Author Topic: Stebel Horn Install  (Read 4496 times)

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
Stebel Horn Install
« on: October 11, 2014, 03:12:28 PM »
In the "easy" category , I installed the  Stebel HF80/2 dual horn package I purchased from Murph's:
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=45&products_id=356
They come in a nice box, not bubble packed like it shows in his picture, with two straight brackets for each horn.
I just doubled the brackets and installed them with the bolts for the original horn bracket. Leaving the original bracket installed.
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Stebel Horn Install
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 03:18:07 PM »
No clearance with fender problems?

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 03:25:51 PM »
No no clearance problems with the fender. I swung the front wheel both directions to ensure no clearance issues with the radiator.
The camera lens is slightly below the top of the fender looking back so it may look tight. But in the back by the Rad where the horns are there is a whole lot of clearance.
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
How loud are they? Is it a huge difference?
Joel from Maine.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 09:46:16 PM »
How loud are they? Is it a huge difference?

ANYTHING will be louder than the stock "beep beep" horn :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 07:01:32 AM »
At least I can hear it now when on the freeway. It is louder, how much louder I don't know.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 09:33:42 AM »
Nice.
Joel from Maine.

Offline BMahar

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »
  Was it necessary to install a relay in the circuit ??
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 11:15:06 AM »
The instruction show not installing one, so I haven't yet. If the fuse burns in the future I may. The Horn fuse is 10amps and together these say 9 amps.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »
The instruction show not installing one, so I haven't yet. If the fuse burns in the future I may. The Horn fuse is 10amps and together these say 9 amps.

Most likely the horn switch would fry before the fuse.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline petepro

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:11:35 AM »
In the "easy" category , I installed the  Stebel HF80/2 dual horn package I purchased from Murph's:
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=45&products_id=356
They come in a nice box, not bubble packed like it shows in his picture, with two straight brackets for each horn.
I just doubled the brackets and installed them with the bolts for the original horn bracket. Leaving the original bracket installed.

Nice Job.   Used the stock location also.   ( nautilus horn and relay )   
It's nice to be heard isn't it!
Pete
2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline clogan

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 08:50:38 AM »
No no clearance problems with the fender. I swung the front wheel both directions to ensure no clearance issues with the radiator.
The camera lens is slightly below the top of the fender looking back so it may look tight. But in the back by the Rad where the horns are there is a whole lot of clearance.

If you haven't already done so, double check new horn clearance assuming front suspension gets fully compressed. I almost ruined a front fender on a bike once upon a time for failing to do so.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 09:03:38 AM »
Done. Works fine.