Author Topic: Which front stand do you recommend?  (Read 4485 times)

Offline ChuckW

Which front stand do you recommend?
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:25:42 PM »
I want to get the tires off the ground for the winter, so I'm planning to use the center stand and a front stand.  Which front stand works for you? Pit bull's chart doesn't list anything as compatible with the c14.

Alternatively, would a jack work better?

Offline OPUS

Re: Which front stand do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:25:33 AM »
I have not used it or could I recommend it yes or no but it looks like what you need. I have thought about one not sure I really need it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=290476677313&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:06:48 AM »
If you have it on the centerstand can't you use a bottle jack under the motor to raise the front wheel off the ground without having the rear wheel touch the ground?

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline jonathan

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:39:47 AM »
If you have it on the centerstand can't you use a bottle jack under the motor to raise the front wheel off the ground without having the rear wheel touch the ground?

Yes or you could put a pipe or rod through the front axle and support that on blocks or a screw or bottle jack.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:51:09 AM »
Just curious as to why, do you keep your bike outside under a cover?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 09:42:19 AM »
Why do you want to elevate the front wheel?  When the bike is on the centerstand there isn't much weight on the front wheel.  The front tire can support that load for one hell of a long time and never know the difference.  The front wheel stand on the EBAY link recommended by OPUS appears to be a nice aftermarket creation at a reasonable price but to my way of thinking it's a bit like using an elephant gun to go squirrel hunting.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 06:28:03 PM »
I take the back wheel off mine, then use this front stand in the pic to lift the front and remove the wheel. I would use a rear stand as well but why when sport touring bikes have a center stand?

PIT BULL brand race stands <---when second best stands are not an option for you.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 08:28:47 PM »
I take the back wheel off mine, then use this front stand in the pic to lift the front and remove the wheel. I would use a rear stand as well but why when sport touring bikes have a center stand?

PIT BULL brand race stands <---when second best stands are not an option for you.

+1... Pitbull stands are great!  :thumbs:

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 09:15:52 PM »
ZG:  If black ones are faster why did they arrive an entire year later than the silver?
 ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 10:02:35 PM »
ZG:  If black ones are faster why did they arrive an entire year later than the silver?
 ;)

:rotflmao:

They didn't know what they had in the first year and tried to be broad in their demographic...

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 04:11:13 AM »
I agree - NOT a fan of a jack of any type under the motor or exhaust.  Much prefer to support the bike via a front stand and center stand.

Ordering me a Pit Bull.  If you have no experience with race stands, trust me on this and believe what the poster above says re: Pit Bull stands, if you do not want to drop the bike, buy a Pit Bull stand.  Period.  X2 if you are lifting a heavy C14 vice a featherweight supersport.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline MikeERideWNC

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 06:16:47 AM »
Yep... PitBull is the only acceptable option.

You should always check Craig's List for Pitbull stands. It is not like you can ever damage one. EVER! They are about indestructable.
You can get them cheap... I always buy when I find them for 75.00 or less.
Make the seller and offer, they might take 75.00.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 08:14:09 AM »
On a C14, you're still stuck with using the center stand for the rear wheel.  I don't know how you could possibly adapt a rear race stand to work with a C14.  I use a jack under the headers to elevate the front wheel, and there is really very little pressure at all required to lift the front end at that point.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 08:22:37 AM »
On a C14, you're still stuck with using the center stand for the rear wheel.  I don't know how you could possibly adapt a rear race stand to work with a C14.  I use a jack under the headers to elevate the front wheel, and there is really very little pressure at all required to lift the front end at that point.

Race stand simply goes under the forks once the rear wheel is removed if I recall correctly I use the pit bull on so many bikes. I've used a jack a lot too on my C14 when my front stand was busy on other bikes.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline TimmyG

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »
I used the center stand and a ratchet tiedown to lightly pull the back of the bike down lifting the front wheel

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »
I used the center stand and a ratchet tiedown to lightly pull the back of the bike down lifting the front wheel

Just put one of these on the back...  ;)

Offline MikeERideWNC

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »
That is very offensive she is a super nice lady with thyroid problems.
When they got married she was only 98 pounds.

Once she became manager of the Circle K the Little Debbie vendor gave her all of his out of dates.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »
Soooo....  can we get a group buy for a Pit Bull front stand????

If we can, I am 100% in.

Smelling DISCOUNT !

As a reseller, could Murph get the business, make some $$$, get us a discount, and facilitate a large group buy?  Hmmm?  MURPH ?????

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »
That is very offensive she is a super nice lady with thyroid problems.
When they got married she was only 98 pounds.

Once she became manager of the Circle K the Little Debbie vendor gave her all of his out of dates.

:rotflmao:

Offline ChuckW

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 07:36:42 AM »
Ordering me a Pit Bull.  If you have no experience with race stands, trust me on this and believe what the poster above says re: Pit Bull stands, if you do not want to drop the bike, buy a Pit Bull stand.  Period.  X2 if you are lifting a heavy C14 vice a featherweight supersport.

Which stand and pins are you ordering for the front?  As I noted in the OP, pit bull doesn't mention the C14 in their fit charts.