Author Topic: Which size Airhawk?  (Read 5018 times)

Offline CrashGordon

Which size Airhawk?
« on: September 14, 2011, 06:51:39 AM »
Got a couple of trips coming up and I think I'm going to try an Airhawk. Can someone tell me which size to use for the rider? The ROHO site does not list the C14 on it's chart.

Thanks.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Which size Airhawk?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:49:50 AM »
Medium cruiser.

Brian

Got a couple of trips coming up and I think I'm going to try an Airhawk. Can someone tell me which size to use for the rider? The ROHO site does not list the C14 on it's chart.

Thanks.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline topsy_t

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:08:18 AM »
I agree, medium cruiser, just got one a few weeks ago.
'11 Ninja 1K
'07 Tuono

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:24:02 AM »
A little sideways but on- topic:

Most of us who use Airhawks have a hard time determining how to get the 'right' amount of air in them (which is not much). Put some air in or let some out and it is a guessing game. I found a method that works well for us and thought I would pass it along-

Fill the Airhawk until it won't take any more air and let the excess vent off with the valve open. Now each cell is full and there is too much air in the cushion- now just choose a number of cells, say half of them to start, and squeeze those cells down until they are empty but leave the rest of the cells alone. Close the valve and try the cushion. To adjust it, just overfill it again and then squeeze the air from a different number of cells depending on whether you want more air or less air in the Airhawk. This method allows us to control the volume of air pretty accurately and it is easy to repeat the same method anytime, even on a new Airhawk bladder.

Airhawk supplies a big syringe to fill some of their other cushions so at least there is a way to measure and adjust how much air is in those cushions. Not so with the motorcycle cushions though and filling them becomes a guessing game. I think almost everyone overfills the cushion to begin with and that is why at least some people do not like them- my wife and I overfilled ours at first and hated the cushions. Properly inflated (the absolute minimum amount of air to lift your butt off the seat) now, we do not ever ride without them.

Brian

Thanks.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies and the advice. I'm ordering right now.

Offline Supatramp

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 08:45:50 PM »
I use the small cruiser, but I also use it on my KLR & solo Mustang seat on my Street Glide. I just did a 600 mile day, on my Connie, on my way to Colorado, and it works great

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 03:27:02 PM »
Medium cruiser is the correct size as everyone mentioned... But get the new and improved air hawk R model.  I spoke with the designer the other day. It has Redesigned cells, and a wider gap between the main cells, eliminating hot spots and pressure points on the anus, prostrate, and scrotum.

Just google air hawk R..  They retail around $199 but you can find them cheaper on amazon, or eBay

Spanky, if you see this, post up on how you like your R model.....

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 05:27:54 PM »
Ah, a life long goal of mine to eliminate hot spots and pressure points in those places Jerry.  :-)

On the other side of the price range, I would recommend against getting the new "-2" Airhawk as they are much less durable than the originals. I am not familiar with the model Jerry suggests but the -2 types feel almost like plastic instead of rubber as the originals are, and they have a lousy fill valve that will be much harder to use compared with the originals.

They are also available from RL Aviation in FL- excellent prices and good people to deal with; no affiliation with the company other than being a happy customer.

Brian

Medium cruiser is the correct size as everyone mentioned... But get the new and improved air hawk R model.  I spoke with the designer the other day. It has Redesigned cells, and a wider gap between the main cells, eliminating hot spots and pressure points on the anus, prostrate, and scrotum.

Just google air hawk R..  They retail around $199 but you can find them cheaper on amazon, or eBay

Spanky, if you see this, post up on how you like your R model.....

JJ

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:49:39 PM »
I actually ordered the other day right after you guys confirmed what size I needed. It arrived today so now it's time to experiment with how much air I need. I remembered an earlier thread about avoiding the new -2 model so I went with the neoprene.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 04:09:11 PM »
Here is the new R model info:

http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-r.aspx

I bought my Original from this Ebay seller and the transaction was great.  His price is 148.96 with free shipping on the new R Model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AIRHAWK-R-AIR-HAWK-MOTORCYCLE-SEAT-CUSHION-ALL-NEW-R-/290609582048?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a9ae4fe0#ht_3747wt_1122