Author Topic: Spoofak question  (Read 2745 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Spoofak question
« on: May 27, 2011, 05:33:32 AM »
I should have paid more attention in the past :-[. I keep forgetting that the spirit has one.
I know when changing the old filter the manual (Clymer) calls for 3.17 quarts. How much is it with the short filter PH7317? Could I just fill the filter then and 3.1q?
Thanks in advance.
Chris...
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Spoofak question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 05:57:15 AM »
Prolly not much different than stock requirement. I've got a long filter on mine and recall replacing 3 full quarts and then adding roughly another 3/16 of a quart more to cover about 2/3 of the magic sight-glass after stopping the engine and letting settle.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Spoofak question
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »
Could I just fill the filter then and 3.1q?

Filling the filter in advance is recommended, anyway.  Otherwise, your engine has to pump a bunch of oil before anything starts getting lubricated on the first startup.

I just installed my SPOOFAK, and filled the filter, put in the rest of the 3+ quarts (using oil in a gallon container, so was guessing at amounts), cranked the bike a bit with the choke off (so it wouldn't start, but would start moving oil) then fired the bike up.  Let it run for about 15 seconds and then shut it down to check the level.  Added what I needed to bring the level where I wanted it and was done.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157