Author Topic: excuses for a Shoei Neotec [EDIT: got it!!!]  (Read 22913 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
excuses for a Shoei Neotec [EDIT: got it!!!]
« on: March 23, 2012, 03:55:42 AM »
I've had my Shoei XR-1000 for 4 years now and I think that it is, in terms of fit, just perfect. I don't have any spots on my coconut that hurt after long rides, nor sweat, nor any other complain, really. I always tour with earplugs or Panasonic RP-HC55 noise cancelling earphones, so noise is not an issue.
My only 2 wishes regarding helmets are: I'd like a visor built in, and I want a flip helmet. The Multitec doesn't have a visor, and in my opinion is fugly. The Neotec is expensive, but I like it and it seems to tick all the boxes. Can somebody give me a reason not to buy it?  ???
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:41:14 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline tonedeaf

Re: excuses for a Shoei Neotec
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:22:01 AM »
The only reason I can think of is that it will not have Snell certification. This is important to me -- although it may not be as important now as it was 30 years ago when there were some truly worthless helmets on the market.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:01:10 AM »
The only reason I can think of is that it will not have Snell certification. This is important to me -- although it may not be as important now as it was 30 years ago when there were some truly worthless helmets on the market.

Every resource on this helmet I can fin says that it is Snell approved.  They all may be wrong though.

This is just one of a trillion google is returning back, note the bottom spec:  http://www.jcmotors.com/p-30912-shoei-neotec-modular-helmet.aspx

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 07:32:58 AM »
I can't think of a reason not to buy it, however there are other choices that are modular and have a built-in visor. I've used Nolan for years as well as HJC. Both offer the two requirements.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:23:38 AM »
Every HJC I have ever worn has felt like a cheap piece of junk and sounded like it too. I have a Nolan and a Multitec. Nolan I cannot wear cause my head ain't round. Love the Multitec but it is about time for new. Been eyeballing the Neotec. I thought I read somewhere that Snell would never approve a modular....
Jeff

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 08:25:17 AM »
From The reviews I have read, The HJC Sy-Max III is a huge improvement over the earlier models in all aspects. Probably not quite as nice as the Neotec since it is cheaper but still might be worth looking into.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »
Not the whole SNELL thing again.......... ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »
To answer the OPs Q, because your old helmet really does stink :'(

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 11:01:26 AM »
Yeah, that Neotec would be much more enticing if the price weren't where it is.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/neotec/
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Stretch

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
You only go around once, and besides, it's not like you will be replacing the Neotec next year.  I
ve had mine for only 300 miles and love the fit.  It was time to replace the X11 and I wasn't to keen on spending that kind on money.  But in the long run, I'm glad I sprung for the Neotec. 

Don't waste time debating about it, just buy it and enjoy the ride.

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 11:01:48 PM »
Every resource on this helmet I can fin says that it is Snell approved.  They all may be wrong though.

This is just one of a trillion google is returning back, note the bottom spec:  http://www.jcmotors.com/p-30912-shoei-neotec-modular-helmet.aspx

The only place I looked was the Shoei website. None of their modulars mention Snell. All of their non-modulars specifically mention Snell. Check the website (click on Tech Specs for all the helmets): http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?X-Twelve&h=19&t=1

"Not the Snell thing again..."
For those who have not been around long enough to know the issues with early helmets; Snell was a big deal.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »
I can't think of a reason not to buy it, however there are other choices that are modular and have a built-in visor. I've used Nolan for years as well as HJC. Both offer the two requirements.

Hi Phil,
I tried the Nolan yesterday, a couple of different models actually, and just like when I bought my XR-1000, my head didn't like them. Quality stuff, just not the right shape for me. Shoeis fit like they were made for me. HJC is another story. They seem to make either rubbish or good stuff, but the Shoei is still better than any HJC, in my opinion.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Excavator

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »
Has anyone tried the Shoei Qwest Passage?  Pros/cons?  Worth the cost of 469.00?

Thinking of replacing my HJC with this.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
I bought one of these.
Can be used with the chinpiece locked up (actually back) AND the clear visor and/or sunvisor down.
Tested by me at freeway speeds, windscreen down and up.
http://www.shark-helmets.com/product.php?modele=EVOLINE+SERIE+2+MOOVIT+Mat+-ST+Black+Orange+Black&sous_gamme=EVOLINE&gamme=The+SHARK+Urban+range&reference_modele=HE9174EKOK&langue=UNITED+KINGDOM+UNITED+KINGDOM+-+English
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 10:57:34 AM »

I have been told that SNELL never approves a flip helmet.

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »
Has anyone tried the Shoei Qwest Passage?  Pros/cons?  Worth the cost of 469.00?

Thinking of replacing my HJC with this.

Just ordered a new Qwest 2 days ago.  I am awaiting delivery and looking forward to it.  I have always liked Shoei helmets.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 08:20:56 PM »
The Qwest doesn't fit the same as the RF-1100, which fits me perfectly. If I had a rounder head, the Overt Qwest would be my next helmet. The pictures don't do the paint scheme justice. You need to see one in person.

I have also been eyeballing the Neotec, but haven't found one to try on yet.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
Wish the Neotec came in HiViz
Jeff

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »
I have been told that SNELL never approves a flip helmet.

I think it's just that no manufacturer has supplied a modular for SNELL testing.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 12:22:10 AM »
After spending the day today with Chet (ie SoP and a fellow chewer  :) ) I am now seeing the benifits of a modular helmet, I did some searches and now have this Shoei Neotec on my radar...

Keep going, pros and cons please...

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: