Author Topic: Super Bike vs F1 Auto  (Read 7656 times)

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Super Bike vs F1 Auto
« on: April 05, 2016, 01:38:11 PM »
Guy Martin and his Tyco BMW Superbike take on David Coulthard and a Red Bull RB8 Formula 1 car in a series of head-to-head challenges including a drag race, a brake test, a slalom and a circuit race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tlxG1-aWtI&feature=player_embedded
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Super Bike vs F1 Auto
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 03:03:18 PM »
Guy Martin and his Tyco BMW Superbike take on David Coulthard and a Red Bull RB8 Formula 1 car in a series of head-to-head challenges including a drag race, a brake test, a slalom and a circuit race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tlxG1-aWtI&feature=player_embedded

Interesting, but I want a rematch with a bike that was designed using the same amount of people/resources/years/money as the F1 car :)   It is easy to have a bike that is significantly faster in the straight (as you saw in the video)... but super-extreme cornering on a 2 wheel vehicle... that has some particularly interesting technical challenges.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 04:55:16 PM »
Apples to oranges. It should have been a Moto Gp bike.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 05:14:03 PM »
...and Marc Marquez.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 07:44:28 PM »
The side by side passing in the corners was a slap of reality, and in doing so, he was swinging wide.
The way the F1 danced through the rest of the course was poetic. I doubt Guy Martian could've had better
times than he did, and he did very well. All in all, the real thing was better than watching animated overlays.

COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 07:24:13 AM »
...and Marc Marquez.

MM on his motoGP Honda I believe would out run Guy Martin on the BMW but not nearly enough to make it even close to the F1 car. At COTA, MM has the lap record for a motorcycle and still about 22 seconds slower than F1.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 07:46:58 AM »
Cost of Moto Gp bike, $2M. Cost of Red Bull F1 car, $171M. I'm no math major but.....
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 08:08:23 AM »
Cost of Moto Gp bike, $2M. Cost of Red Bull F1 car, $171M. I'm no math major but.....

True but I doubt even a billion dollars is going to overcome 2 tiny contact patches vs 4 very large contact patches. That said, I don't even go to F1 at COTA any more. Totally boring compared to moto GP ;)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »
True but I doubt even a billion dollars is going to overcome 2 tiny contact patches vs 4 very large contact patches. That said, I don't even go to F1 at COTA any more. Totally boring compared to moto GP ;)

Absolutely. My point was, at 80 times the cost, 20 seconds is very expensive.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »
Speed costs $. How fast ya wanna go?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 01:09:14 PM »
I like Guy. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 02:22:44 PM »

True dat! And now with the hybrid cars the exhaust is muffled and it doesn't even sound like an F1 race anymore. Sure they go faster but the spectacle and soul of F1 racing is gone.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 02:47:33 PM »

Not a problem since it's sponsors and consumers footing the bill  :thumbs:

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 02:53:27 PM »
Cubic inches used to win races, now cubic money does.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »
True dat! And now with the hybrid cars the exhaust is muffled and it doesn't even sound like an F1 race anymore. Sure they go faster but the spectacle and soul of F1 racing is gone.

Fast *should* be quiet.  People need to get over this whole noise = fast crud.

Just wait until fully electric... OMG fast and virtually no sound at all.  All we need are vastly more powerful batteries.  But even with limited batteries- Tesla vehicles haul ass!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 03:47:26 PM »
Electric is good but there is NOTHING like the sound of a screaming internal combustion engine.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 04:04:06 PM »
Fast *should* be quiet.  People need to get over this whole noise = fast crud.

Just wait until fully electric... OMG fast and virtually no sound at all.  All we need are vastly more powerful batteries.  But even with limited batteries- Tesla vehicles haul ass!

Yeah, with the fedgov shoveling taxpayer money at Musk. If it's such a wonderful idea let it stand on it's own.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 04:08:02 PM »
Electric is good but there is NOTHING like the sound of a screaming internal combustion engine.

What????!!!  I can't hear you!!!!!!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 04:12:29 PM »
Yeah, with the fedgov shoveling taxpayer money at Musk.

The Fed gives a credit for all electric vehicles, not just Tesla.

If it's such a wonderful idea let it stand on it's own.

The Libertarian in me agrees...but the realist in me believes that market needs some support to get going.  I think a better route would be to tax gas higher and use THAT money only for things relating to improving transportation, and if that includes a subsidy for quiet/safe/efficient/green/anti-middle-east vehicles, that ain't so bad.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 05:19:43 PM by maxtog »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 04:22:09 PM »
I can hardly wait for my ObamaCar.