Author Topic: rotors  (Read 18691 times)

Offline JS_racer

Re: rotors
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2014, 09:33:50 AM »
My 2011 is the worse bike I've had yet, because of the front rotor issues. It currently has under 15,000 miles. It has had rotors changed out 3 times. The last time was at 13,200 miles and it is sitting in the garage with warped rotors again 1500 miles later. Every set of rotors started the pulsating at about the same 1200 mile mark. Continues to worsen as you ride it. It goes back in to see the Kawasaki Service Tech from New England on July 7-9 for the second time.
My 2010 is the bike I am riding when this isn't sitting. The rotors on this bike were changed at 38,000 miles due to warping. The 2010 feels way better than the 2011 and always has.
There is a serious brake issue with these bikes. Hopefully Kawasaki will be putting a different brand of brakes on these soon. Or they'll lose customers.

so you have a 2010 and 2011 c14?? 1200 miles to pulse, anything hanging up?? or that's the way it is ??
my 09 with 70k warped the oe rotors, also below spec. watching closely for replacement options, aftermarket might be an option
the bike is still under warrenty, but rotors are below spec, might be an easy denial of coverage. also not sure i want the issues others have been having.
did kawi update the rotor design ??
oe galfer ebc brembo, so many options.  ???

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2014, 09:58:09 AM »
It is a long story, but I bought a new 2011 after I had my 2010 for two years. My insurance has better coverage for the first 2 years of ownership. I had my 2010 on consignment until I had issues with my 2011.
I believe there was a rotor change in 2011. Not a change for the better. Both of my bikes are under warranty or extended warranty. Nothing seems to be hanging up. I just keep bringing it in for service. It has been a horrible bike.
I also had a 2008 and totaled it with 44,000 miles on it. Had one rotor replaced at 15,000 miles.
Joel from Maine.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
Interesting. The rotor carriers were changed mid- year in 2011 I think and it seems that the incidence of rotor warping has declined or at least it appears to the be the case based on the number of complaints (that is not data, only my perception). That said, when I was at the COG national rally, a few of us got into that discussion and we looked around at a bunch of C-14's of various years: there was clearly a change in the later rotor carriers but it seems that the late carriers were actually lighter than the early ones! At least the notches stamped out of the carriers is larger, meaning there is less area of rotor carrier on the later models. Of course they may be thicker and so overall be heavier but that is not how they appear. ??

At any rate, I have an '08 with stock rotors: the first set warped at 57K miles and was replaced, front and rear. The rear again warped soon after, and was also replaced under warranty but I found the caliper had one piston stuck (not quite frozen but stiff (easy boys!)). The front rotors are still smooth approaching 100K miles, and the second replacement rear rotor has been fine also.

I will ask my local dealer about the incidence of rotors warping on later C-14's next time I stop by.

Brian

My 2011 is the worse bike I've had yet, because of the front rotor issues. It currently has under 15,000 miles. It has had rotors changed out 3 times. The last time was at 13,200 miles and it is sitting in the garage with warped rotors again 1500 miles later. Every set of rotors started the pulsating at about the same 1200 mile mark. Continues to worsen as you ride it. It goes back in to see the Kawasaki Service Tech from New England on July 7-9 for the second time.
My 2010 is the bike I am riding when this isn't sitting. The rotors on this bike were changed at 38,000 miles due to warping. The 2010 feels way better than the 2011 and always has.
There is a serious brake issue with these bikes. Hopefully Kawasaki will be putting a different brand of brakes on these soon. Or they'll lose customers.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
Two questions:

1)How can I figure out if I need new calipers?

2) My rear brakes don't pulsate like the front but is it better to replace both front and back? Worse case maybe order new rear pads?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2014, 12:48:31 PM »
Not sure who you are asking but my answer is free.... :-)

You should never need new calipers. Calipers are rebuild-able with new seals and O-rings and unless physically damaged or extremely badly corroded, should last forever.

There is no connection between the front and rear brakes on any motorcycle (talking about relational connections here, not being linked or sharing hydraulics) so one end needing service / repair has absolutely no bearing on the other end. In other words, treat them as totally separate entities, just as you would headlights and taillights.

Brian

Two questions:

1)How can I figure out if I need new calipers?

2) My rear brakes don't pulsate like the front but is it better to replace both front and back? Worse case maybe order new rear pads?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »
Thanks Brian. The rears seem to work fine, worse case new pads because I've been using them more with the rotors on the front being shot. I miss Razees though, and I'm not impressed with the dealers here in Alabama but did find an independent who will do them.

I'm also sticker shocked with the cost of the EBC parts though!!  $551 for rotors and pads through motorcycle superstore!!!  :o

First time buying brakes so maybe it's normal.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2014, 02:28:52 PM »
Thanks Brian. The rears seem to work fine, worse case new pads because I've been using them more with the rotors on the front being shot. I miss Razees though, and I'm not impressed with the dealers here in Alabama but did find an independent who will do them.

I'm also sticker shocked with the cost of the EBC parts though!!  $551 for rotors and pads through motorcycle superstore!!!  :o

Lucky your not buying for a BMW 1600 $$
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2014, 03:15:36 PM »
Yeah, big motorcycle brake components are expensive and the C-14 is right in line with that- or maybe even a bit on the high side.

That said, there are alternatives. There are the Chinese 'no name' rotors being hawked on Ebay; I have no direct knowledge but I have always suspected they are really coming off a production line for a major company and simply being sold directly to us. Put another way, they are 'Brand X' but not sold THROUGH the 'Brand X' network.

New Old Stock is also a possibility- look for NOS or 'New take- offs' on Ebay and similar. I grabbed a set of front forks for a ZX 14 complete and new for $369 delivered. There was a wheel, rotors and other parts on the front end I bought so they should also have been for sale at some point.

Best of luck with this.

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »
Aside from those rotors coming from China, I haven't heard anything bad about them that I remember.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2014, 04:22:28 PM »

Murph can save you maybe $40.00 for the full front EBC set up.  And no one ships faster.  I just finished changing mine this afternoon.
www.murphskits.com

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
Interesting. The rotor carriers were changed mid- year in 2011 I think and it seems that the incidence of rotor warping has declined or at least it appears to the be the case based on the number of complaints (that is not data, only my perception). That said, when I was at the COG national rally, a few of us got into that discussion and we looked around at a bunch of C-14's of various years: there was clearly a change in the later rotor carriers but it seems that the late carriers were actually lighter than the early ones! At least the notches stamped out of the carriers is larger, meaning there is less area of rotor carrier on the later models. Of course they may be thicker and so overall be heavier but that is not how they appear. ??

At any rate, I have an '08 with stock rotors: the first set warped at 57K miles and was replaced, front and rear. The rear again warped soon after, and was also replaced under warranty but I found the caliper had one piston stuck (not quite frozen but stiff (easy boys!)). The front rotors are still smooth approaching 100K miles, and the second replacement rear rotor has been fine also.

I will ask my local dealer about the incidence of rotors warping on later C-14's next time I stop by.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Some good info right there. I really think that there is something bigger than just brakes wrong with the 2011. I am not a Tech, so I can only guess. Like you I put a lot of miles on these bikes and am trying not to switch to a different brand. But this 2011 has really sucked out my patience, I'll have more info after July 10th or so.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2014, 08:42:18 AM »
Anyone used the EBC pro pads? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co.uk/30961/i/ebc-extreme-pro-front-brake-pad

I'll be changing my rotors soon and plan on going with EBC as well

Offline clogan

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2014, 03:06:32 PM »
Murph can save you maybe $40.00 for the full front EBC set up.  And no one ships faster.  I just finished changing mine this afternoon.
www.murphskits.com

It's just weird that I can buy 4 rotors for my Z-06 Corvette for less than the cost of two rotors for my motorcycle! And let me tell you, that Corvette tax aint cheap to begin with. I guess all that fancy milling, taking the metal out of bike rotors makes them expensive. They're probably 1/10 the mass of car rotors. If there was any less metal in them, nobody could afford them, LOL!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2014, 06:29:07 AM »
I paid $174.50 each for my EBC  XC rotors from Amazon
EBC Brakes MD4155XC Brake Rotor
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

My OEM rotors lasted 122,000 miles before they began pulsating. But at that point they were worn to 3.5 mm, a full mm less than the service limit.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2014, 11:43:05 AM »
Anyone used the EBC pro pads? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co.uk/30961/i/ebc-extreme-pro-front-brake-pad

I'll be changing my rotors soon and plan on going with EBC as well

No first hand knowledge on these pads, but most race pads require big heat to be effective, routine street use may be less than desirable.  If you use the bike for weekend canyon carving and no commuter miles these may be great.  I found the EBC HHs to be great on road and the track. 

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2014, 03:03:35 AM »
The rotors or PJ's? ;)

PJ's
Well both I guess; if one deals w rotors....
I guess do, I had dealt with the OEM's long enough!

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2014, 03:06:02 AM »
Thanks Brian. Some good info right there. I really think that there is something bigger than just brakes wrong with the 2011. I am not a Tech, so I can only guess. Like you I put a lot of miles on these bikes and am trying not to switch to a different brand. But this 2011 has really sucked out my patience, I'll have more info after July 10th or so.

I warped a set of the updated ones, got a second set which were later tested as in spec.  Those are on a shelf now too.  Worthwhile if Kawi is flipping the bill otherwise; Brembo.
Or EBC if that's your preference; just not OEM.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2014, 08:18:16 AM »
....I'm also sticker shocked with the cost of the EBC parts though!!  $551 for rotors and pads through motorcycle superstore!!!  :o ...
www.murphskits.com

I paid $174.50 each for my EBC  XC rotors from Amazon
EBC Brakes MD4155XC Brake Rotor
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

amazon prime, sold by amazon, backed by ebc.  $422.96 free 2 day shipping, 2 rotors, 2 pad sets!!
went with the xc rotors over the vee per the ebc tech guys recommendation over the phone. also the ebc hh pads  (last 2 sets have been oe 10+)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2014, 07:05:10 PM »
My 2011 has gone through hell in 15,000 miles.
New rotors at 5000+ miles. And rear brake issues.
New rotors at 7500+ miles.
New rotors at 13,000+miles.
New front rim, bearings, EBC rotors and pads 14,800 miles.
Joel from Maine.