Author Topic: URGENT HELP! 4 extra bolts 10mm head 12mm thread SOLVED?  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
URGENT HELP! 4 extra bolts 10mm head 12mm thread SOLVED?
« on: September 04, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »
OK, so I'm putting the bike back together after doing a bunch of things and I have 4 extra bolts in my toolbox that I can't figure out where they go.  They are black, have a 10mm head, the entire shaft is threaded about 12mm.  The head of the bolts are marked with a "7".  They're marked up enough to appear to have been removed and replaced before.

It is possible that they were already in my toolbox, but I don't think so.

Here's the list of what I did:
  • Front fender / brake calipers removed to remove front wheel
  • Front wheel removed / tire replaced / wheel bearings replaced
  • gas tank removed to permit fork tube removal
  • Front fork tubes removed / fluid flushed / springs cut 4" and replaced with PVC
  • Mufflers removed to remove rear wheel
  • Rear wheel removed / tire replaced / final drive removed / splines lubed
  • Rear rack and plastic / bag antlers removed to fix brake/parking light wiring

One extra bolt wouldn't worry me too much.  4 identical bolts might hold something important on.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:11:12 PM by Outback_Jon »
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline MetrickMetal

• MetrickMetal Custom Motorcycle Parts
Re: URGENT HELP! 4 extra bolts 10mm head 12mm thread length
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:41:13 PM »
I suggest that you go over all the areas that you listed that you worked on, and if no bolts are missing from those areas that those bolts were probably already in your tool box.  ;)
www.MetrickMetal.com custom motorcycle parts
Custom naked 07 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S/AK7
In the process of resurrecting an 02 C10

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »
I suggest that you go over all the areas that you listed that you worked on, and if no bolts are missing from those areas that those bolts were probably already in your tool box.  ;)
That's my current suspicion.  I took the bike out for a spin after double checking everything I could think of and nothing fell off.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline nevadazx12

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
Sounds like the bolts holding the front fender on, did you add a fork brace and remove the factory brace plate??
1986 Connie
1974 BMW 90/6
1964 Triumph T100SC

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 08:02:24 PM »
That's nuthin'.  After reinstalling the head on my 1976 FIAT 124 Spyder when having the valves ground, I had two bolts about 5/16 diameter and 8 inches long left over.  I took everything apart again and could find no holes to put them in.  Put it all backtogether again and drove it another 30,000 miles without any (other than the usual) engine problems. 

The OP's bolts sound like main fairing attach bolts.  ??
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: URGENT HELP! 4 extra bolts 10mm head 12mm thread SOLVED?
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 08:07:36 PM »
Sounds like the bolts holding the front fender on, did you add a fork brace and remove the factory brace plate??
Nope, those have 12mm heads.  Front fender is securely mounted, too.  No fork brace.
The OP's bolts sound like main fairing attach bolts.  ??
Haven't had any of the fairing off lately.  Did take the belly pan off to put the bike on the jack, but that doesn't use those bolts.

OOH!  I think I might have it!!!  Leftovers from removing smog stuff and adding block-off plates.  (Done a couple of months ago)

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 05:14:48 AM »
Yup, that would fit the description of the hardware that you found.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »
I've got to make sure to take all the extra hardware out of my toolbox before starting projects in the future.

Offline MetrickMetal

• MetrickMetal Custom Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »
I've got to make sure to take all the extra hardware out of my toolbox before starting projects in the future.

Years ago I was doing a top end rebuilt on my 71 Shovelhead, and after installing the pistons, barrels and heads I found one of the circlips for the wrists pins as I was cleaning up around the bike. So I had a 50/50 chance to pick the correct cylinder to remove, and as luck would have it, I removed the wrong cylinder so I ended up removing both of them again.  :banghead:
www.MetrickMetal.com custom motorcycle parts
Custom naked 07 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S/AK7
In the process of resurrecting an 02 C10

Offline scav8tor

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »
Back when I was a Navy electrician, I always kept a couple of extra bolts in my pocket. When I would find a new guy doing some maintenance, I'd slip them into his pile if bolts then come back when he was finished and standing there scratching his head. Good times. LOL.
Any ship can be a minesweeper once.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »
Back when I was a Navy electrician, I always kept a couple of extra bolts in my pocket. When I would find a new guy doing some maintenance, I'd slip them into his pile if bolts then come back when he was finished and standing there scratching his head. Good times. LOL.

One of the airplane shops I used to work in, the engine shop manager used to do that.  One day I took a used oil filter screen, packed it full of aluminum and steel shavings from the machine shop, and mixed it with a set of engine parts he was tearing down for analysis/overhaul.  After he recovered from his near heart attack I told him what and why.  He never did that again.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.