Author Topic: 2" Pull Back Risers interest  (Read 6459 times)

Offline Jim H

2" Pull Back Risers interest
« on: October 10, 2014, 02:00:22 PM »
I came from a Vmax forum and since AST cannot be reached for a pull back risers or other items I decided to ask if anyone on the vmax forum with machining background would be interested in making these for our bikes (C14).  Wondering if anyone on here is interested in getting this setup like I am?

I started this on the COG forums and no real interest so far....I really thought there would be some.  I have people interested in possibly making these for us....they need a pair to reverse engineer or the exact specs or a bike to work with....so anyone besides me interested in a pair?   

Thanks.....

AlbertaDoug

Re: 2" Pull Back Risers interest
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:12:22 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:43:33 PM »
You are creating duplicate threads
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18172
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jim H

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 09:19:42 AM »
 oooppsss.  Sorry,  just thought I did one on the COG site.....still amazed not any interest. Oh well......

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »
Jim, maybe it's because there are a number of riser-blocks available that all do about the same thing. Have you considered doing something that will not only raise the bars but truly bring them closer to the driver? I made these, they're 4" up & back but, because I don't have CNC ability, are too expensive to make in any volume. Possibly an adjustable version to stretch 2' - 4"??
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »
Jim, maybe it's because there are a number of riser-blocks available that all do about the same thing. Have you considered doing something that will not only raise the bars but truly bring them closer to the driver? I made these, they're 4" up & back but, because I don't have CNC ability, are too expensive to make in any volume. Possibly an adjustable version to stretch 2' - 4"??

How much did this add to your cables? Looks as though you can adjust the angle quite easily. Thinking this would be considerably cheaper then the Heli Bars.

sailor_chic

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 02:20:07 AM »

Phil, I REALLY like these. I would be interested in a set.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 09:09:50 AM »
There's plenty of slack in the cables, however I needed to replace hoses with 3" longer Galfer stainless steel. At the time I made these there were no other options available, and there were no short additions available to lengthen the hoses.

Sailor_chic: PM sent.

Offline Jim H

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 10:37:39 AM »
  That is another great idea.  Would love to see more of the bike with these on......are you worried about them moving at all if you hit a hard enough bump or something like that???  Great idea.  Would also love to get a price as well.  Thanks.....

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 09:05:12 AM »
Thanks Jim, in this photo you can see the 60 machined "Teeth" in the raised shoulder of the Extender "web", The matching teeth in the stainless steel ring engage them, allowing adjustment in 6 degrees increments.  They transfer any rotational force through the ring to the tab that engages the slot in the stanchion. Since they are pressed together by the torque of the mounting bolt there's a pretty strong hold. Pretty much the shear strength of the stainless steel tab (Plus friction).

Offline Jim H

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 01:54:59 PM »
 That is some really nice work!  Have you come up with a price or have you thought about using your skills for the 2" pullback. 
I would love to see a shot showing more of the bike with these on....not sure if they would be too long for me.  When I ride and sit straight up I can touch the bars with my fingertips,  that is why I was really looking at the pull back risers as the option.  Again, very nice job!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »
That is some really nice work!

Yeah, the machining looks pretty fantastic.  My only real concern with them would be that the design will spread the bars further apart from each other.  Can't tell how much from the photos, though... perhaps 1.5" give or take?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 07:36:43 AM »
I started working on this idea years ago before there were any other options. I tried 2", they really didn't help me so I went to 3", again some help but I still had pain in my neck & shoulders. I finally settled on 4" mainly because that was as big as I could swing in my lathe and I didn't want "ape-hangers". This version was comfortable for me. I'll include some photos. The last photo shows my riding position. I'm 5'-10" tall, 32" inseam, wear a 15" X 32-33" shirt.

They do spread the bars but that's not a bad thing, since I also made the wedges I combined them and the resulting tilt to the base of the stanchions puts the bars nearly the same spread as stock.