Author Topic: Making a short windscreen  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
Making a short windscreen
« on: August 24, 2021, 06:30:11 AM »
My bike came with a beautiful V-Stream windshield (or is the proper term "windscreen"?). It's wonderful in that it blocks so damn much wind!!! As this is my first sport touring bike I am truly amazed.

However, in the heat of the summer, I find myself overheating. I've always had cruisers and other open bikes (cafe, standard, etc) and have always gotten plenty of air to keep me cool up into the 90's. But the concours? Nope. I'm sweating my bollocks off in mid-80's temps.

I bought an OEM screen off of ebay for $60. No cracks or gouges, but advertised as, "pretty scratched up". Well, I plan to cut it down and paint it black (or maybe silver) to the point I will never be looking through it anyways, so I bought it. Last night I used auto polishing compound to clean up the minor scratching on the outside of it. I'll take some pics as I progress, but I'm totally stoked that this might work. :)

Stay tuned... ;)

Offline connie_rider

Re: Making a short windscreen
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 08:39:52 AM »
Use masking tape around the area you want to cut. Then mark a line and cut.
Bandsaw is best, but can done with others. Support the shield from the back as you cut to prevent a possible crack.
Amazingly EZ to do.
After the cut, use some rough sandpaper and a sanding block to smooth/contour the new edge.
Then finer paper to make it nice.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 03:43:57 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 11:52:08 PM »
Mission accomplished. I went really short... Hopefully I don't regret going so short on the maiden voyage tomorrow.
I used black Plasti dip on the backside just in case I didn't like the black... So far I love it though!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 12:07:14 AM »
Mission accomplished. I went really short... Hopefully I don't regret going so short on the maiden voyage tomorrow.

Not sure if it can be too short when it is 90+ outside.  Short screen is a must.
I prefer a non-rounded top, though.   Will work better with mounting an X-Creen.

https://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9508.msg213556#msg213556

Not a fan of your part-black concept.  I think it looks strange, and it may limit view if/when you need to raise it when the temp suddenly plummets unexpectedly.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 05:13:32 AM »
Sooooo other than the shape, the color, and the two-tone pattern, you like it.  :D
No worries, everyone has different tastes.
I tested the 'fully up' position on the way into work. I'm still looking over the top of it, not through the clear part. It is amazing how much force is taken off the chest by raising it at 65mph though. Having never had an adjustable screen before I could never compare 'on-the-fly' so I never realized what I was missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 05:39:11 AM »
Sooooo other than the shape, the color, and the two-tone pattern, you like it.  :D

LOL!

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 05:49:10 AM »

Good job Dirtie.   As long as you like it, who cares what others think.

One of the first things I did to my C14 was put on a CalSci Tinted shorty.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 06:00:20 AM »
One thing I found early on with the screen is that don't put it all the way down if you want cooling air on your legs.  Leave about a 1 inch gap or so from full down.  This allows air to flow over and on to your legs whilst moving.  Counter intuitive yes but it really works.  This is for first gen bikes.  Not sure if it does the same on the post first gens.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline timdow

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 06:37:42 AM »
What did you end up cutting it with?  After performing the operation on a windscreen already, would you feel comfortable cutting a windscreen that you paid good money for?

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 11:49:03 AM »
What did you end up cutting it with?  After performing the operation on a windscreen already, would you feel comfortable cutting a windscreen that you paid good money for?

I took the screen off the bike.
I used blue painters tape on both sides.
I used a piece of string and a marker to mark my cut. (hold one end at the center bottom of the screen, the other end is tied to the marker. As you rotate it around the bottom 'pivot point' it draws a perfect arc).
Cut it on my Craftsman bandsaw that was probably originally mfg'ed around 1945. But I did put a new band blade on her only a month ago so it was nice and sharp.
Sand the sharp edges.

To answer your question: Yes, I would be extremely comfortable cutting an expensive shield... as long as it is polycarbonate (lexan), which is what bullet proof glass is made from. Lexan does not shatter; it's extremely easy to machine and even bend using a metal brake. Buuuuut... I was concerned it was Acrylic, which is actually more clear. That stuff will shatter unless you cut REAL slow. I was pretty sure it was lexan so I went slow, but after the first 1/4" of the cut you could tell it was lexan. It cuts like butta!

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 11:56:11 AM »
Question: Anyone ever make a vent in the windshield? I think if I was to do it again (which I might... I get bored.) I think I would try to use a hole saw and make some vent holes and maybe leave the top of the screen about 4" higher so I could do as maxtog suggests and be able to look THROUGH it rather than OVER it when in the full up position.

Oh well, on to the next farkle. :) I found some parts on c-list that were about 3.5 hours away... the guy agreed to ship them to me, and he seemed anal about keeping all parts and instructions well organized. I bought a set of Ronnie's highway pegs and throttlemeister bar ends (and a full set of OEM brake pads, but that's not really farkle, is it?). Looking forward to putting them on for longer rides.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 03:53:38 PM »
One thing I found early on with the screen is that don't put it all the way down i[...]This is for first gen bikes.  Not sure if it does the same on the post first gens.

I always raise it a tad (stock windscreen) because if I don't, especially on a large windscreen, it creates too much back pressure.  Just a little up wipes away most of that pressure.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 06:22:59 PM »
I've made vent holes in a C-10 shield with a 2" hole saw. Worked well.
Main result is less backpressure/less buffeting, but not much more air flow.

In the 14, raising the shield (as others suggested) should accomplish the same.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 05:39:38 PM by connie_rider »

Offline Mr2U

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2021, 10:48:25 AM »
I like my Copperdawg

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 12:24:52 PM »
I like my Copperdawg

I love it too! I just can't pony up the $469 plus shipping... if I see one on ebay, I'll def jump on it!

Offline PH14

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 03:29:01 PM »
I always raise it a tad (stock windscreen) because if I don't, especially on a large windscreen, it creates too much back pressure.  Just a little up wipes away most of that pressure.

Never worked for me. The back pressure from the stock shield was murder on me, n matter the position. It really tired me out on long trips. I ordered a CalSci within about a week of buying the Concours. That eliminated the back pressure.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2021, 04:09:58 PM »
Never worked for me. The back pressure from the stock shield was murder on me, n matter the position. It really tired me out on long trips. I ordered a CalSci within about a week of buying the Concours. That eliminated the back pressure.

There are lots of factors that will affect backpressure- sitting height, body angle, sitting position (fore/aft), speed, top box present or not/type, wind direction/speed, even jacket type (possibly also panniers on/off).  So experience with how much backpressure is reduced with the stock windscreen by raising it a bit will vary.  But in my case, it is acceptable when screen is raised about 1.5" or so to allow more air under it.

Also, there is considerably less backpressure on the Gen 2 vs. Gen 1 (based on feedback I have seen and  design changes that were specifically made to address the issue- bash venting, screen design).  And probably even less on the last models (Gen 2.1) with the stock screen that has the "mailbox slot".