Author Topic: excuses for a Shoei Neotec [EDIT: got it!!!]  (Read 22912 times)

Offline marku8a

Re: excuses for a Shoei Neotec
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »

Keep going, pros and cons please...

I am also interested in the Neotec. My last few helmets have been Arais. They very light and provide a very snug fit when new. They kind of break in over time. I tried on a couple of Neotecs this weekend. It's definitely a different fit. It's like the large is a little too big and the medium is too small. I haven't owned a Shoe before. I have to admit I do like the features on the Neotec. The built in sun visor got my attention. They also have removable foam inserts at the ears to place your intercom speakers.

I am on the fence at the moment.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 05:22:21 PM »
After spending the day today with Chet (ie SoP and a fellow chewer  :) ) I am now seeing the benifits of a modular helmet, I did some searches and now have this Shoei Neotec on my radar...

Keep going, pros and cons please...

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Getting tired of swallowing in that full face?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 05:35:06 PM »
Getting tired of swallowing in that full face?

Nope, that's not the problem. But spitting a chew out will riding is never easy with a closed face...  :(

Excavator

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 06:53:51 PM »

Nope, that's not the problem. But spitting a chew out will riding is never easy with a closed face...  :(

I went with the Multitec, just really can't get away from the modulars but it has nothing to do with the smokeless product I use.

I'm quite pleased with it so far.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »
Copenhagen Pouches are da bomb for riders.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »
Copenhagen Pouches are da bomb for riders.

Ya, I'm gonna give those a try when riding, thanks for the tip bro.  :)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 04:45:29 PM »
I'll be pulling the trigger on a white Neotec in a week or so... got a group buy going on another forum, a bit over $500 shipped.  8)

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »
Just bought a Scorpion 900 modular and lovin' it- paid 229. w/tax in Pasadena. I will use it open face in warm weather and when it gets colder, I will snap the full face back on. It has a flip down tinted visor- but all open faces need ear plugs too.

Offline 46Alpha

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 05:55:56 AM »
I know I'm new here (just got the Connie a few weeks ago) but I picked up a new Neotec a few days ago. Put about 400 miles with it on Sat and Sunday. Some thoughts:

-I'm a long time Arai user (Quantum-2, RX-7 and currently an RX-Q) I wear a Lg and got a Lg in the Shoei. The Arai is a much more snug fit. The Shoei is much more comfortable, but it almost feels like it's too big. That could just be that I'm so used to the Arai. The liner is plush and well made.

-The Neo comes with a removable chin skirt. It gets in the way with it on, but the helmet is louder with it off. I miss the retractable one on the Arai.

-The retractable sun screen on the Neo is top notch. My buddy rides a Nolan, the Neo has far better coverage and less distortion. The slider is a bit small and takes some getting used to. No big deal though. So nice not to have to carry a spare face shield in case I'm out at night when the dark smoke becomes a problem.

-The front lifts super easy and has a detent at the top so it won't flip down on you. When you slide it up/down, it's VERY smooth with no noise. When it locks up, it's rock solid. Use the included lube when/if you get it and it'll be like silk.

-It has three vents. The chin vent doesn't open wide enough for my liking and the rear exhaust vent has a very small tab that's a pain to hit with gloves on. The top vent is great though. It's a nice change from the Arai (Two top vents, one exhaust vent, two shield vents and a chin vent) but the Arai moved a lot more air.

-There is now way around it, it's loud. And I'm coming from a helmet that is known as loud. The Neotec is far louder than the Arai. I always ride with ear buds in, and I found it somewhat distracting at speed with the windscreen down at it's lowest point. It's too bad really, the Arai moved more air and had less noise.

-The face shield is a PITA. It has VERY strong detents. I'm hoping they will break in a bit. Shield swaps is easy enough. Many will complain about the Arai shield swap system, I've been using it for years and have grown used to it. I can swap an Arai shield in seconds. The Neotec is simple enough.

-I do LOVE the field of view in the Neo. Far wider side to side than the Arai, makes head checks much easier.

Lastly, this is the first modular I've owned. The option of being able to flip up the face at red lights is hands down the best. It was 90 here in NH yesterday and I rode into the city. Being able to cool off while at stops or stuck in traffic is wonderful. I think  I would have a hard time going back to a full face. The price is steep, and only you can say if it's worth it. Overall a nice helmet. I'm happy with it, but dropping the $600 on it hurt (had to hold off on the new slip on for a bit :(

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »
Just bought a Scorpion 900 modular and lovin' it- paid 229. w/tax in Pasadena. I will use it open face in warm weather and when it gets colder, I will snap the full face back on. It has a flip down tinted visor- but all open faces need ear plugs too.

That is my current lid, getting a bit long in tooth...
Rob

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 12:02:42 PM »
I know I'm new here (just got the Connie a few weeks ago) but I picked up a new Neotec a few days ago. Put about 400 miles with it on Sat and Sunday. Some thoughts:

-I'm a long time Arai user (Quantum-2, RX-7 and currently an RX-Q) I wear a Lg and got a Lg in the Shoei. The Arai is a much more snug fit. The Shoei is much more comfortable, but it almost feels like it's too big. That could just be that I'm so used to the Arai. The liner is plush and well made.

-The Neo comes with a removable chin skirt. It gets in the way with it on, but the helmet is louder with it off. I miss the retractable one on the Arai.

-The retractable sun screen on the Neo is top notch. My buddy rides a Nolan, the Neo has far better coverage and less distortion. The slider is a bit small and takes some getting used to. No big deal though. So nice not to have to carry a spare face shield in case I'm out at night when the dark smoke becomes a problem.

-The front lifts super easy and has a detent at the top so it won't flip down on you. When you slide it up/down, it's VERY smooth with no noise. When it locks up, it's rock solid. Use the included lube when/if you get it and it'll be like silk.

-It has three vents. The chin vent doesn't open wide enough for my liking and the rear exhaust vent has a very small tab that's a pain to hit with gloves on. The top vent is great though. It's a nice change from the Arai (Two top vents, one exhaust vent, two shield vents and a chin vent) but the Arai moved a lot more air.

-There is now way around it, it's loud. And I'm coming from a helmet that is known as loud. The Neotec is far louder than the Arai. I always ride with ear buds in, and I found it somewhat distracting at speed with the windscreen down at it's lowest point. It's too bad really, the Arai moved more air and had less noise.

-The face shield is a PITA. It has VERY strong detents. I'm hoping they will break in a bit. Shield swaps is easy enough. Many will complain about the Arai shield swap system, I've been using it for years and have grown used to it. I can swap an Arai shield in seconds. The Neotec is simple enough.

-I do LOVE the field of view in the Neo. Far wider side to side than the Arai, makes head checks much easier.

Lastly, this is the first modular I've owned. The option of being able to flip up the face at red lights is hands down the best. It was 90 here in NH yesterday and I rode into the city. Being able to cool off while at stops or stuck in traffic is wonderful. I think  I would have a hard time going back to a full face. The price is steep, and only you can say if it's worth it. Overall a nice helmet. I'm happy with it, but dropping the $600 on it hurt (had to hold off on the new slip on for a bit :(

Thanks for the feedback 46! I'm also a long time Arai owner/user and love my Corsair V but am intreeged to try this Shoei Neotec. If Arai made a comperable modular helmet I would most likely try it but they don't, seems they're missing a market on this...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »
I'll be pulling the trigger on a white Neotec in a week or so... got a group buy going on another forum, a bit over $500 shipped.  8)

How long is the group buy going on Rob? Do you need to be a member of that forum to take part in it?

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 12:29:44 PM »

How long is the group buy going on Rob? Do you need to be a member of that forum to take part in it?

The info you need...  ;)

Okay guys here we go, Just found out shoei has set a price but i think this is a very fair price at 515.00 no tax and free delivery...When you call please inform Jeff that you are from the st owners forum and the code for this group by is 123ST.. We have a total of 20 guys and i could not get the price down any further due to shoei,s vendor policy with pricing ..if your still in please call Jeff at 877 837 0047.
Rob

Offline 46Alpha

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
The info you need...  ;)

Okay guys here we go, Just found out shoei has set a price but i think this is a very fair price at 515.00 no tax and free delivery...When you call please inform Jeff that you are from the st owners forum and the code for this group by is 123ST.. We have a total of 20 guys and i could not get the price down any further due to shoei,s vendor policy with pricing ..if your still in please call Jeff at 877 837 0047.

That's one heck of a deal. Too bad I missed it. But I didn't do too bad. I had some Zillacash on my account (-$25) and got another $25 back on the purchase of the lid. Helped pay for my Sena SMH-10.

ZG, if you have the chance, try before you buy. The Shoei fits well, but it's a slightly different shape than the Arai. I don't know if you'll ever see Arai break into the modular helmet market, but it may be coming. With Snell finally certifying a modular, Arai may try out the market. Who know's? But can you imagine the price for a well built Arai modular?!? :o

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 03:02:11 PM »
The info you need...  ;)

Thanks bro, do you know how long the group buy is going for?

ZG, if you have the chance, try before you buy. The Shoei fits well, but it's a slightly different shape than the Arai. I don't know if you'll ever see Arai break into the modular helmet market, but it may be coming. With Snell finally certifying a modular, Arai may try out the market. Who know's? But can you imagine the price for a well built Arai modular?!? :o

Yep, I'll definately find one to try on first, as well give my local dealer a chance to price match.

Yep, Arai's aren't cheap, but I'm ok with that for a good lid...  :)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 03:07:13 PM »
I think it's going on for a week... till the end of next week.
Rob

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 09:13:25 AM »
Hey ZG,
what color are you going to buy?  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
Hey ZG,

Not sure yet...  ;) :rotflmao:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Hey ZG,