Author Topic: 2012 black grab rails installed!  (Read 16397 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
2012 black grab rails installed!
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:40:37 PM »
Anyone have the parts fish for these to check the part number??

The new 2012 has black grab rails, I'm thinking maybe just get the 2012 ones (which "should" be the same as the 10/11's) rather than paint my 09 ones, that way I don't have to worry about the paint finish etc...

Are the 2012 parts fish available yet?? If so, can somebody share the 2012 part number for these??

Thanks!  :grouphug:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:20:18 PM by ZG »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: are 08/09 passenger grab rails the exact same as the 10/11 ones?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:00:32 PM »

The new 2012 has black grab rails, I'm thinking maybe just get the 2012 ones (which "should" be the same as the 10/11's) rather than paint my 09 ones, that way I don't have to worry about the paint finish etc...

Are the 2012 parts fish available yet?? If so, can somebody share the 2012 part number for these??

As the bike hasn't been announced officially I rather doubt they're available yet.  They're still hawking the 2011 on the US and UK Kwak sites.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Beamer

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 02:03:07 PM »

Not to sound smart, but have you considered powder-coating them? Probably can get them done pretty reasonably. I had some snowmobile front suspension stuff done a few years ago (Front A-Arms and Spindles) and I don't think I had $50 into 6 decent sized components.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »
Not to sound smart, but have you considered powder-coating them? Probably can get them done pretty reasonably. I had some snowmobile front suspension stuff done a few years ago (Front A-Arms and Spindles) and I don't think I had $50 into 6 decent sized components.

Can't, they're plastic...  :(

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 02:22:41 PM »
Yep, that is correct, at least on the '08's and I can't imagine they changed the material on other years. I drilled a couple of holes in mine "knowing" they were aluminum- imagine my surprise at the resin chips coming off of the drill bit.

Brian

Can't, they're plastic...  :(
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:06:35 PM »
I just ordered the black 2012 rails, they're available and "my" cost was about what my painter wanted to redo mine...

:banghead: :loco: :nuts:

I need a farkle intervention...

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 01:18:16 AM »
I just ordered the black 2012 rails, they're available and "my" cost was about what my painter wanted to redo mine...

how? where from? how much? ME WANTS IT.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:01:54 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:53:09 AM »
how? where from? how much? ME WANTS IT.

I just ordered them through my local shop, they looked them up and it said they were available. I get a discount from being such a parts ordering slut so my cost was $160 for the pair, I think retail is probably about $200...

Do you think I'm maybe the first to order 2012 C14 Kawi parts? I can't imagine somebody has already bought and wrecked a 2012 and is having to order replacement parts??  ???

I just hope they fit...  :-\

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »

I can't imagine somebody has already bought and wrecked a 2012 and is having to order replacement parts??  ???

Na, a couple of we slides but nothing to write home about  ;)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 04:38:41 AM »
I just hope they fit...  :-\

please do let us know how it turns out...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 08:07:15 AM »
please do let us know how it turns out...

Will do Martin...

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »
ZG
Your painter wants $160-200 to paint the 2 hand rails??   :yikes:
That'll buy a heck of a lot of rattle cans!!
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 10:06:41 PM »
ZG
Your painter wants $160-200 to paint the 2 hand rails??   :yikes:
That'll buy a heck of a lot of rattle cans!!

I'm not looking to "rattle can" anything on this bike at this point, I'm sure I'd make it look bad somehow...

Maybe I should just wrap the grab rails in black duct tape...  ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 10:17:43 AM »

I'm not looking to "rattle can" anything on this bike at this point, I'm sure I'd make it look bad somehow...

Maybe I should just wrap the grab rails in black duct tape...  ;)

Yea thats a univerasl solution, and paired with the mighty KiPass it'll last forever
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
How do you remove the rear passenger grab rails?? Full tail removal required??
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 03:21:16 PM »
Ok, my 2012 black grab rails arrived today!  8)

Question though, I pulled the rear seat (my Smuggler actually) off and it looks like I can't get to all the mounting bolts that hold the rails in??

Do I really need to remove the whole freakin tail to swap these out??  :-\   >:( 

Please help a brutha out here...  :grouphug:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:02:39 PM by ZG »

Offline B.D.F.

Re: How do you remove the rear passenger grab rails?? Full tail removal required
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »
I am not sure but I think so- they are pretty intertwined with the rest of the bike and mount in several places. The Givi 55 C-14 mount 'arms' reach under the rear fender and attach to the bottoms of those rails so they go pretty deep in the bike.

You should be able to tell how involved it is going to be by holding a new rail up to the bike.

Brian

Ok, my 2012 black grab rails arrived today!  8)

Question though, I pulled the rear seat (my Smuggler actually) off and it looks like I can't get to all the mounting bolts that hold the rails in??

Do I really need to remove the whole freakin tail to swap these out??  :-\   >:( 

Please help a brutha out here...  :grouphug:

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Pull the rear side plastic and that one little plastic piece under the front of the rear rack and you should have it.  However I'm
not removing my rails to prove it. I could be wrong if any of those bolts are going into nuts instead of threaded frame holes, in which case more may need to come off to access the nuts and keep 'em from spinning. But I think you'll be OK.

The Givi mount 'arms' are going to the steel sub frame not the plastic. (Brian I know ZedHed put you up to this, now cut that out.   ;D  ;) )

Offline ZG

• Arena
Progress, on a roll now, half way point...  :)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:31:10 PM by ZG »

Offline B.D.F.

Re: How do you remove the rear passenger grab rails?? Full tail removal required
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
I believe you are correct but on the other side of that bracket are the bottoms of the lifting rails. Seriously. I read the instructions for the Givi 55 C-14 mount and that is where the mounting arms bolt and also the end (bottom) of the rails.

Brian

<snip>

The Givi mount 'arms' are going to the steel sub frame not the plastic. (Brian I know ZedHed put you up to this, now cut that out.   ;D  ;) )

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
Ah, just like doing a valve lash check: half- way done, 90% left to go.... There is nothing there that alcohol won't fix or at least make you forget later.

Brian

Proress, on a roll now, half way point...  :)

<snip photos>