Author Topic: Cross threaded front axle bolt  (Read 2932 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Cross threaded front axle bolt
« on: June 12, 2012, 07:23:41 AM »
I've changed every tire on my 08 and after 79,000 miles that has to be at least 10 fronts without any problems so how the heck did I manage to cross thread my front axle bolt this time?
Exactly as I have always done, I re-installed the axle after removing the wheel for tire work so I could put a jack stand under it. But it only wanted to turn in about a 3rd of the way. I knew better than to force it and turned it back out. I was able to clean up the buggered threads and the wheel is back on and the axle fully torqued with about 2/3rd of the threads intact. With the pinch bolts properly torqued I do not belive this is a safety issue but I have a new bolt ordered anyway. $30.00 plus shipping.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Cold Streak

Re: Cross threaded front axle bolt
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:50:43 AM »
Probably got some debris on the threads that messed it up.  It's pretty hard to get that bolt misaligned.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:22 AM »
Probably got some debris on the threads that messed it up.  It's pretty hard to get that bolt misaligned.
That is what I think. I am usually careful about debris but...

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:21:13 AM »
You're talking about the aluminum "nut", right? The holder for the axle?

Did the exact same thing on my last tire removal/install. That aluminum holder is about the softest alunimum I've ever seen. While I never had a problem before, I cross-threaded it big time on this attempt. Much easier to get crossed than I thought. Made a mental note to really lossen things up on the axle install and work hard to let the holder find its center before putting any torque to anything. Like you, a $30+ lesson learned.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline chap

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »
Good decision to replace the bolt. You have alot riding on the bolt not failing. Cheep insurance. I am definately a fan for replacing any suspect components,especially on a bike I am riding.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »
It sounds more like galled threads than cross threading. On a fine thread bolt, it cannot cross thread once the thread is engaged more than one full turn so if it went on correctly for 1/3 of the travel, it just is not possible for the nut to cant against the axle enough to mangle the threads.

When I change mine, I leave the nut in place and tightened by the pinch bolts; when I re install the axle it is aligned before it ever gets to the nut on the far side. So far I have not had any reason to remove the nut on the left side of the axle other than to coat it with anti- seize the first time I removed the front wheel.

Brian

I've changed every tire on my 08 and after 79,000 miles that has to be at least 10 fronts without any problems so how the heck did I manage to cross thread my front axle bolt this time?
Exactly as I have always done, I re-installed the axle after removing the wheel for tire work so I could put a jack stand under it. But it only wanted to turn in about a 3rd of the way. I knew better than to force it and turned it back out. I was able to clean up the buggered threads and the wheel is back on and the axle fully torqued with about 2/3rd of the threads intact. With the pinch bolts properly torqued I do not belive this is a safety issue but I have a new bolt ordered anyway. $30.00 plus shipping.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »
I had never removed the nut myself until this occurred. Since you have to pull the axle out the right side anyway, I leave the left side pinch bolts tight to hold the nut. IIIRC this is opposite the manual instructions.

As for galling, I am sure you are right. Per your example, when I get my new nut I am going to slather it with body gylde coat it with anti-seize.

It sounds more like galled threads than cross threading. On a fine thread bolt, it cannot cross thread once the thread is engaged more than one full turn so if it went on correctly for 1/3 of the travel, it just is not possible for the nut to cant against the axle enough to mangle the threads.

When I change mine, I leave the nut in place and tightened by the pinch bolts; when I re install the axle it is aligned before it ever gets to the nut on the far side. So far I have not had any reason to remove the nut on the left side of the axle other than to coat it with anti- seize the first time I removed the front wheel.

Brian