Author Topic: Stock and Givi windshield question  (Read 3955 times)

Offline TRaGiK

Stock and Givi windshield question
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:45:53 PM »
The Conc I recently bought, only came with a chopped windscreen. Works great in the heat, but I'll be needing something for winter riding.

It's my understanding that the Givi screen is identical to the stock screen, except that it's tinted. Is this correct? 

Does the stock screen work well with short riders? I'm 5'7" with a 28 inch inseam, and if the stock windscreen will work fine for me, then great.

Would I be looking OVER the stock screen, or through it? Also, if looking through it, how does a tinted screen do at night in the dark?

Offline Dan

Re: Stock and Givi windshield question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 10:08:40 AM »
Ok guys got the small spyder cracks in the shield, is there ANYTHING I can do to prevent them from getting bigger, super glue??

Thanks.

Offline TRaGiK

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
So no one on here has ever used a stock or givi windshield, and can answer my questions???  :o

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 04:09:57 PM »
No offense but your question is kind of vague. A 28 inch inseam doesn't tell us much with regards to a windshield. How tall is the shorty shield? Not in inches, but where is the top edge in relation to your eyes? Is it to your chin? Neck? Chest?

A for a winter shield, do you want to look over or through? Taller is better so you can cut it down to an appropriate height for you. I'm 5'8" and could see over the OEM shield but the "flip" drove me nuts so I cut it off. The resultant turbulence caused me to cut it even shorter until it was a warm weather shield. For cold weather I have an 18" Cee Baily. It might be considered too short for cold rides but I use an electric jacket liner to keep me warm so it suits me.

Read the FAQs for more on windshields.

Offline TRaGiK

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 04:17:19 PM »

Read the FAQs for more on windshields.

I did, and while helpful, it didn't give me all the answers I wanted.

I think did though, and it looks like I'll likely skip the Givi/stock screen.

I don't mind some wind, but if I can cut it back in the winter, that would be great. I've been riding sport and/or naked bikes for the last 10 years, so even the shorty screen is better than what I'm used to. I won't put up with a lot of turbulent air though...

I DO prefer to look over the screen, rather than through it.

ETA: The windscreen on the bike measures 11.25 inches, and comes up to approx the middle of my chest.

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
These are my suggestions:

The wide MRA Arizona. You may have to shorten it a bit but that'll be true with most shields.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1394/

Gustafsson makes Concours shields in a bunch of heights and tints. I don't suggest tints for night riding but since you prefer looking over a tint might look nice. They're free so why not. You have to drill your own holes but that's not hard. Remember to buy the plastic drilling bit.
http://www.bikescreen.com/products.asp?cat=87

If you do real winter riding (I store my bike come November) get some Fairing Extenders.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=652.0

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:31:22 AM »
.... For cold weather I have an 18" Cee Baily....

Holy Smokes Elvin your winter shield is my summer shield!  :o

BTW I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam and use a 25.5" C.B. for when I want full wind protection and the 18" when I want all the wind I can get.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 06:40:23 AM »
Ok guys got the small spyder cracks in the shield, is there ANYTHING I can do to prevent them from getting bigger, super glue??

Thanks.

Rubber Lined Fender Washers..... Not much you can do to stop star cracking from starting other than using rubber lined oversized washers from the start. And ther is nothing that you can do for them once start beyound switching to a larger and more load bearing washer. There is a lot of stress placed on the shield at the mounting points with the wind wanting to fold it backwards against you at speed. I've been using Oversized Stainless Steel Rubber Bonded Flat Washers of my shields for years and have never seen any star cracking even when I ran the thinner .125" Rifle shields and home brewed versions.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:52:59 AM »
So no one on here has ever used a stock or givi windshield, and can answer my questions???  :o

I decided that the stock shield sucked on the ride home from the dealership and ordered a replacement right away; never cared for the Givi shields so no I can't help with this question.

But as far as looks, protection, quality of build, and a lack of turbulence I don't think a person can go wrong with the Cee Bailey brand of shield; but no matter the brand they need to be properly sized.

As to tints be careful with how dark you go as looking through them at night can be difficult it they are too tall. I can look over my tall shield for distance but look though it at shorter close range distance but only use the "Ice Blue" tint. Previously I ran a tall tinted Rifle and found some concern with it at night.
Tony P. Crochet