Author Topic: Best pin hole gas leak fix? Conpatible tank for 2011?  (Read 674 times)

Offline Tylerkaz

Best pin hole gas leak fix? Conpatible tank for 2011?
« on: March 24, 2021, 07:50:45 PM »
What is the best way to fix a pin hole leak under the seat? Also what year tanks will fit a 2011 concours 14? Is the ninja 1400 conpatable? (Also dont want any thing the holds less gas)

Thanks

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Best pin hole gas leak fix? Conpatible tank for 2011?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 04:05:03 AM »
I've never fixed a C14 gas tank so will let others chime in on that.
On a C10 tank I had a split welded by a local guy. He spent 20 mins blowing heated air through the tank to dry it out and then filled the area to be welded with welders sand to prevent any explosions. He did a great job and after lining the tank with POR-15 and a respray it looked OEM and zero leaks.

All years C14 tanks are identical in shape & fittings.
I believe that the ZX14 tanks are also the same, but not sure about the ZX14R (1441cc engine) tank.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 07:46:38 AM »
JB Weld?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 08:09:06 AM »
If the area can't be seen, they make a gas resistant epoxy that should do it.
JB Weld is one of the companies that offers it.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 09:31:08 AM »
If the area can't be seen, they make a gas resistant epoxy that should do it.
JB Weld is one of the companies that offers it.

Ride safe, Ted

Yes its the uder the seat part of tank

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 10:54:29 AM »
I've never fixed a C14 gas tank so will let others chime in on that.
On a C10 tank I had a split welded by a local guy. He spent 20 mins blowing heated air through the tank to dry it out and then filled the area to be welded with welders sand to prevent any explosions. He did a great job and after lining the tank with POR-15 and a respray it looked OEM and zero leaks.

All years C14 tanks are identical in shape & fittings.
I believe that the ZX14 tanks are also the same, but not sure about the ZX14R (1441cc engine) tank.

I did notice some c14 tanks on ebay have 3 fuel lines and others have 2 comming out of the tank.

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 11:19:39 AM »
JB Weld?

I had a tank on a ZX1000R start leaking, badly, on a trip to Washington DC one day. I got a ride to a auto parts store, and got JB Weld, the quick version. The seam at the bottom had a good long section that was bad, very bad, with a gap of almost 1/8 inch in a couple spots after cleaning the area to get it ready to patch. The area that needed patched was about 1 1/2 inches long.

I patched it, waited 45 minutes, filled it with the gas gan I also bought, then rode to the gas station and filled it the rest of the way. I continued on to DC, spent the night, then rode back to Pittsburgh the next day.

That patch lasted 2 years before I finally found a used tank on Ebay. It had just begin to break down after two years.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 07:35:29 AM »
I did notice some c14 tanks on ebay have 3 fuel lines and others have 2 comming out of the tank.
Californian bikes have the gas vapour pipes in addition to the normal 2 breathers.
The fuel line connects to the bottom of the gas tank.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 10:24:48 PM »
Californian bikes have the gas vapour pipes in addition to the normal 2 breathers.
The fuel line connects to the bottom of the gas tank.

Thanks, couldn’t figure that out (make more sense) So would i be able to use a calafornian tank on a 2 breather modle or dose it need to hook into somthing else?

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 10:28:05 PM »
I found some expoxy puddy thats called tank weld by jb weld. It cures in 1hr seems to have fixed my leak. Atleast for now, until i find a reasonably priced tank.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 05:54:54 AM »
I found some expoxy puddy thats called tank weld by jb weld. It cures in 1hr seems to have fixed my leak. Atleast for now, until i find a reasonably priced tank.

https://www.jbweld.com/product/tankweld

Looks good.  Unless you are in California, in which case, it causes cancer :)

Sometimes I wonder if all their different products are the exact same thing, just in different colors.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 04:58:58 PM »
Tylerkaz, if your tank still looks good and the epoxy is holding for now, you should look into cleaning and lining the inside of the tank.

Most of the good ones will also seal small holes and your tank would be almost like new inside again.

This is the one I have used ... https://www.kbs-coatings.com/large-cycle-tank-sealer-kit.html

I used this on the tank of my 78 KZ1000 Z1R TC and my 99 C10 and had great results.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645