Author Topic: 5inch garmin versus 4.3  (Read 19145 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: 5inch garmin versus 4.3
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »
 :hail: to the KingQueen?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:16:17 PM by gPink »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2013, 05:36:04 PM »
Harumph!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »
Just my $0.02:

This is discouraged.  Even when not on an active "plan" cell phones retain the ability to dial 911.  Many emergency service dispatch organizations have a policy that responders must be dispatched to the location of a call if they cannot verbally confirm with the caller that there is not an emergency.  Consequently, if a child inadvertently makes an emergency call (which on a smart phone is sometimes as easy as pressing a single button -- you don't necessarily have to dial 911) they may trigger emergency vehicles to come to their location.  In addition to embarrassment and cost to the average tax payer, this occupies the time of emergency responders who may now be delayed in getting to a real emergency.

It takes several steps to exit Angry Birds to be able to get back to the phone in order to accidentally make a call.  But that isn't really my point.  I just want to pass on that not once in the last 26+ years that I have been an "emergency responder" have I answered a 911 call to find out it was a 2 year old playing Angry Birds.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »
ok, apparently some background info wouldn't hurt, although it has nothing to do with the thread. Yes, I reside in Germany, and my sister with the two kids live in Argentina. And yes, we have 911 and the lot. But those two little devils know more about using a phone (including how, when and why to call for an emergency) than most IT-hotline customer service executive representatives associates in Bangladesh :o

@Jim: I was sure you came from Denmark... ah, right, that was red with white cross  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2013, 04:04:23 AM »
Again.... :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2013, 06:28:09 AM »
So I guess I'm in England then..?  ;)

The Knight in the avatar looks like a Templar knight, the Cross of St George is a bit different
poo poo occurs..British by birth American by choice

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2013, 11:24:22 AM »
Could be.   I've found references to English knights similar to what my avatar looks like which is why I like it.  Course swinging the sword is nifty as well.  There were Templar knights in England.  Were they English?  I don't know.  I do know that I'm not French.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »
 ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2013, 11:49:45 AM »
Quick question, just how did a seasoned moderator go from GPSs to Templar Knights?  Must be a French thing :o

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
Quick question, just how did a seasoned moderator go from GPSs to Templar Knights?  Must be a French thing :o
Absolutely not French.  That is a sword he's waving, not a white flag.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
Excellent point!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2013, 04:29:18 PM »
I just want to pass on that not once in the last 26+ years that I have been an "emergency responder" have I answered a 911 call to find out it was a 2 year old playing Angry Birds.

Yes, but it has only been in the past few years that children would have smartphones in their hands with non-disablable 911 calling onboard...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2013, 04:39:13 PM »
non-disablable?  I can't even pronounce that.  You sure that's a word...the disablable part...?  ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »
non-disablable?  I can't even pronounce that.  You sure that's a word...the disablable part...?  ;D

Yeah, that is a wordyturd for sure :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2013, 10:50:10 PM »
I had the same question as the 2nd poster.  Why bother with a motorcycle gps?  I already have a smartphone and will download an offline mapping program.

CoPilot GPS is a cheap, GREAT offline map program for smart phones.

That being said.....

Smartphone screens won't respond if you have gloves on.
Smartphone screens SUCK when in direct sunlight.

Used my smartphone on my last trip and while it worked ok visibility on bright sunny days was bad.  When it started raining I had to improvise a cover to keep it dry.

A good quality motorcycle specific gps is worth the cost IMO.

I skimmed quickly through all pages, not a single person answered the OP's question lol.
2012 C14 Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 06:05:18 AM »
Situation normal.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 07:15:12 PM »
Compare features of the 4.3 and 5 you're lookng at.  Whichever has the better features at a better price point, buy it.  The screen sizes isn't that much different.  Be aware that bluetooth capability doesn't necessarily mean headset compatible.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2013, 09:02:41 AM »
I did a 4500 mile solo trip out west in 2011 and a 2500 mile trip with friends to Deals Gap and Barber with a DroidX as my GPS. In 2012, I bought a Zumo 220 ($400) motorcycle specific GPS.  It doesn't do music or cell phone, it does link to my Sena but I don't link it, I just look at it.  I then did a 6500 mile solo trip from Peoria to Glacier to Seattle, then down 101 to LA to home.  In my opinion, having done both, the Zumo was the best money I have ever spent.  Way better on the bike, way better off the bike,  I use Garmin sw to make the routes, download them to the GPS and bang, when I get up in the morning, I just pick the route for that day and follow it. Yes, I planned every day of all the trips.  I changed them some on the fly but that's another post topic entirely so let's avoid that.

Zumo does gloves, vibration and rain and is MADE specifically for navigation.  Once one I was coming up to a turn using the DroidX, a text popped up and blocked my directions. I was riding down the interstate in the rain and in seconds, I had to stand up, sit on my glove, pull out a bare hand, make the text go away and put my glove back on. Yes, I realize a configuration option on my phone would have solved that problem. Didn't really matter at that moment in time.  I know what I like and I have done about 6 trips since, some solo and some leading groups as large as 8 (which sucks in another whole way but ...). I know which I like and that's what I do.  If you want to do something else, hey, knock yourself out.  I would just prefer not to hear I am doing it wrong.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2013, 09:45:56 AM »
I'm curious: Why do so many motorcyclists use Garmin GPS?  I've just been using my smartphone.  What is the advantage of having another device to worry about?

Word.  I still tote my old Garmin in case of emergency,  but its NEVER used anymore.  Google maps are light years ahead.  Google maps are updated daily with detours and measure time off real time traffic and such.  Garmin is old technology worthy of the junk pile. Anyone wants to debate that try searching for anything on a Garmin then try it on the google search on a google map hehehehe. Then try and listen to pandora on the garmin as you travel
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »
Word.  I still tote my old Garmin in case of emergency,  but its NEVER used anymore.  Google maps are light years ahead.  Google maps are updated daily with detours and measure time off real time traffic and such.  Garmin is old technology worthy of the junk pile. Anyone wants to debate that try searching for anything on a Garmin then try it on the google search on a google map hehehehe. Then try and listen to pandora on the garmin as you travel

+1
poo poo occurs..British by birth American by choice