Author Topic: 1st Canyon Cage Test?  (Read 12994 times)

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
Re: 1st Canyon Cage Test?
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 07:04:12 AM »
ATGATT (just sayin')  :)

I know that's where they said the contact points were and we saw that in the laid-over pics.  I was more curious to see if there would be extra damage in just this kind of lay over, while moving some. 

Hope you are able to convince her to wear a better helmet.  "Honey, I love you.  I love ALL of your head and ALL of your face, so can we protect it ALL please?"  :)
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 07:40:21 AM »
Wow.  Really glad your wife is going to be OK.  My wife rides her own mean-streak and I find myself looking in the rear-view often to check on her.  We just got off the Bear Tooth and I let her ride lead.  I stayed about 1/2 mile behind her so I would not be pushing her.  By the time I caught up it was time for a photo.  Due to all the switch backs I usually had a good visual on her.  I have found she rides her own ride when in front.  I have convinced her ATGAAT because I want her around.  It was a fight at 1st but we shopped around for gear that fits her/women 5'2" 115 and its much less of an argument now.  She has turned into my favorite riding partner.  I hope you and your wife have many happy rides together and this is just a bump in the road.  God's speed on her recovery danl.

Interesting conversation. Glad to see the pics of the Canyons in action. Cant wait to put them on my ride. I still love my Mean Streak for just easy riding but I would have some problem with my SO riding that instead of the 1100RT if we are travelling. When my SO is on the bike she is ATGATT unless it is hot and she will peel the jacket off. The Scala g9 has made a huge difference in riding together. I usually let her lead as she goes much faster when she leads rather than follows. When I lead she pouts and complains that my speedo must not work correctly so I am happy for her to be scurrying down the road when I am behind her (and like the above poster I give her plenty of room so she does not feel me behind)  Fascinating thread.  For the OP.....Give her a kiss and keep at her to get a full face or at least a modular and some gear.....the G9 will make it easier to get that done if she likes talking to ya....once you do that though be prepared to give up your road noise and silence :o
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline danl

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 07:58:18 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone. The sad thing about this is she had just changed out of her 3/4 helmet and took her jacket off. I have her pretty convinced on the jacket thing, she wears it 90% of the time. Just unfortunate that she had taken it off just prior to this.

I'm going to wait a little bit about pushing her towards a FF. She has a modular now, a Scorpion, and hates it. A couple months ago I was trying to get her into my GMax just to try the fit, it is a lot more roomy in front of your chin and is lighter, but she wouldn't put it on. I figured the 3/4 helmet was a decent compromise. If she had it on, she wouldn't have the shiner she has not and I think she'll realize that without much prodding.

She will definitely be back on a bike. My son asked her last night and she said, hey, I can fall down the stairs, that doesn't mean I won't use stairs anymore.

Offline JMills

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »
Glad to hear your wife is healing.  I am happy to hear there are wives out there that love to ride.  My wife is starting to want to ride.  If and when she does start riding with me or on her own she will be wearing ATGATT.
2010 Connie ABS

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 09:44:48 AM »
Glad that the injuries were kept to a minimum.  You may want to consider the Nolan N43E Trilogy.   It converts to 3 different types of helmets.   The BMW RT comes in a lowered suspension model but they are pricey.  Good luck with the recovery. 

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 02:52:15 PM »
She has a modular now, a Scorpion, and hates it. A couple months ago I was trying to get her into my GMax just to try the fit, it is a lot more roomy in front of your chin and is lighter, but she wouldn't put it on. I figured the 3/4 helmet was a decent compromise.

I hear ya on that. Mine went from a Harley 3/4 that lost the spring in the visor to an HJC Symax 2 after trying every bit of a hundred helmets. We went from Competition Accessories in SPringfeild OH to Iron Pony in COlumbus and down to Bloomington IN and Lousiville KY trying on helmets and ended up back in Springfeild to get the HJC. Now she is happy and loves her helmet. I have never seen her ride without it save for one night when we decided to try the Harley Dyna 2 up without helmets to go to diner. We both hated the feeling and that was the last of that.

Glad she is willing to get back on quick. A good sign. Lots of Meanies out there with lo miles but I stumbled across a great buy on a low mile 26k RT that I prefer her to get on and ride. Previously owned by an obsessive complulsive with too many bikes and not enough time to ride between cleaning and working on perfecting each one. Nice thing is it goes a lot faster than her dyna and I got it for less than 4K. Lower center of gravity for her and lots of trunk space. I like having it when my Connie is in the shop and put 3K miles on it waiting for the TPMS sensors to be done. NOt my cup of tea after the COnnie but works to keep it in the barn and use when needed.

Good luck in the next few days. Glad all is well.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 03:12:30 PM »
Really glad your wife is okay. Hopefully she will want to ride again. Also glad the cages did their job for you. I wonder if she would be interested in the Honda 700 you mentioned. It looks interesting. Let us know if you look at one/ buy one. I would like to get my wife riding her own and that looks like it might be the right fit.

WHICH 700cc Honda? The NT700V?  If so, the seat height (31.7) is almost the same as the Concours 32.1)....  Much lighter though, and better MPG (although only 5 speed, and still a 2 cyl).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone. The sad thing about this is she had just changed out of her 3/4 helmet and took her jacket off. I have her pretty convinced on the jacket thing, she wears it 90% of the time. Just unfortunate that she had taken it off just prior to this.

Same mentality when people say "I am not going to wear my seatbelt because I am just going to the store 1/2 mile away"..... BAM.  Statistics show that most accidents happen close to home.

A friend of mine was not using his turn signal all the time- I asked about it.  He said "I don't use it when nobody is around."  I replied "so you are using extra mental energy to decide when to or not to use it?  Why not just make it automatic- use it always, just like checking blind spots?"

Nobody really likes wearing FF helmets, heavy jackets, boots, gloves, etc... most especially when it is freaking hot.  But to me, it is just a requirement for riding.  Keep trying different helmets with her, maybe one that fits or operates better will win her over... especially after the accident.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »

She will definitely be back on a bike. My son asked her last night and she said, hey, I can fall down the stairs, that doesn't mean I won't use stairs anymore.

I fell down some stairs 5 years ago and I STILL feel some of the residual injury.  I recommend against it.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 06:02:59 PM »
Same mentality when people say "I am not going to wear my seatbelt because I am just going to the store 1/2 mile away"..... BAM.  Statistics show that most accidents happen close to home.

The problem with that over-quoted statistic is that most people spend a disproportionate amount of time close to home.  If 90% of accidents occur within 25 miles of home but you spend 98% of your time within 25 miles of home, you're actually statistically safer, not less safe.

A friend of mine was not using his turn signal all the time- I asked about it.  He said "I don't use it when nobody is around."  I replied "so you are using extra mental energy to decide when to or not to use it?  Why not just make it automatic- use it always, just like checking blind spots?"

I agree... I thumb the turn signal, 25 years of riding says "thumb the turn signal before you lane change or turn."  Why train yourself to spend time thinking about whether you do it or not...it's not like it's hard.

Nobody really likes wearing FF helmets, heavy jackets, boots, gloves, etc... most especially when it is freaking hot.  But to me, it is just a requirement for riding.  Keep trying different helmets with her, maybe one that fits or operates better will win her over... especially after the accident.

Oddly, some of us DO like wearing ff helmets, gloves, etc.  Doesn't matter how hot it is (and I live in Dallas, TX), I'm miserable without a helmet on.  Dust whipping into my face and eyes, etc... no thanks.  I spent the first 18 or so years of riding wearing hard contacts, and I really couldn't handle riding without a full face helmet.  One tiny fleck of dust and I had to pull the heck over.  No gloves and my hands don't feel right on the controls.  Good mesh jackets aren't MUCH hotter than being outside... 
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 11:16:23 AM »

I'm going to wait a little bit about pushing her towards a FF. She has a modular now, a Scorpion, and hates it. A couple months ago I was trying to get her into my GMax just to try the fit, it is a lot more roomy in front of your chin and is lighter, but she wouldn't put it on. I figured the 3/4 helmet was a decent compromise. If she had it on, she wouldn't have the shiner she has not and I think she'll realize that without much prodding.

Good to hear she is OK, and not letting a few bumps and bruises keep her from riding again.  Also good that you had tip over protection on your bike.  That definitely kept a bad day from being worse.

About the Scorpion modular she has, is it the EXO-900?  I'm curious what she hates about it.  If it fits too tight in spots, you can sand / trim the Styrofoam a little at the pressure points to make it fit better.  I had to do this with one of mine.  This is true with most helmets with removable liners.

Unfortunately, if she's not fully sold on ATGATT, then all you can do is overcome the objections to wearing the gear (more comfortable, more breathable in hot weather, etc.).  Even a modular helmet with the chin bar up is probably less safe than a 3/4 helmet, since there's extra helmet sticking up (the chin bar) to catch on things in a crash, and strain the neck more.

As for jackets, I find my mesh coat (w/armor) is more comfortable in hot weather then without it.  Makes that an easy decision.  With my mesh pants, I can wear shorts under them, and again, no heat issues.

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline danl

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 12:35:57 PM »
yes, it's the 900. She just says it's too heavy and restricts her vision. I've worn it, it's not as comfortable as my Symax was or the new GMax I have now.

She's got a mesh jacket, and a leather one. She had the mesh on the entire trip up until the crash. Perfect timing!

I dress like you, mesh jacket (or a kevlar draggin jeans shirt), mesh pants, good boots and gloves. Rarely will I ride without the pants and wear jeans, but I will do that once in a while.  The fact is, when it's hot, there is little that will keep you from feeling it. The day we did the Dragon it was upper 80's but I had my full textile coat on because it has better armor than the mesh one.

Offline DkKnight

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 02:52:25 PM »
Glad to hear that your wife is doing ok and that she is planning on getting back on a bike.
Hope that she heals well and is back riding soon.
Thanks for the info on the Canyon Cages - looks like they do their job well !

Paul in MD

Offline RED121572

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 11:50:50 AM »
Geez, I know 218 very well.  Some funny curves on that road and you have to know them to take em at any kind of speed.  Glad your wife is ok.  If there is anything I can do for you (don't know where you are out of) let me know.  I'll be home on the weekend.  Jim

Glad your better half is ok. Small world, I grew up in Fburg and my father resides in Fairview Beach.
06' FJR1300
--------------
"Something is not quite stirring the kool-aid"
-IBA 47245-

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »
Yes, it is.  Hang around for awhile and we'll fix that FJR thingy you ride.. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RED121572

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »

...that's the idea.
06' FJR1300
--------------
"Something is not quite stirring the kool-aid"
-IBA 47245-

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »

If you end up keeping the FJR and would like some fairing protection, we just finished designing a set of Canyon Cages and are getting ready to put them through production!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »
Please don't tell him that.  We're trying to get him off that thing. ;) ;) nudge, nudge...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline danl

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 06:13:52 AM »
Well, she's back on a bike and has me spending all my time adding farkles to her new ride, an 09 V Star 1300 Tourer (which means it has a windshield and hard bags). She seat tested a bunch of bikes, was disappointed that the Victory she liked had a brake and shifter pedal that were too far for her to reach comfortably, and started looking at some smaller rides. Test rode a few, decided she didn't want to drop down from a 1500 to a 900/950 size bike (she was looking at a Vulcan 900 and Star 950). Our dealer had this 1300, she test rode it, liked it, and we bought it. $7300 out the door, and it had only 3300 miles on it.

So far I've changed the handlebars (the stock bars were too far forward and too low), Mustang seat, light bar, engine guards, rear bag guards, some LED lights, luggage rack, Fuzeblock for all the electric stuff, and a bunch of chrome do-dads. We had a Cee Bailey windshield coming as the stock one is a barn door and is way too tall for her.

It's way off topic but here's a couple pics...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 06:52:58 AM »
Totally off topic...