Author Topic: What is the best thing to do when group riding and getting pulled over by police  (Read 9430 times)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
That exactly.  I'm not stopping unless it's clear I'm being singled out.  I'll phone my buddies later after the stop.

Or you can call them later asking them to come bail you out becuz you were a dumbass and didn't stop.

Offline MIST

"Oh, by the way,  getting pulled over and being Deaf does have an advantage....just "speak" in ASL and the cops will just let you go.....don't ask me how I know."

Wanna Bet?
Mike
'10 C14ABS

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
Yes, I'll bet.. >:(    well at least once...cause it happened to me...and I am Deaf...the cop didn't know ASL or evidently want to fool with writing down everything he wanted to say...

I carry a card that says for them to write everything down as I may not understand them by lip reading......

I'm sure there are a few hard-a$$es out there that will just write tickets and ignore someone who may not be able to communicate effectivly...but what they forget is an essential part of the citation process is, "Effectively communicate to the offender the violation, steps of due process for disputing the charge, and process to pay fines".

Without this being effectively communicated, the charge is invalid......

"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline Scaffolder

I don't ride in groups often, but if I were to be riding with two or three bikes on the highway. I would act as if I were driving in a group of cars. If he pulls behind me I'll stop. I will always pull over to let any emergency vehicles pass. I have passed a few ambulances in the past, but it was on a 4-lane highway, and he was only running in the 80mph range.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Mister Tee

Or you can call them later asking them to come bail you out becuz you were a dumbass and didn't stop.

If I get a specific directive to stop, I'll stop.  Otherwise, hell no.  It's sort of a moot issue for me anyway because I rarely ride with groups.

Offline jworth

• Arena
I can't believe this is even being discussed.  It is as though one is asking if he actually has to follow the law.  If cop is behind you, you pull over.  It's the freakin' law.   Where's the question?

Offline Miss Silvera

So I go riding with a sport group and the topic came up today about getting pulled over by the police...  Is it best to let the guy in the rear of the group pull over by himself and "take one for the team" or are you better off if the whole group pulls over?

jworth, read the orginal question again.....above, from the top
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline jworth

• Arena
Silvera, I don't think that changes my answer.   

If you're riding that close in a pack, pull over as such.  If you were speeding, you were all speeding.  Man up and take it.  If cop doesn't want you all, he can send you on your way.  If anything err on the side of deference to the cop.

Cruiser riders tend to pack up pretty closely.  Sport bike riders tend to spread out.  That might make a difference but since we are forced here to speak in generalities, I'll stick to my original answer.

Offline Miss Silvera

@ jworth-     OK.... ;D

I think the whole situation is funky because trying to stop one bike say in a "group" of 8 is a almost impossible task without stopping the whole bunch....think about this, say the LEO was running radar and clocked the first guy/gal in the pack, by the time the LEO can take off and get to the group to stop them they could have changed "group position" several times....  plus if I were in that group....I'm not letting my "buddy" stop alone....ain't gonna happen...

I don't see "groups" doing much speeding say in numbers of 4 or more, it's usually the squids they are after anyway that are short distance, singles or a few,  I just don't see a seasoned, well radar/laser versed LEO trying to stop a big group or a single out of a big group rider(s)....

Not smart or safe depending on the group.

But then again....I'm not a big beliver in "speed" tickets unless it is some stupid speed by a stupid driver/rider.
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Having been there... Everyone pull over at once, do a Chinese fire drill, run around the bikes, everyone pull license and registration, hand them all to the officer, speak in a different language (French is good). Helps if everyone is dressed in the same gear too ;)

FWIW, we were all tagged for doing 45 in a 45.

Rick

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline redzgrider

Make the cop select who he or she wants to pull over. Everyone else -- even if it's just one -- keeps going to the next obvious stop, such as a gas station, etc., to wait for the victim.
We discussed this on my last group ride. Sure enough, on the way home two of my buddies were on the road with a cop on the other side. Cop does the across the median u-turn and pulls in between them to pull over lead guy. Second buddy pulls over too, for support I guess, and also gets a ticket for his trouble. I say again, let them choose who they want, and that rider -- and only that rider -- pulls over for the fun tax.

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
One guy should take off like a bat out of hell, flip off the cop, and shout out some obscenities and the word "gun."   ;)   :stirpot: 

Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
One guy should take off like a bat out of hell, flip off the cop, and shout out some obscenities and the word "gun."   ;)   :stirpot:

That's probably the most stupid thing I've ever heard.....I really hope you're kidding.  Good way to get someone killed.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
That's probably the most stupid thing I've ever heard.....I really hope you're kidding.  Good way to get someone killed.

Of course I'm kidding (see the winking smiley?)... maybe even a bit satirical considering some of the other suggestions that might be misinterpreted by LEO as fleeing or evading!  (why were you running, boy?)

To all you who thought I was serious and ready to flame... I quote the immortal words of Sgt Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis"   ;D (that's a joke too)
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
okdokey....didn't have my glasses on and couldn't tell what smiley was there.  All I saw was the pot stirring.  Carry on....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mister Tee

Of course I'm kidding (see the winking smiley?)... maybe even a bit satirical considering some of the other suggestions that might be misinterpreted by LEO as fleeing or evading!  (why were you running, boy?)

To all you who thought I was serious and ready to flame... I quote the immortal words of Sgt Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis"   ;D (that's a joke too)

But it damn sure would take the pressure of the group though, wouldn't it!

Offline spd2918

• Stay off the paint, boys.
So I go riding with a sport group and the topic came up today about getting pulled over by the police...  Is it best to let the guy in the rear of the group pull over by himself and "take one for the team" or are you better off if the whole group pulls over?

To the original question:  The officer will pull over the rider he or she wants to pull over.  You don't get to decide.  As already mentioned just do what the law says and pull to the right and stop.  Your whole group will rarely be pulled over unless you are all way over the limit or some special circumstance exists.

As for red cars, "traps," and out of state BS- you might want to do a ride-along with a police officer to investigate those myths.

Offline Miss Silvera

I did a "ride-a-long"  so to speak...for over 15 years...although we didn't write tickets (our "tickets" came in the form of Federal Subponeas)....and yes...I  do know that those things (red cars, traps and Out of state stops are not myths....

neither is profiling..... ( hahaha!   and I did A LOT of profiling even though we wern't supposed to call it that, on Interstates and in airports)

and if you know how radar or now laser works you should know it is not exact   even based on the officers "guess-ta-ment".....truth is....the LEO can say anything he wants...

I have an opinion here, that in a "group" of riders, that aren't spaced out too much, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to know which bike was speeding if not them all....even though Laser is more precise, it would be hard to be that accurate.  I know it can be sighted, but in a group, there can be too much moving around by the time th stop is made.   I stand on my orginal statement....I'm not big on the issuance of citations unless there is a safety concern, doing 5 to 10 over for a group to me is not excess....(in open country)

For these reasons of "traps", AND not to be surprised, I run a Rocky Mountain Radar/Laser scrambler... 
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline spd2918

• Stay off the paint, boys.
Since you are selling a product I can understand your opinion and I am sorry I missed the "1 to 10 MPH" part of your statement.  I have never cited someone who was going that slow unless there were other factors (bad intersections, kids, weather, known criminal driver etc).  Even with those other factors it is a rare event to stop someone going that slow.  Please don't think I am a traffic hard ass from reading the following paragraphs.  If you have ridden with me you know how I ride and that I don't give two poops how you ride unless you do really stupid / dangerous stuff that endangers people.  Mmmm Kay?  I only offer the following to combat popular uninformed views.  Feel free to hate, I am used to it.  I have never lost a speeding ticket in court (17 years and counting).

Laser and radar only confirm an officer's observations and are not needed to write tickets.  Tickets were written in this country long before such devices were invented.  The laser is absolutely accurate and radar is very accurate if operated to trained standards (i.e. nothing is idiot proof).   Laser and stationary radar can only show a true speed or a lower target speed due to cosine error.  And yes, I can pick out and cite a single bike in a group as long as I can see the headlight, know my tested laser reticle is accurate to that distance, and can honestly say I stopped the same bike I lasered.  If these conditions are not met then no ticket is written.  You might get stopped and warned if I know you were speeding, but I won't write if I can't stand up in court and swear to my God that those legal standards were met.

As for traps, that word conjures up images of cute, furry forest creatures that innocently stick their furry little paws into sharp toothed rusty metal devices designed to rip into their bodies and cause them to bleed.  It is a silly term and relieves the violator of any responsibility.  No one can trap you into speeding.  You do it of your own free will.

There are a few A-holes and crooks that do my job just as there are A-holes and crooks that do your job.  You won't read about crooks that do your job because no one cares if a plumber, computer tech, or engineer screws up.  But a cop will be on the news for sure.  If you want to project your experience with one A-hole cop to an entire group of hundreds of thousands of individuals, then have at it.  We are used to it.

I see radar / laser detectors all the time on cars I stop for speeding (read that again for emphasis).  They are great for the economy, put people to work, but give their users a false sense of security.  They have very limited usefulness if the cop does his job right.  If an officer chooses to leave his radar on all the time or is using it on traffic ahead of you, then yes, you will have plenty of warning.  If not you will not have enough time to slow because even the standard cheapo units my dept uses are "instant on."  And if you think you can scramble a modern laser / radar then all I can say is good luck.  I have never seen one successfully used in my 17 years of experience.  You should have saved that money for your ticket.  ;D

Again, don't think I am a traffic Nazi.  I only write for true safety issues and patrol in a city that has plenty of crashes due to people not stopping in time.  My tickets are more about distracted driving and things that prevent drivers from seeing other highway users (i.e. things that will get a motorcyclist killed).  Yes, that is profiling and is completely legal and ethical.

Offline Miss Silvera

Since you are selling a product I can understand your opinion and I am sorry I missed the "1 to 10 MPH" part of your statement.  I have never cited someone who was going that slow unless there were other factors (bad intersections, kids, weather, known criminal driver etc).  Even with those other factors it is a rare event to stop someone going that slow.  Please don't think I am a traffic hard ass from reading the following paragraphs.  If you have ridden with me you know how I ride and that I don't give two poops how you ride unless you do really stupid / dangerous stuff that endangers people.  Mmmm Kay?  I only offer the following to combat popular uninformed views.  Feel free to hate, I am used to it.  I have never lost a speeding ticket in court (17 years and counting).

Laser and radar only confirm an officer's observations and are not needed to write tickets.  Tickets were written in this country long before such devices were invented.  The laser is absolutely accurate and radar is very accurate if operated to trained standards (i.e. nothing is idiot proof).   Laser and stationary radar can only show a true speed or a lower target speed due to cosine error.  And yes, I can pick out and cite a single bike in a group as long as I can see the headlight, know my tested laser reticle is accurate to that distance, and can honestly say I stopped the same bike I lasered.  If these conditions are not met then no ticket is written.  You might get stopped and warned if I know you were speeding, but I won't write if I can't stand up in court and swear to my God that those legal standards were met.

As for traps, that word conjures up images of cute, furry forest creatures that innocently stick their furry little paws into sharp toothed rusty metal devices designed to rip into their bodies and cause them to bleed.  It is a silly term and relieves the violator of any responsibility.  No one can trap you into speeding.  You do it of your own free will.

There are a few A-holes and crooks that do my job just as there are A-holes and crooks that do your job.  You won't read about crooks that do your job because no one cares if a plumber, computer tech, or engineer screws up.  But a cop will be on the news for sure.  If you want to project your experience with one A-hole cop to an entire group of hundreds of thousands of individuals, then have at it.  We are used to it.

I see radar / laser detectors all the time on cars I stop for speeding (read that again for emphasis).  They are great for the economy, put people to work, but give their users a false sense of security.  They have very limited usefulness if the cop does his job right.  If an officer chooses to leave his radar on all the time or is using it on traffic ahead of you, then yes, you will have plenty of warning.  If not you will not have enough time to slow because even the standard cheapo units my dept uses are "instant on."  And if you think you can scramble a modern laser / radar then all I can say is good luck.  I have never seen one successfully used in my 17 years of experience.  You should have saved that money for your ticket.  ;D

Again, don't think I am a traffic Nazi.  I only write for true safety issues and patrol in a city that has plenty of crashes due to people not stopping in time.  My tickets are more about distracted driving and things that prevent drivers from seeing other highway users (i.e. things that will get a motorcyclist killed).  Yes, that is profiling and is completely legal and ethical.

Selling a product???   HUH???

The rest of it was interesting, funny and a good way to pass a few minutes of time... ;D :deadhorse:
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights