Author Topic: 190/55 tire update (on my bike now)  (Read 10744 times)

valkmc

Re: 190/55 tire update (on my bike now)
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 06:10:36 PM »
Hi, you're welcome for the 190/55 tip, but I was just passing along information so freely passed to me and couldn't beleive how much better the 55 handled.

I owned a ZX14, they are VERY MUCH different.  It pulls like a raped ape on crack compared to the C14, it has a lot more HP and a lot less weight. Plus their is no drive shaft robbing rear wheel power. I can't describe the difference its so profound.  Handling is somewhat better due to less weight and lower center of gravity, and especially the lower riding position. Drawback is the Zx14 won't go as far between stops, won't ride as comfortable, and won't haul as much.  Its a true sportbike and if you're worried about it being "too similar" don't be, you won't find it to be the case :)

I agree, I have a 2009 C14 and my son has a ZX14. We trade off and althought I love my connie, His ZX14 is fun and is nothing like my C14.  I would love to have both.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 08:16:18 PM »
I agree, I have a 2009 C14 and my son has a ZX14. We trade off and althought I love my connie, His ZX14 is fun and is nothing like my C14.  I would love to have both.

I'm waiting to see if there are changes to the 2012 ZX.  Rumor mill has it that it will not be all new, but will see some upgrades.  I rode a ZX this past Saturday and really like it.  I'm hoping to own one in the next few months.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 09:46:33 PM »
I'm waiting to see if there are changes to the 2012 ZX.  Rumor mill has it that it will not be all new, but will see some upgrades.  I rode a ZX this past Saturday and really like it.  I'm hoping to own one in the next few months.

I've been trolling for a ZX14 myself lately too JJ, I want an 11 though with that grn/blk combo, I just love that color scheme!  8)

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 05:44:39 AM »

I've been trolling for a ZX14 myself lately too JJ, I want an 11 though with that grn/blk combo, I just love that color scheme!  8)

You have probably already done so, but you can go to flea-bay and see what the current market prices are on them.  Here in Houston there are lots of leftover 10s and 11s available, including the combo you want.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
You have probably already done so, but you can go to flea-bay and see what the current market prices are on them.  Here in Houston there are lots of leftover 10s and 11s available, including the combo you want.

Yep, I'm still in the "just trolling" mode for now, if I do it I'll wait until winter sets in and prices drop, happens every year here in the PNW, bought my Connie last October as well and scored on price!  ;)

Offline TonyR

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 08:44:01 PM »
Ok... back to the tires now...

Do you 55 lovers think that you could feel a difference if you road 2 brand new 50 and 55 back to back?

Just wondering
Tony

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 08:46:03 PM »

Do you 55 lovers think that you could feel a difference if you road 2 brand new 50 and 55 back to back?

Just wondering
Tony

Definitely!  The 55 almost falls into corners compared to the 50.  Quicker turn in and it is more stable while leaned over.  I am already on my second 55 since June, hopefully I can get a little more than 6,000 miles out of this one.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 04:53:56 AM »
I have another question for you (and others who may be familiar with...).  My friend who I ride with all the time has a Concours identical to mine.  He also has a Ducati 1198S and just bought a new Ninja 1000.  We got into a conversation about the ZX-14 today because its a bike I really like.  The question that came up is this.  How does it compare to the Concours in handling?  How much different is it?  I have read a lot about the bike, but we got to wondering if it's too much like the Concours or would it be different enough to own both a Concours and a ZX?

I sold a highly modified (farkled) ZX14 to buy my 2010 Concours.  Altho, they share the same motor (albeit the C14 is a detuned version) and a few other things ... they are 2 different bikes.

I enjoyed the ZX14 a great deal.  The power was intoxicating, but it was not comfortable for me for my type of riding.  The ZX handles better than the C14 due to the difference in weight and size, but the C14 ofters more creature comforts and protection from the elements.  And, the hooligan ZX will out perform the tamer C14.  Obviously, the C14 has more storage, too.  I need that.

I liked the size of the ZX compared to it's competitors ... I'm a taller guy and fit the ZX well, too.  You could  have both and not have much overlap in style of riding ... but, I don't miss it all that much.  Plus, I have a couple other bikes to ride.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline overthehill

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 07:18:14 AM »

Just wondering
Tony

Absolutely!  I have the opportunity to ride both tire sizes.  When I ride the 55's and then go to the 50's.  I have to remember to anticipate and work harder.  It is not an impossible task, but the 55's make the handling better.  It is subtle, but noticible.  The 55's allow the bike to work so much better.  You wont go back.
1987 Connie gone
2003 Goldwing (yikes, no lean angle) gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 07:32:13 AM »
I sold a highly modified (farkled) ZX14 to buy my 2010 Concours.  Altho, they share the same motor (albeit the C14 is a detuned version) and a few other things ... they are 2 different bikes.

I enjoyed the ZX14 a great deal.  The power was intoxicating, but it was not comfortable for me for my type of riding.  The ZX handles better than the C14 due to the difference in weight and size, but the C14 ofters more creature comforts and protection from the elements.  And, the hooligan ZX will out perform the tamer C14.  Obviously, the C14 has more storage, too.  I need that.

I liked the size of the ZX compared to it's competitors ... I'm a taller guy and fit the ZX well, too.  You could  have both and not have much overlap in style of riding ... but, I don't miss it all that much.  Plus, I have a couple other bikes to ride.

Thanks for your thoughts.   I did ride one since I first posted this and I think it's what I want to get.

Yes.  And a quick story.  Last weekend I was riding with a friend that I ride with every week.  He has a Concour identical to mine, and a couple of other bikes.  We swapped bikes so I could ride his new Ninja 1000 and he was on mine.  He took my bike pretty fast into a curve that he is very familiar with.   He told me later that he actually turned in to quickly on my bike and had to readjust his line because of the tire on my bike (he still has the '50's on his bike).
Jim
Current bikes....