Author Topic: KDS software and usb lead  (Read 8302 times)

Offline BigAlan

KDS software and usb lead
« on: October 28, 2016, 11:47:28 AM »
I have a 2011 GTR (Concours) and would like to have the ability to read fault codes, program those pesky TPS sensors and generally have a nose around what can be done. Does anybody have a link to where i can purchase the USB interface lead? I know the software is expensive so will continue to look around for a cheaper copy.

Thanks
2011 in Black

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: KDS software and usb lead
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 12:52:45 PM »
It ain't just leads and software.... its a system, with an interface module and stuff...
No cheap way out, sorry... gotta buy the whole ball of wax to get what you want.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 03:03:19 PM »
It ain't just leads and software.... its a system, with an interface module and stuff...
No cheap way out, sorry... gotta buy the whole ball of wax to get what you want.

Yep, this isn't like cars with an ODB2 connector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-V2-1-ODB2-ODB-II-Wireless-Bluetooth-Car-Auto-Diagnostic-Scan-Scanner-Tool-/122018289533?hash=item1c68db577d:g:z2cAAOSw3YNXaPqZ&item=122018289533&vxp=mtr
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 03:34:43 PM »
I think that's actually coming down the pike at some point....ODB2 compliance.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 04:01:21 PM »
Something similar or very much like this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Diagnostic-System-Version-3-with-Cables-KDS-57001-1648-/311727652869?hash=item48946a8005:g:fAgAAOSwo4pYD5Ny&vxp=mtr

Yes, that's the system, but I would not pay that price for a used item, especially seeing the note written on the cd cover dating it to '09 and having no recourse if it doesn't work..
He's asking Kaw new price for used stuff.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline BigAlan

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 04:24:19 PM »
Well thats scuppered my idea then, when i had my bike remapped rhe guy snapped a cable in and linked it to the computer system so here i am thinking i can get the same cable with the correct driver plus rhe KDS v3 software on my old laptop and away i go. Oh well never mind.
2011 in Black

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 05:15:26 PM »
Well thats scuppered my idea then, when i had my bike remapped rhe guy snapped a cable in and linked it to the computer system so here i am thinking i can get the same cable with the correct driver plus rhe KDS v3 software on my old laptop and away i go. Oh well never mind.
He snapped a cable in? I wonder what exactly it was he did (remap) because normally to remap anything on an ECU  it has to be removed or completely disconnected from the bike and then  has to be powered separately from the computer that is used to flash it.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 08:07:35 PM »

That is essentially what the KDS is- it is software that runs on some MS-Windows machine and a box with cables that connect to the bike on one side and USB on the other.  But it is rather expensive.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 10:55:01 PM »
That is essentially what the KDS is- it is software that runs on some MS-Windows machine and a box with cables that connect to the bike on one side and USB on the other.  But it is rather expensive.
KDS has no access to any fuel maps and cannot flash or remap anything related to  fuel or timing or secondaries
You cannot remap with a KDS
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 05:27:34 AM »
KDS has no access to any fuel maps and cannot flash or remap anything related to  fuel or timing or secondaries
You cannot remap with a KDS

Useful info, although I never said it could :)

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 08:39:36 AM »
I have no intention of hooking anything to the bike besides a battery tender and SISF did the flash, but out  of idle curiousity, where is the USB port located?
2014 C-14 Red

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 10:31:43 AM »
I have no intention of hooking anything to the bike besides a battery tender and SISF did the flash, but out  of idle curiousity, where is the USB port located?
...on the computer.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »
Usb from computer to Kds box, Special cord from Kds box to connector on bike.  :chugbeer:
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline Bob Skinner

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 04:24:10 PM »
Can't wait for OBD2 to be required on motorcycles.
At least some of us could easily read error codes without jumping through hoops.

Bob Skinner

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 09:20:31 PM »
Can't wait for OBD2 to be required on motorcycles.
At least some of us could easily read error codes without jumping through hoops.

We should be able to read codes by simply pressing a button and looking at the on-vehicle screen.  But, that would give us poor, stupid, consumers far too much power.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 05:00:17 AM »
We can display a code by turning the key to the on position and then pressing the upper and lower buttons for more than 2 seconds.  That's on the gen 1's.  Not sure about the gen 2's.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 05:02:38 PM »
Error codes on a C14 - what are they?  Almost everybody who owns a Can-Am Spyder knows most of em off by heart.   :thumbdown
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 05:51:53 PM »
Page 3-40 thru 3-44 of the original service manual.  So it is written, so it shall be.  Though I do agree we don't see many of them.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 11:32:16 PM »
Error codes on a C14 - what are they?
"FI"

Almost everybody who owns a Can-Am Spyder knows most of em off by heart.   :thumbdown

Touche!  :)