Author Topic: Was warming to hybrids  (Read 7162 times)

Offline blue14

• Arena
Re: Was warming to hybrids
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 05:06:28 AM »
Not just the cost of replacing batteries, but consider the impact of disposing of them. Was talking with a collision repair guy I know... there is a high percentage of hybrids that get "totaled" due to internal damage when batteries shift in a crash.

Not to mention the problems emergency responders have when attempting to get people out and towing them.  Electrocutions and serious injuries.....
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 10:55:38 AM »
Nice choice POKEY! You look like the STI type though. Subaru make a very reliable AWD car. They don't even know how to make a 2wd. I had a 1991 Legacy around the time Subaru was changing their image. Your going to love that car.

I love the WRX, but have no desire for an STi, I am having a hard enough time keeping this one at the speed limits!! I just got back from a work trip to Bowling Green KY and averaged 27/29 mpg for the trip "that is plenty good in my opinion." ;) It hauls ass up hills, corners like a sports car, has a very nice comfy ride......... and has awesome torque, I have the 5 speed by the way. There is absolutely no need for hybrids, the technology for getting seriously good gas mileage would be very easy to obtain "if they would just do it"!!!!! >:(
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 07:01:27 AM »
I love the WRX, but have no desire for an STi

In case anyone is reading this and looking for an STi, there's a 2008 available at a dealer near Albany, NY.  DON'T buy it.  I know the guy that traded it in.  Seriously - Don't buy it.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 04:35:39 PM »
Nobody buys used STIs. It's like buying used Bottle-rockets and firecrackers
Joel from Maine.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 05:10:45 PM »
I love the WRX, but have no desire for an STi, I am having a hard enough time keeping this one at the speed limits!! I just got back from a work trip to Bowling Green KY and averaged 27/29 mpg for the trip "that is plenty good in my opinion." ;) It hauls ass up hills, corners like a sports car, has a very nice comfy ride......... and has awesome torque, I have the 5 speed by the way. There is absolutely no need for hybrids, the technology for getting seriously good gas mileage would be very easy to obtain "if they would just do it"!!!!! >:(

Ah yes, but they really haven't, have they?  So until they do, I'm sticking with me hybrid...  If I can get 300k out of the beast and have to replace the batteries...big whup.  I'm happy with that.  Engine looks like it will go that far as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 05:32:15 PM »
I've worked on quoting and building assembly automation systems for hybrid batteries in the Leaf, Volt, and new Fiat 500 coming out. I don't think I've met a customer manufacturing engineer yet that would buy one. Add the government incentives to the manufactures to build lines for volumes that don't exist, government incentives to the consumer, and then a premium cost still on top of that.......... How does this make sense?

Lithium Ion, car batteries or camera batteries, I have a pretty good idea what they cost, and I can tell you your not going to change your new generation all electric battery for under 5 figures.

And then we can talk about solar panels............

Automotive is doing it for the fleet mileage and government incentives and power companies for green quota requirements.......... all paid by the tax payer.

I should not complain because my company has profited greatly by the "stimulus"; but, the payback for investment can not stand on it's own.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 06:20:56 PM »
I've worked on quoting and building assembly automation systems for hybrid batteries in the Leaf, Volt, and new Fiat 500 coming out. I don't think I've met a customer manufacturing engineer yet that would buy one. Add the government incentives to the manufactures to build lines for volumes that don't exist, government incentives to the consumer, and then a premium cost still on top of that.......... How does this make sense?

Lithium Ion, car batteries or camera batteries, I have a pretty good idea what they cost, and I can tell you your not going to change your new generation all electric battery for under 5 figures.

And then we can talk about solar panels............

Automotive is doing it for the fleet mileage and government incentives and power companies for green quota requirements.......... all paid by the tax payer.

I should not complain because my company has profited greatly by the "stimulus"; but, the payback for investment can not stand on it's own.

All well and probably true. But what you're overlooking is that if there's no "push" to get this technology to the point where it does become economically feasible without incentives, then it likely never will happen. Or happen when it's too late to do us any damn good. Sometimes these "bad investments" are the only way to make any progress, since companies are profit-oriented (like yours) and R&D budgets never big enough.

Electric cars make a certain amount of sense, especially since most driving is within urban areas.

Personally, I think the world would be a better place and have plenty of oil if EVERYONE rode motorcycles (as long as they're not HDs).  :P

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
My previous employer of 2 weeks ago "GE" makes me sick about their whole "fake" green campaign. At least it got them a massive tax ride off with BHO. ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 08:56:29 PM »
My previous employer of 2 weeks ago "GE" makes me sick about their whole "fake" green campaign. At least it got them a massive tax ride off with BHO. ::)

But Obama loves GE when it comes to campaign contributions.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Bob

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 11:20:29 AM »

GE polluted the Hudson river for years dumping PCB's into the river. Then when they were ordered to clean it up. They spent millions and millions in ad campanes and fighting the clean up. Yeah they are so green!  :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 04:21:56 AM »
Looks like 'Bob' left us....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 04:48:47 AM »
I was thinking about a Civic hybrid when the current civic needs replacing. But now i'm having second thoughts!  :o
2005 Concours

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 04:59:17 AM »
From what I've read and seen and been trained on, injuries and electrocutions are not a worry to me from hybrids because they simply do not happen. I've never heard if it happening, if it has, it would be very rare indeed, and most likely connected to something else attributed to the hybrid, I mean, you'd really have to go out of your way to try to get electrocuted. There are of course exceptions.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 05:01:08 AM »
From what I've read and seen and been trained on, injuries and electrocutions are not a worry to me from hybrids because they simply do not happen. I've never heard if it happening, if it has, it would be very rare indeed, and most likely connected to something else attributed to the hybrid, I mean, you'd really have to go out of your way to try to get electrocuted. There are of course exceptions.

If you are in an accident the picture changes.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 05:04:07 AM »
I like my Prius, but I think with the current and potential market of autos that are getting decent mileage, I may look at a conventional car in the future.   I am not going to buy a roller skate car for good gas mileage.  The Prius is roomy (05) and it's power band suits me.  I can pass when I want to and it works well, but the cost vs the gas mileage will have to be taken into account on a new purchase.  I can't complain about the vehicle at all.  It has served me well in my style of driving which is all over the state of Virginia.  This morning I'm averaging 55mpg + at high speeds around the DC beltway (early in the morning).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 05:04:44 AM »
If you are in an accident the picture changes.

How does that picture change?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 05:17:46 AM »
Yes, I'd like to know how one get electrocuted or injured from electricity while in a hybrid in a crash. I'm not being sarcastic, I'd like to know if you got new info cause I'm the guy thats going to be getting you out of them if you do crash.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 05:27:47 AM »
Yes, I'd like to know how one get electrocuted or injured from electricity while in a hybrid in a crash. I'm not being sarcastic, I'd like to know if you got new info cause I'm the guy thats going to be getting you out of them if you do crash.

http://www.gizmag.com/nfpa-teaching-ev-safety-to-first-responders/17677/

Make sure you cut the power before you do anything.  If you do no problem.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 05:47:38 AM »
Thats the info I have too, so nothing new for me. Thanks though.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 06:10:31 AM »
Thats the info I have too, so nothing new for me. Thanks though.

I have been told that towing company's in Calif were refusing to tow hybrids and EV's.  But again the industry is rife with rumor.