023, 09:31:31 AM »
Not sure if you tired it but have you attempted the passive key to start?
2010 C14 Blue
2003 Buell XB9S
1982 GPz 750