Author Topic: putting the plastic back on  (Read 3234 times)

Offline redden68

putting the plastic back on
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:00:06 PM »
OK, I'm starting to put the plastic back on the bike after about a year.  I have 2 small rubber trim pieces I can't find a spot for.  In this link, they are labeled as 53044:

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Cowling_Lowers(1_2)/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/40/Year/1999/ModelID/4424/Model/Concours/GroupID/138869/Group/Cowling(2_2)

Thanks

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Re: putting the plastic back on
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »
53044 is the fairing trim that covers the seam between the outer cowling pieces and the inner trim panels...isn't it?  Should be a couple of feet long...at least...

You said "small"...Are you referring to 53044A...for the mirror mounts?

Another tricky spot is the two straight trim pieces that go on the top-front of the side covers...so the edges of the fuel tank can rest in/on them...

HTH...
'02 C-10

Offline redden68

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 06:28:03 AM »
No, it's not the mirror pieces, although those are missing.  They are also not the longer trim pieces for the side cobers.  These pieces are just over 10 inches long.  I was also wondering if anyone had found a substitute, such as auto trim, that could be found in auto parts stores.  Thanks

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 12:02:17 PM »
Any chance you could get us a pic of what you have?
'02 C-10

Offline Leo

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »
There is trim molding on the two black plastic pieces forward of the foot pegs and also trim around the inner air ducts where it lines ip with the vent holes in the lower fairings.  There is also a trim molding at the edge of the fan deflector under the tank.  If I think of anything else, I'll write back
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 06:33:08 AM »
I think Leo's on to it.  The pieces you are talking about might belong on the air duct assembly and would go on prior to putting on the side panels.  I found a vague picture (look in the bottom right area for it hanging down) of the air duct trim form a friends bike.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline redden68

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 09:28:15 PM »
Here is the little rubber trim piece I'm trying to identify.  Thanks

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 06:40:01 AM »
Would that be one of the inner fairing edge trim pieces?  They would be right at your knee to the inside of the bike.  They can also be seen in the top part of my picture, already pushed onto the plastic.  One on each side.  They usually go from the top of the tank to the very bottom of the plastic, maybe about 2 feet long.  Perhaps yours have been cut in half by the PO?

Edit:  The shape seems to be about right to fit on the lower section.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 01:39:17 PM »
Can't really tell how long it is but my guess would be it's the trim that goes along the edge of the mirror where is meets the upper faring.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline redden68

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 05:28:10 PM »
Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner!  Thanks Joe.  I should have caught that.  It just looked too big for the mirror.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:19:20 AM »
I didn't see this till now but I would have said mirror too. Having recently taken mine completely apart, that is what it looked like to me.