Author Topic: GUHL RE-FLASH (dealer discount)  (Read 21849 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: GUHL RE-FLASH (dealer discount)
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 08:39:03 AM »
Thanks for the endorsement, lather. What's all the letters stand for?

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 08:58:15 AM »
MSTA
Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

formerly HSTA, Honda Sport Touring Association..but some thought it was only for Honda's

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »
Honda Sport Touring Association..but some thought it was only for Hondas

Silly people, thinking that a Honda Association was for Hondas!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 05:36:18 PM »
When the club was started  in 1982 it was the Honda V45 Sport Touring Association, open to owners of  Sabres and Magnas with the 750 and 1100 V-4 motors introduced that year. A few years later Honda discontinued the Sabre (and maybe the Magna too?) so we had to open the club to other models. By the time Yamaha came out with the FJR and Kawasaki the Concours 14 and of cours the Beemers were there all along a lot of us felt the Honda name was keeping  many sport tourers away. Despite many HARD CORE Honda Forever types, the membership eventually voted to change the name. As for me I have been a member since 82 but pretty much a Kawi rider since 84 although I have   also owned a 99 VFR800 for 12 happy years and still do.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 02:30:01 PM »
 ECU's on their way to GUHL.
 Should see them Wednesday, with a direct shipment back to "manofmanygts" should have him riding Friday.

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »

Perhaps I should have clarified;

As long as I have been a member of HSTA it allowed other makes. The "Honda" naming made some think it was for Honda riders only, despite many BMW,Yamaha and Kawasaki owners being members.
 To me the name change made sense.

Offline ManofManyGTs

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 03:05:18 PM »
Got my ECU today after a little snafu on the part of Guhl, but nothing major.  As far as the dealer goes, Lloyd was great. Awesome communication, easy payment with Paypal, and he was there with the little snafu.  I highly recommend that if the deal is still being offered, its totally worth it.  Save some money, and go through Mr. Rivers.

As far as the tune goes, it does make a difference.  Huge improvement with low end grunt, and I do feel a little more with mid range.  Not really sure about any improvements with top end power because I only rode it around for a bout 20 minutes or so.  But that's ok because I was really only looking for low end grunt, and this tune delivers.  Just as a note, I also installed the BMC race air filter and V&H slip-on at the same time but I doubt that they are contributing to much if any of the felt results.

A- mod from an A+ dealer!
2012 C14: Bar raisers, bag protection, magnetic tank bra, PCA rack and back rest, V&H slip-on, BMC race filter, and Guhl tune

Offline Cuda

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 07:58:45 PM »
It is worth it for sure .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 08:00:17 PM »
 Thanks Wayne. I am glad it finally got to you.

Here is the deal, 3 ecu's were sent, 2 of them were done last Wednesday and the other was locked with a different password....someone else has been in it and changed it. So I had to contact that customer and figure what to do in the meantime I thought Waynes was being sent back to him directly last week.

For whatever reason it wasn't and it took my other customer a couple days to decide to buy an ebay ecu to reflash and for that ecu to get to Guhl. Don was good, but something went amiss in the communication last week about getting Waynes back to him asap and it wasn't shipped until Monday, which I didn't find out until Monday.
 Don immediately shipped that one directly to Wayne and as you see he recieved it today... I had expected and hoped he would have had it last Friday, but as with plans, sometimes they go amiss.

My apologies to Wayne for the delay and a few missed days of riding, SC weather is likely far better than the teens we are seeing here in the am and 40ish daytime highs.

Lloyd

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 08:20:34 PM »
and the other was locked with a different password....someone else has been in it and changed it.

Password?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 03:45:33 AM »
So the ecu is password protected from the factory? The guy that owned this one didn't know someone had been inside his ecu? Any random ecu off ebay will work?

Offline Cuda

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 04:19:11 AM »
The other Guy that was doing a flash service is NO longer doing so, I called him a while back, said send it to Guhl .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:16 AM »
Password?

Yes the ECU requires a password to sync up and allow you to be able to make changes...

So the ecu is password protected from the factory? The guy that owned this one didn't know someone had been inside his ecu? Any random ecu off ebay will work?

No he did not, that said it was not a C14, it was a ZX6R, 2012~ not from any forum member....and yes an ECU from the same model bike (sometimes the same year is required sometimes not)from EBAY (or anywhere as long as it is good) would work

The other Guy that was doing a flash service is NO longer doing so, I called him a while back, said send it to Guhl .

Don may know the password that this person used or be able to get it, but without it there are far too many available combinations that it would be like trying to win the lottery to get into it....I would call Don first and let him know what your up against or ask the previous flasher for his password

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 10:18:28 AM »
As far as I know this is the first time that we've heard of the ECU being password protected.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2013, 11:22:53 AM »
Never thought to ask. The only ones who'd know is them that's been in it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 02:50:56 PM »
As far as I know this is the first time that we've heard of the ECU being password protected.

Exactly.  Now we are all curious as to how that works.  There is a master password for all of them?  If they are individualized, then how does Guhl access them?  How does the dealer?  Secret back door?  Maybe something based on the VIN?

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 08:48:27 PM »
 Industry secret....lol

I don't flash them so my understanding (and I could be wrong) is that Kawasaki uses just one master password for all their ecu's (or atleast all their ones made by each ecu manufacturer, since they do use a couple different brands) You can then change the password once your in.
 I imagine that Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki are similarly done.
 How someone originally attains said password, ??? Dealer may or may not give it to you ???

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2013, 10:20:55 AM »
Perhaps I should have clarified;

As long as I have been a member of HSTA it allowed other makes. The "Honda" naming made some think it was for Honda riders only, despite many BMW,Yamaha and Kawasaki owners being members.
 To me the name change made sense.

Here is a vidoe clip from Speedvision circa 1999? Pretty much explains HSTA/MSTA transition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5_fI1dDmB8&feature=player_embedded#!

Plus a little bump in case others are interested in the reflash...

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 04:03:52 PM »
Glad it worked out, sounds like a good deal on a good mod.

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »
 I simple bump since a couple people have managed to find this thread in the past few days and contact me...