Author Topic: finally did it, car tire on a C14  (Read 44281 times)

Offline Sea Level

Re: finally did it
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2012, 07:48:03 AM »
Haven't read all pages of this thread, but put me on the side of thinking that putting a car tire on any motorcycle is a very bad idea. MC tires don't get the mileage of a car tire because they are softer and stickier, and circumventing that design is as dangerous as replacing your motorcycle helmet with a bicycle helmet. False economy and inappropriate exchange of purpose-designed protection.

Would you get onto a JetBlue plane if you heard they had switched to 83 octane autofuel instead of Jet A to save money?

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2012, 08:43:38 AM »
Yes.

My surgery didn't fix anything.  It is really only preventing further injury.  I had one shot of steroids injected under x-ray and that was really the thing that cured the majority of my symptoms.  To date I still have less feeling in my left hand and at I will never feel "right" again but I am able to function.  I can only recommend you go into any operation with realistic expectations.  The doctors will not guarantee anything.  Have you tried the steroid injection at the site?  It may take two to three injections for some people, I was lucky and one was enough.  It helps reduce the swelling and accelerate the nerve healing.  Best of luck.

Dave

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2012, 09:57:25 PM »
You are onto the truth- KiPass will not allow a tire failure even if you ride off a cliff....

This is one of those topics that generates tremendous emotional response and almost no data; just about everybody 'knows' this is a terrible idea even though they have no basis for that opinion. It just strikes people as 'wrong'. I would not worry about that too much- I assume that our common ancestor who invented the stone wheel was surrounded by his fellow cavemen telling him he was in for certain death should he try to ride on that stone thing.... it just isn't natural.  :D

There are quite a few people on an FJR forum using car tires with what seems like success (they keep posting about it so I assume the car tires have not killed them all). There is a bit of good info. over there about using car tires on relatively high power, heavy sport touring motorcycles. It seems that they have a problem with the narrowest car tire rubbing against the brake caliper stay though so a C-14, having a wider stock wheel size, may actually be a better candidate.

I would love to see a C-14 using a tractor tire (the nasty, cross- cleated type used on backhoes) - I can just imagine the feedback that would generate. Especially if it was mounted backwards. ;D

Ride safe and let us know how it works out.

Brian

Thanks for all the positive feedback ;D
Yea thou I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, I am protected by KAPASS... 8)
Happy New Year to all, Now I'm going to watch guys jump motorcycles and snowmobiles over a river....
Wow thats really safe too  :rotflmao:
Take care and see ya on the road.
Al
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2012, 10:10:10 PM »
From a rodent's point of view, anything that increases a vehicle's tire's width is a 'bad thing'. I am already having a hard enough time dodging vehicles without making the footprint any wider than it has to be.

Just trying to enjoy my nuts,
Kirby

Ok let the flaming begin... I went to darkside and put a car tire on the 09 Concours!

<snip>

Al In New Bern.
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Son of Pappy

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2012, 10:45:48 PM »
From a rodent's point of view, anything that increases a vehicle's tire's width is a 'bad thing'. I am already having a hard enough time dodging vehicles without making the footprint any wider than it has to be.

Just trying to enjoy my nuts,
Kirby
Did one of Brians cats do that to you? :stirpot:  All my bikes are cat free, if you are looking to live/exist in a rodent concerned area drop me a PM, I'll send in SWAT to break you out :shoot:

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2012, 06:55:47 AM »
We have several "darksider's" on ST-O sharing their knowledge/experience.  Pretty much positive feedback, experience and tire responsiveness.  Every CT has it's quirks and setup, air pressure and suspension tweaking.

Like seats and shields, everyone has an opinion... if you don't feel comfortable running one, then stick with a MC tire... it's what brought you to the dance.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Spanky

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2012, 12:06:15 PM »
Sounds like federal government finance to me.
Oh hell no dont even go there. I work for my money so dont push the wrong buttons :cannon:
Sorry to vent but that really struck the wrong nerve....
Al

A. Your first sentence was let the flaming begin...
B. That seems to me like what the government does - they spend bigs bucks on a machine, then in the name of saving a very small percentage of total ownership cost, they cut corners/expenses and reduce the benefit/performance by a very large percentage.
Makes no sense to me, but it is your bike and your money. I would not make a negative comment - except you asked for  comments.  ::)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2012, 12:08:55 PM »
If I were a sedate enough rider to even consider a CT on my bike, I would instead go with a longer life cruiser or touring tire. I see on a C10 forum that some guys are using the Michelin Commander 2. I've read several places where they're getting twice the mileage of some other tires. Also, there at least a bike tire.

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=Commander
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline pasini510

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »
Hi ,
Have to admit that I was alittle intrigued , untill seeing the vidieo,and considering the potential liability issues with this set up.
Andre

Offline goodthymes

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2012, 12:49:42 PM »
While we're on this subject...... Can anyone tell me where to find a steering wheel and seat belts for a 2010 Concours.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
http://www.campagnamotors.com/

Maybe there's a C14 underneath it all somewhere.... ::)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »
Car Tire on a Goldwing.. rightside up!
Man, his chicken strips must be huge ;)

A motorcycle is a single track vehicle, it uses weight transfer to turn.  A car is a dual track vehicle, it uses friction to turn, excessive weight transfer hinders it's ability to maintain friction/traction.  Just using these two simple ideas would be counter to using a car tire on a motorcycle, same holds true for a motorcycle tire on a car.  If motorcycle tires simply use a softer compound why wouldnt a race car mount motorcycle tires?  The again simple concept of single track vs dual track is all I need to know about what I mount on my bike.
Roland, I will plead that you reconsider your decision, if not for you, then your loved one.  I do not want to read of a bad encounter from you or another forum member.  You've been around for some time, from what I remember you are a very wise man, wise men know when to swallow their pride.  I hope you take this well, it is intended to evoke a level of emotion, not to tick you off, rather to hopefully open your eyes to what I think is tantomount to extreme danger.  If you want to be a pioneer, see about adding a nitrous setup (since the turbo is already being done), nitrous has an on and off, a car tire doesnt (well, hopefully it has an off the rim and not an "Off").  Please, please, reconsider the car tire.

Chet
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:31:41 PM by Son of Pappy »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2012, 05:19:25 PM »
There are quite a few people on an FJR forum using car tires with what seems like success (they keep posting about it so I assume the car tires have not killed them all).

Just wondering how many of those people would have a bad experience with it and post it.   Pride?

This is one of those topics that generates tremendous emotional response and almost no data

Scientifically speaking, a non-random sample of only testimonials on a forum is also not really valid data either (specifically pointing at the FJR forum reference).  Sometimes you don't really need hard data to know when something just isn't right.  We might not have any data about replacing motorcycle handlebars from ones made from wood, either; but it has face validity that it would be a bad idea (strength, breaking, splintering, weather resistance, failure can cause death, etc).

Ride safe [with your car tire] and let us know how it works out.

Personally, I think that is an oxymoron
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »
Nope, I was not trying to claim it was data other than the fact that several of the posters keep posting and that indicates that using CT's on a motorcycle has not 'gotten' them yet.

My personal opinion is that all those who reach all the way over to one side on this issue are being led by their emotions rather than anything concrete. It is an undeniable fact that car tires will mount and seal to a motorcycle wheel, and allow the motorcycle to be ridden on some level. Where I think many people go awry is when they claim that it is hugely unsafe- we simply do not know how safe or unsafe it really is. Even those who advocate the use of CTs on motorcycles (and I am not one of them, I have no opinion really.... we are just discussing the topic here) do not claim that they are better across the board, rather they seem to be trying to expand on one major area of performance (tire longevity, tire economy, and similar) at the expense of some other areas of performance.

Still, I find the topic interesting in the same way I would find it interesting how it would work out to use a tube inside a tubeless tire: that too would be 'unsafe', a bad idea, not what the manufacturers of either the tube or tire intended, and specifically mentioned to be avoided by tubeless tire mfgs. But I suspect that on some level it would work with predictable trade- offs and loss of maximum performance.

Two things do seem to be certain though: as long as it can be done (car tires mechanically fit on motorcycle wheels) it will be done, and not very many people will ever try it.

Brian

Just wondering how many of those people would have a bad experience with it and post it.   Pride?

Scientifically speaking, a non-random sample of only testimonials on a forum is also not really valid data either (specifically pointing at the FJR forum reference).  Sometimes you don't really need hard data to know when something just isn't right.  We might not have any data about replacing motorcycle handlebars from ones made from wood, either; but it has face validity that it would be a bad idea (strength, breaking, splintering, weather resistance, failure can cause death, etc).

Personally, I think that is an oxymoron
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline strester

« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2012, 11:19:56 PM »
Be safe.
All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing....Edmund Burke
(2008 c14 silver)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: finally did it, car tire on a C14
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2012, 07:38:15 AM »
If I see the motorcycle tire on your car I'll be even more impressed.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2012, 07:47:01 AM »

... even more so if it has 100% nitrogen in them!  HA!  ;D
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Arata

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2012, 09:08:33 AM »

Part of my business has me visiting large truck tire dealers.
At one location in San Antonio, I saw a car rim with a bridgestone motorcycle tire on it.

It was worn to the cords and had huge chicken strips!

I wish I had thought to snap a pic.
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2012, 09:18:39 AM »
I still have to ask myself, why?   :)
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

valkmc

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2012, 09:53:24 AM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback ;D
Yea thou I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, I am protected by KAPASS... 8)
Happy New Year to all, Now I'm going to watch guys jump motorcycles and snowmobiles over a river....
Wow thats really safe too  :rotflmao:
Take care and see ya on the road.
Al

You heard from all the experts who have not tried the dark side so I thought I would jump in and say I rode a Goodyear TT on my Valkyrie for 35,000 miles (all on the same tire) and did not experience any flaming death or crashes. I would not put one on my C-14 but to each his own.

Heard all the rants about how insurance would not cover you if you wrecked and such but went to my agent and showed him and he said who cares we don't come out and check your car tires when you wreck and wont your motorcycle either.
Got great wet weather riding, better braking and striaght line accleration. She was different in the twistes (not worse just a different feel) hence the reason I would not put one on my C-14.

Tire cost $100 and at $250 dollars per Motorcyle tire (including change) for tires that went around 8k I saved alot. I really did not do it just for that, I am a curious fellow and dont often listen to people who tell me the sky is falling.

Good Luck and let me know how you make out, even if you crash  ;).