Author Topic: Greetings from Southern California  (Read 693 times)

Offline dirtclod

Greetings from Southern California
« on: November 07, 2023, 07:10:55 AM »
New owner of a 2019 Concours with 26K miles.
Found mine at Huntington Beach Honda and got what I think was a solid deal on it.
Less than 100 miles so far but I really like it.

Ended up on the GTR after owning a BMW R1200RT for a week. Liked the ergos of the BMW as opposed to my sportbikes, but the "industrial feel" of the machine did not work for me so the BMW is for sale now.

The Kawasaki is so smooth and feels very refined, I am digging it!!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Greetings from Southern California
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 02:24:34 AM »
Welcome aboard dirtclod  ;D
I like the BMW RT's but they do feel sterile/characterless to me.
The C14 is smooth and efficient, but she has an angry side too that lives north of 6000Rpm.  :yikes:
Do you know if yours has been flashed or not?
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 06:11:29 AM »
Welcome! That's a good lookin' color, too.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline dirtclod

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 02:50:34 PM »
Boomer,
Not flashed yet to my knowledge and I have to say that you are correct, totally different bike once the needle swings past 6000 RPM.
I have yet to explore the higher ranges of the Tach but i really would not want to give up any of the low RPM rideability that I am enjoying.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 03:23:12 AM »
Boomer,
Not flashed yet to my knowledge and I have to say that you are correct, totally different bike once the needle swings past 6000 RPM.
I have yet to explore the higher ranges of the Tach but i really would not want to give up any of the low RPM rideability that I am enjoying.
The flash I have (Shoodaben Mountain Runner Premium) enhances that low rpm grunt (up to 20lbft at low rpm) but for me the biggest gains are the huge improvements in on/off throttle transitions and in predictability. They give you the confidence to get on the throttle sooner when coming out of a corner as you know what it is going to do. Smooth, predictable, and silly fast if you want. Yes, there are minor gains in high-rpm power, but not many of us spend much time up there as it's not a race bike for most of us.

When I am out "playing" in the twisties I tend to be in 2nd or 3rd gear between 4000 and 7000rpm as that is all that is needed for 20-80Mph.
On track days I use 1st to 4th at 4000-9500rpm which is good for 140+
On busy roads I tend to go with 3rd gear for 30Mph, 4th for 40Mph, 5th for 50Mph and 6th gear for 60Mph+.
Smooth and rapid enough for real world traffic and roads, but with warp-speed always available with a brief flick of the left foot and right hand. 8)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline dirtclod

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 12:45:48 PM »
Good to know, thanks for the information.
It looks like there are about 3-4 names that pop up regularly as the "recommended" place to get an ECU flashed.
I think I would be more inclined to get a spare ECU for mods and leave my stock one alone.

Since the PC5 is discontinued (and tough to get in my state) I went ahead and grabbed one to have, brand new in a sealed box.
I am going to explore options with it including the Autotune.