Author Topic: Describe the technique to replace the headlight bulbs  (Read 9612 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Describe the technique to replace the headlight bulbs
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »
So I bought new bulbs from Murph and the other day I pulled the dust cover off to see how easy it wil be. I didn't have a ton of time when I was at it, so I put it back together cause I couldn't quickly figure out how to get the bulb clasp off. Do I need to remove a screw, or is it just a manipulation of the bracket?

Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: Describe the technique to replace the headlight bulbs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »
You just have to move the right side of the clip with the correct force. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:51:01 PM »
Not the darkside of the force, the other side.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »
Never take out the screw,you'll never get it back in.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »
Not the darkside of the force, the other side.
;D

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 06:43:51 PM »
You just have to move the right side of the clip with the correct force.

You guys saw what I did to the screw trying to get to my battery right? ;D
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 07:38:35 PM »

Push the opposite end from the screw IN and DOWN.  This will remove the end of the clip from under the tab that keeps it there.  I found it 'difficult' to do with just finger pressure, but it was easy to do when I grabbed just the end of the clip with a pair of needle nose pliars.  The pliars also make replacing the clip easier.  You don't use a lot of force and the clip doesn't move far.  IN and DOWN is the key. 

2010 C14 ABS

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 07:41:14 PM »
No, don't remove the screw. The steel wire is what holds the bulb in place and the side opposite of the screw is held under a tang projecting from the rear of the light housing. Push that end of the wire down about 3/16" or so and once it is clear of the tang, move it toward the back of the bike and release it. It will spring back up but if not caught by the tang it will just rest behind the bulb- then rotate the wire out of the way and simply remove the bulb by pulling it straight back. When you put the new bulb in, you will probably have to hold it in place while you rotate the wire back into place, then press the end down and forward until it is clipped behind that tang. Replace the rubber ring and then the plug on the bulb and you are done. It only takes 10 seconds to do but can take hours to learn how- keep plenty of nasty words ready. Unfortunately it is about impossible to see the assembly while your hand is in there so it has to be done by feel (insert favorite <by feel> joke here).

By the way, make sure the bulb is the right way up as it can and will go in upside down and not really seem wrong. The bulb only goes in one way but upside down is close enough that it will fit. It will work too but produce a tremendous amount of glare and little light on the road.

Brian

So I bought new bulbs from Murph and the other day I pulled the dust cover off to see how easy it wil be. I didn't have a ton of time when I was at it, so I put it back together cause I couldn't quickly figure out how to get the bulb clasp off. Do I need to remove a screw, or is it just a manipulation of the bracket?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 06:13:14 AM »

Get Lather to help you...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:46:28 AM »
By the way, make sure the bulb is the right way up as it can and will go in upside down and not really seem wrong. The bulb only goes in one way but upside down is close enough that it will fit. It will work too but produce a tremendous amount of glare and little light on the road.

Brian

I sense the voice of experience!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »
Yep, and I knew something was wrong as soon as I sparked the lights up too- the entire of the garage roof has never been that well lit before.

It really is easy to do if the bulbs have thin sheet metal mounts. It is probably more of a problem with HID retrofits too because the metal housings they use are like aluminum foil but thinner.

Brian

I sense the voice of experience!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline easy_rider

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »
Pm'd yaa Brent 8)