Author Topic: Help visually setting idle on carbs  (Read 3399 times)

Offline mctim

Help visually setting idle on carbs
« on: June 19, 2011, 01:02:42 PM »
I have searched for MOB's info about how to set idle on the cards. MOB has a way to set idle visually by looking at the holes and the flys. I did have it marked for the old site but that does not help now. My searching has not resulted in me finding the information. Can anyone giving me the information? Thank you in advance.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Help visually setting idle on carbs
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:18:24 PM »
sure,
while looking in the front bores, turn the throttle "knob" aduster down till it is clear of the stop, assuring the adjuster is not influencing the adjustment. Then adjust all 3 screws so that the front edge of the butterflies covers the forward most hole completly, or at least all but #2 do, sometimes #2 will only be 90% covered, thats fine. Now, adjust the knob so that #2 is halfway covered, look closely at it, and use a magnafier if needed to see it. It should look like you see the "full hole" by the reflection back on the butterfly, and it is not egg shaped, or squashed looking. Then, adjust the other screws so that all of the butterflys are looking the same, with half the hole covered. do the #1 screw first, then the #3 screw, and lastly the middle screw. This makes them all equal. You may have to go back and forth with #3 and the middle one to achieve this perfectly, but don't mess with #1 once it's on....you may then install them, or use the knob to adjust all 4 simultaniously to see about 3/4 of the leading hole, but the bike should start and idle with only half showing. final adjusting of idle speed is always done with the knob, don't touch the screws at all untill you decide to synch when the motor is running.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline mctim

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »
WOW !  ;D  Now that was service, all done in 15 minutes and from the man himself. Thanks MOB.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »
WOW !  ;D  Now that was service, all done in 15 minutes and from the man himself. Thanks MOB.

you're welcome....
I type slow ;)

Offline croach1776

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:21:05 PM »
MOB - is this being done with carbs on the bench. thx
Charles K Roach Jr
COG#9094/CDA#319/50K/IBA#42837
AMA#2704431
Ya Cant Lose What Ya Never Had - Fatty Roach

Offline mctim

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »
Yes, this is being done with the carbs sitting on the bench.

Edited since I could not type correctly.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
MOB - is this being done with carbs on the bench. thx

yes, this is how I statically set the bank after a rebuild and cleaning prior to install.
If you sucessfully cleaned and set the carb floats correctly, this step will amaze you when you install and start the bike. it should be so close that when you put the synch gages on you will likely not need to do more than set a screwdriver on the synch screw to make an adjustment..and have to think long and hard whether you really need to turn the screwdriver.....in otherwords, it will provide a synch that is almost perfect from the start....

that is, if you have your valves all adjusted also.....if they are out of adjustment, it will show up as a synch being needed based on the valve differences/errors.

Offline croach1776

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 10:47:59 PM »
Plan on doing valves and carbs this September right before good riding weather shows up.

So steps would be adjust valves, clean carbs, check/adjust floats, bench synch carbs, install carbs, check synch with manometer? final step adjust idle if necessary.
Charles K Roach Jr
AMA#2704431

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »
That is correct, with the addition I noted in red below
Plan on doing valves and carbs this September right before good riding weather shows up.

So steps would be adjust valves, clean carbs, check/adjust floats, bench synch carbs, DRAIN, FLUSH, AND REFILL GASTANK PARTIALLY WITH CLEAN FRESH FUEL, install carbs, check synch with manometer? final step adjust idle if necessary.

Offline croach1776

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »

Thanks.

That is correct, with the addition I noted in red below
Charles K Roach Jr
AMA#2704431