Author Topic: It's official Windows 8 is the New Coke  (Read 9727 times)

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: It's official Windows 8 is the New Coke
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
I just installed Classic Mode... gratis... works nice so far!
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 03:13:26 PM »
I bought a MacBook yesterday. I will spend some time learning the differences and the new features on a Mac, but I moving my personal stuff to the Mac. I decided not to wait for Microsoft to fix their screw up.

Congrats....  when a second best product "just won't suffice" 

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »
Win dose ate good. Solid like rock and wheel. Push button, color change. Play music, sound like wind. Much happy, much smart above owner, you like.

Rick

Did you write the owner's manual for the C-14?

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 04:02:37 PM »
There are three of us in my office. Two of them got forced by our idiot IT dept to Win 8 and they hate it. Today, we were doing a class and Win 8 chose to reset the monitor settings on our laptop by itself. Stopped the class cold for 10 minutes until they found me to fix it. I saw an articlein the Wall Street Journal recently that attributed the accerating collapse of PC and Laptop sales to the Windows 8 system. Yes, it was designed as a touch screen system that they thought would allow them to muscle in on the tablet and phone markets.  It sucks.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Harry

• Pass the duct tape please...
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
I have an expensive A3 size scanner that became obsolete with WIN7 and probably also worthless with WIN8.

I reinstalled WIN XP on a barely working laptop (has only one working USB port) to keep using the perfectly good scanner. I decided to install XP without access to the Internet, NO Service Pack 1, 2, or 3. The thing is so friggn fast, it does circles around WIN7 with all the upgrades. Amazing what an older OS can do when it's not bogged down with so much overhead. WIN XP is dedicated to scanning my drawings and so will probably never be a problem from this point on.

My newer laptop with a whopping 4GB of memory is now running Ubuntu just fine thank you.

MS has killed it for me. No new MS OSs after WIN7. I stopped drinking Coke a long time ago. Beer tastes better.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY   *1986 Vintage C10 "Silverdammit" * - *2015 C14 "Greendammit"*

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 02:05:49 PM »
I know on Windows 7 that there is a virtual XP environment.  That's how I'm running my Fujitsu Fi-4120C at the moment without any issues.  The scanner was too expensive and did not have any issues.  The XP environment took care of keeping it still operational.  I don't know if Windows hate as the same function.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 02:29:11 PM »
I know on Windows 7 that there is a virtual XP environment.  That's how I'm running my Fujitsu Fi-4120C at the moment without any issues...

No matter how hard or how long I tried, WIN7 in XP mode could not drive my scanner. WIN XP is now forever married to my scanner. If I sell the scanner, it will come with a free laptop  ;)
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY   *1986 Vintage C10 "Silverdammit" * - *2015 C14 "Greendammit"*

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 02:32:38 PM »
Hmmm, there's an XP compatibility function and the XP virtual environment.  They're different.  Are you saying the virtual environment didn't work?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »
I'm saying XP mode didn't work. When I looked at the instructions to install XP virtual environment, I went into convulsions. I decided it was far easier to revive an older laptop with a fresh install of a stripped down copy of XP. I don't use XP/Scanner everyday, so it's a match made in heaven.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »
I certainly can understand that.  I've done it twice.  Once on my home pc and once on the laptop.  Second time wasn't so bad.

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »
Ha...my current laptop is running Ubuntu. Even more pain to reinstall WIN 7 just to install XP VE. I have yet to try WINE to see if that would run the scanner HW/SW. It's a cruel world.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »
Especially with technology...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 05:39:50 AM »
I've had to use XP virtual environment (XP mode) several times at work on Win7 machines with some older VERY specialized software and it worked great. It's not hard to set-up.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 06:41:14 AM »
I've got a program from VMware that runs a stripped down XP on a 64 bit Win 7 machine.
http://www.vmware.com/

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 11:05:36 AM »
The more that I use Windows 8 the more I hate it. I just bought a new laptop and thank goodness that I was able to get it with Win7 installed.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
8 or 8.1?  Sorry, wrong thread..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2013, 06:12:32 AM »
Dunno, all I know is that it sucks.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2013, 09:14:07 PM »
I'm waiting for 12.  I've always liked that number.  If you add it up, it comes to 3 which is another number I like or you could just subtract 1 and get 1....it's all good.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2013, 04:47:40 AM »
I'm waiting for 12.  I've always liked that number.  If you add it up, it comes to 3 which is another number I like or you could just subtract 1 and get 1....it's all good.

That's the spirit!

Offline cmoore

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2013, 05:25:31 AM »
My wife was forced into Windows 8 by her IT department. She complains about it all the time. Are they doing anything to fix this?  I did send my wife the link to the Gizmodo article. That looks like a good place to start.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas