Author Topic: 1,400 miles and fender extender melting :(  (Read 3416 times)

Offline silvermane

1,400 miles and fender extender melting :(
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:40:19 AM »
Just started wiping the bike down last night and noticed the right side (closest to the exhaust headers) of my new fender extender is melting.  It's curling up towards the tire.  Probably within a 1/4" of the tire, YIKES!  Anyone have this problem too?  Can't say the bike ever sits longer while running at one time other than some long lights?
'11 Silver Concours, '04 Aprilia Futura, '93 Goldwing, '97 750 Nighthawk

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: 1,400 miles and fender extender melting :(
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:04:49 PM »
Which fender extender do you have?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:06:13 PM »
 :o

Any pics?

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »
Sounds like something that should be under warranty for the fender maker.  Have you contacted them, yet?
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Excavator

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
Mine melted and curled out near the tire also, I just took some good snips and trimed off an inch or so. I think the abs plastic may be too thin at the lower edge to take the header heat.

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »
I got mine from Blue and have had it on the bike since 2009 without any problems. Maybe you should contact the vendor that you purchased the extender from.

Good Luck,
Fred

Offline silvermane

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 07:43:57 AM »
Mine melted and curled out near the tire also, I just took some good snips and trimed off an inch or so. I think the abs plastic may be too thin at the lower edge to take the header heat.

Got my extension from Murph's.  You are right, I'll need to trim mine back before it punctures my tire.  I doubt if Murph will refund.  It's the Connie's heat causing this.  What sucks is it's ABS plastic glued to the stock fender :(
'11 Silver Concours, '04 Aprilia Futura, '93 Goldwing, '97 750 Nighthawk

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:12:26 AM »
If a product fails I usually appreciate a refund.  Heat should be a consideration when designing bike components.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 08:27:50 AM »
My vote is to trim it with a Dremel. It would be harder trying to remove it than taking a Dremel to it...

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »
Got my extension from Murph's.  You are right, I'll need to trim mine back before it punctures my tire.  I doubt if Murph will refund.  It's the Connie's heat causing this.  What sucks is it's ABS plastic glued to the stock fender :(
Check with Murphs and see what he will do. I think he will make it right with you. He does a lot business from this site and has a good reputation.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Excavator

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »

Yes, once it's glued on I don't see it coming off...IT IS STUCK so that's why I trimed mine off, it looks fine and is still long enough to do what it's designed for.

Offline rydbaby

• 2011 C14
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »
Wow, I have a Murph's!  Glad I did not glue it on.  I cleaned both surfaces with 90% isopropyl and used double face tape (half inch squares that covered most of the surface area), then used the nice screws provided to lock it down until I need to remove it.