Author Topic: 2010 C14 -ECU  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
2010 C14 -ECU
« on: May 19, 2013, 06:07:07 PM »
Quick question

Can I install an ECU on my 2010 C14 that was parted out from another year C14? Specifically either a 2009 or a 2012 ECU or do I need to get a 2010 ECU? I want to use this spare to get the Guhl reflash done to it.

Thx

Dave
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 2010 C14 -ECU
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:09:01 PM »
Quick question

Can I install an ECU on my 2010 C14 that was parted out from another year C14? Specifically either a 2009 or a 2012 ECU or do I need to get a 2010 ECU? I want to use this spare to get the Guhl reflash done to it.

2008/2009 is generation 1.  2010/2011/2012/2013 is generation 2.  I don't think you should/can swap gen 1 and gen 2- they have some considerable differences.

2012 should be fine.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
Check the part numbers on Ron Ayers.  That will give you a physical check on compatibility but as Max said ( :censored: I'm agreeing with him again), you probably shouldn't mix gen1 and gen2 ECUs.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »
Color me stupid here, back is on fire (changing a water pump on ma F250) and brain is frazzled, but, will KIPASS recognize a new/differant ECU?  I'm thinking it will NOT work...  I'd contact the fine folks at Guhl for their input.  If flashing differant ECUs work I can see used ECUs going quick, get one for pure unadulterated power and one for cruising, and one bone stock for potential warranty work ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 04:44:51 PM »
Does the kipass puter talk to the engine puter? (asking instead of looking)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 05:07:10 PM »
Oh man, you bait us beyond words. :-)

Yep, you can swap either or both ECU's (the 'regular' ECU and the KiPass ECU) but you have to have the KiPass ECU re-coded to recognize the new ECU (remember, no matter which one you swap the regular ECU is new to the KiPass ECU). Any Kawasaki dealer can do it as long as they have the KDS programming system and it seems that most of them do. Not sure what it would cost but probably the same as coding the ECU to recognize a new fob or new TPS sensor- about 1/2 hour of labor. And of course if the KiPass ECU is swapped you will need at least one fob that originally went with that ECU or it cannot be re-coded at all anyway. So for example if buying a used KiPass ECU you have to get at least one fob the ECU was already programmed to recognize or no one will be able to program it to work with the new bike.

Back to the original question, not sure but I think the answers given are probably right: you can swap any ECU out as long as it stays in the same generation bike. Even if the ECU fits the wrong generation bike there is going to be some part of the wiring and / or programming that just will not get along; an early ECU on a late bike with traction control switching for example. Or a late ECU on a bike without ABS and similar. That said, it is possible that you cannot swap certain ECU's between bikes even of the same generation; an '08 ECU with ABS may be different, or at least programmed differently, than an '08 ECU without ABS. My though would be to assume it would not work if buying a used ECU unless it carries the same part number and is known to be compatible.

Brian

Color me stupid here, back is on fire (changing a water pump on ma F250) and brain is frazzled, but, will KIPASS recognize a new/differant ECU?  I'm thinking it will NOT work...  I'd contact the fine folks at Guhl for their input.  If flashing differant ECUs work I can see used ECUs going quick, get one for pure unadulterated power and one for cruising, and one bone stock for potential warranty work ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:49:10 PM »
My brane hurts again...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »
I know squat about these ecu's and stuff but it makes complete sense that the two have to be "married" to function.

It's pretty much a given on most automobile ecu's and modules these days.

2012 C14 Black