Author Topic: uhmm hello JAPANESE!?  (Read 2641 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
uhmm hello JAPANESE!?
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:53:27 PM »
The big 4 are being crushed in regards to market share by the euros...........   what gives?

KTM Sales:
The Fastest Growing Motorcycle Company In US For 2013
November retail sales growth figures for KTM North America, Inc. have put the motorcycle company out front as the fastest growing motorcycle company in the US for 2013.

KTM’s November unit sales rose 49% compared to the same month in 2012 and year-to-date numbers at the end of November showed KTM leading growth with a 28.8% increase. This sales growth makes KTM the fastest growing motorcycle company in the US for 2013.
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/12/09/motorcycle-news/ktm-fastest-growing-motorcycle-company-us-2013/

BMW sales:
January 7, 20 News release

The BMW Motorrad USA dealer network reported 1,101 motorcycles sold in December, an increase of 19.9 percent from the total of 918 motorcycles sold in December 2012.

On the back of this strong performance, BWM Motorrad USA finished 2013 with 14,179 retail sales, a 17.6 percent increase over 2012. This makes 2013 the second best year in Motorrad’s history in the U.S. BMW Motorrad is already looking forward to an all-time record in 2014 with the introduction of five new models planned in the first quarter.
http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/news/2014/01/07/bmw-motorcycle-sales-in-u-s-rise-in-2013/

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: uhmm hello JAPANESE!?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 04:06:49 AM »
Neither brand are on my radar.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 05:02:50 AM »
Mine either.  Maybe the 1% is buying in droves?
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 05:19:53 AM »
I've noticed Cycle World only does stories on Non Jap bikes. They're getting paid to avoid them.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 06:26:21 AM »
Yeah, it surprised me the Jap brand sales have been reported to be down, euro sales up.

Even Royal Enfield sales increased
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 07:53:37 AM »
It's because Adventure bikes are the new chopper craze.

Offline Leo

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 09:20:56 AM »
Sales percentages do not tell the whole story.   To simplify the argument, say there are 50,000 motorcycles sold per year.   Last year 2 customers purchased a "LEO" motorcycle.  This year 3 people purchased a "LEO" motorcycle.   That makes my sales up 50%!!!   I am really kicking Honda's butt in the market now!
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »
My impression--
DS bikes are indeed growing in popularity, KTM has the best off the showroom floor suspension and offer the largest range of plate-able ready dirt bikes.  BMW got out in front of the DS (or in their words, GS) crowd.  The closest DS that is ADV capable would be the Yamaha Tenere, the 'Stroms can do off road, but in smaller chunks.  The KLR?  Some changes, but still way short in the suspension department and it is hard to get excited about a KLR, it has been proven to be the best bang for the buck over and over but???

Why is the DS growing?  Well, far more unpaved roads and the destinations these roads offer in mind boggling.

I think the Japanese brands will wake up quite soon, offer smaller (650 class) ADV bikes purpose built and more off road capable.  I predict Yamaha will be the biggest Jap brand, improving the WR and bringing the XT660 to North America ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XT660Z_T%C3%A9n%C3%A9r%C3%A9 )

Truth be known?  Very few ADV bikes ever see anything beyond a well groomed forest road.  There is more sex appeal in owning a euro brand all kitted out with huge panniers, massive lights and many farkles from Touratech.  Oh, and lets not forget the stickers.

To sum it up, I don't see anything out there that will compare to my F800GS in terms of useability across the board, on road or off road.  My last bit will be the rear shock, which in the end will give me about a 1/2" more clearance than a KTM 990.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »
^^^^well put

The Tenere is a huge heavy behemoth goat but i agree Yamaha will lead and immediately bring some capable lighter bikes they sell in other markets to the USA.

I was messing around out west in Utah  and came upon this dude off-roading the uber-sweet 600 yamaha.......  I was like huh!? and chatted. He was visiting here and roaming out desert states, the bike had been shipped in.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
It's because Adventure bikes are the new chopper craze.

^^^Agreed. You'll always have wheel kickers and bike night only riders  with any type bike.  But there are those of us who ride too.

I'm putting together a bike, I'll have pics of it soon as I get it sorted off-roading for days on end in places such as Moab, Death Valley, Baja Mexico.  That a warm-up rides for a 2-3 week trip across America offroading the Trans-American Trail.  Oh, also thats if iI can manage to stay employed in this economy.