Author Topic: ZX14 seat info request.  (Read 5388 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
ZX14 seat info request.
« on: July 17, 2013, 03:28:19 PM »
I've read that the '06-'11 ZX14 seat fits the C14 with some hardware switching to get the C14 hooks on the ZX14 seat.
I have some questions which would be especially helpful coming from those that currently own a C14 and a ZX14, but I'll
take any info I can get.

(1) It appears to me that the ZX14 seat (when on a ZX14) latches at the rear and at the middle and that
the one key lock releases both the rear latch and the one under the mid-seat by using two cables, is that correct?

(2) If the answer to (1) is yes, is the system fairly smooth, or is it problematic?

(3) If the answer to the first question is yes, with minimum fabrication could the ZX dual latching system be fitted to the C14 instead of using the C14 mid-seat hooks? ..or are the sub frames too different?

Well that's the meat of it, and now I'll go on to explain why I want to know. First of all I just think it appears (if I've got it right)
that the ZX14 is a better more secure system. I've put my stock seat on and there are times that I had it hooked in the front and latched at the rear and I could tell that the middle hooks didn't engage properly by the way I was able to flex the seat up in the middle. However, the other reason (the more important one) is that I want to see if I can modify a ZX14 seat into a Corbin type two piece seat. That's not exactly right, I really just want a secure front seat and to fabricate a hard mount cargo area where the passenger seat is. The ZX14 seat is so cheap and available that I could butcher up and mangle about four or five of them before I got to the price point of a used well priced 2 piece Corbin. Add to it that the ZX14 seat is lower (so I've read) and that I usually use an Airhawk cushion anyway and I'm thinking win/win.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: ZX14 seat info request.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 03:47:37 PM »
I really just want a secure front seat and to fabricate a hard mount cargo area where the passenger seat is.
-------------------------------

Wouldn't it be grand to be able to move the trunk up to a passenger area instead of looking like the Starship Enterprise way back behind the rear end?

Offline jonathan

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 08:04:49 AM »
I agree that having your luggage cantilevered over the back of the bike makes the whole thing look unbalanced which is why I went for the Corbin Smuggler. I also agree that it is a pricey option. I would like to see what could be done with a rear seat box of some kind.

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:48:53 AM »
I have a ZX14 seat and it fits my '09 C14 perfectly.  The two hooks in the middle of the C14 seat are superfluous and the ZX14 seat proves it.  No swapping of any parts is necessary as the two different models share what is essentially the same frame and engine.  I sold my stock seat after having Spencer in Florida modify it.  It was barely an improvement over the stock item.  I replaced it with a Sargent seat.  I've never been thrilled with its comfort level but it is good looking.  I recently sat on a C14 with a seat from Seth Laam and was instantly sold on the quality of his work and the comfort the seat provides.  Rather than have him modify my Sargent seat as I plan to sell it when I have his seat in place I decided to find a stock seat for him to build on.  I didn't find a stock seat with a reasonable price but I did find a new and unused ZX14 seat on EBAY for the very low price of $75 delivered.  I bought it and will be riding down to Redding, California in a week to have Mr. Laam work his magic on the ZX14 seat.  After seeing and sitting on Laam's creation I sent him an email to ask if he could use the ZX14 seat instead of a C14 seat and work from that base.  The next morning he called me on the phone and assured me that it would be no problem and during the course of the conversation I asked him if it would be better for me to actually bring the bike to him rather than sending the seat along with pictures and written desires.  He agreed that this would be far more preferable as it would make his job easier and guarantee a perfect fit that takes into consideration my size, weight, normal seating position and whatever the hell else suits my fancy.  During the course of our 20 minute conversation it occurred to me that Seth is a hell of a guy as well as a very good craftsman.  After I have had the seat long enough to be able to give an informative appraisal of its performance and appearance I will post an account of my experience and an evaluation of the result. 

As for the question of seat height and comfort when using a ZX14 seat on the Concours.  It's just as far from the ground as the stock seat but has a more rounded profile.  I bit like sitting on a 2x6 in comparison to sitting on a 2x8.  Neither is comfortable but the 2x6 will rub you wrong quicker than the 2x8.  I suggest you give Seth Laam a call and explain you proposed project to him and perhaps the two of you can hatch a hot plan that will get the ball rolling.       
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 09:08:21 AM »
I have a ZX14 seat and it fits my '09 C14 perfectly.  The two hooks in the middle of the C14 seat are superfluous and the ZX14 seat proves it.  No swapping of any parts is necessary as the two different models share what is essentially the same frame and engine.  I sold my stock seat after having Spencer in Florida modify it.  It was barely an improvement over the stock item.  I replaced it with a Sargent seat.  I've never been thrilled with its comfort level but it is good looking.  I recently sat on a C14 with a seat from Seth Laam and was instantly sold on the quality of his work and the comfort the seat provides.  Rather than have him modify my Sargent seat as I plan to sell it when I have his seat in place I decided to find a stock seat for him to build on.  I didn't find a stock seat with a reasonable price but I did find a new and unused ZX14 seat on EBAY for the very low price of $75 delivered.  I bought it and will be riding down to Redding, California in a week to have Mr. Laam work his magic on the ZX14 seat.  After seeing and sitting on Laam's creation I sent him an email to ask if he could use the ZX14 seat instead of a C14 seat and work from that base.  The next morning he called me on the phone and assured me that it would be no problem and during the course of the conversation I asked him if it would be better for me to actually bring the bike to him rather than sending the seat along with pictures and written desires.  He agreed that this would be far more preferable as it would make his job easier and guarantee a perfect fit that takes into consideration my size, weight, normal seating position and whatever the hell else suits my fancy.  During the course of our 20 minute conversation it occurred to me that Seth is a hell of a guy as well as a very good craftsman.  After I have had the seat long enough to be able to give an informative appraisal of its performance and appearance I will post an account of my experience and an evaluation of the result. 

As for the question of seat height and comfort when using a ZX14 seat on the Concours.  It's just as far from the ground as the stock seat but has a more rounded profile.  I bit like sitting on a 2x6 in comparison to sitting on a 2x8.  Neither is comfortable but the 2x6 will rub you wrong quicker than the 2x8.  I suggest you give Seth Laam a call and explain you proposed project to him and perhaps the two of you can hatch a hot plan that will get the ball rolling.     

I have a LAAM seat that just really isn't working for me.  It's comfortable for a few minutes (so I really liked it when I FIRST got it).  But on long trips it makes me numb and I end up squirming around.  Gonna be up for sale as soon as my stock replacement comes in the mail.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »
I have a LAAM seat that just really isn't working for me.  It's comfortable for a few minutes (so I really liked it when I FIRST got it).  But on long trips it makes me numb and I end up squirming around.  Gonna be up for sale as soon as my stock replacement comes in the mail.

Being a prospective customer, that's not the  best news I've heard today.  Laam's reputation includes being willing to make whatever modifications are necessary to accommodate individual customers' various need.  Have you tried calling him to see if there's anything he can do to give your seat longer lasting comfort?  You're in Medford and that's not very far from his Redding location.  You could make an appointment and easily ride there for an in person evaluation of the possibilities. 
It's a bit of a shame that Kawasaki and other manufacturer's can't make their seats right in the first place.  It seems that this most important part is a mere afterthought that is anything but a well thought out design of a most important component.  Same goes for the handlebars.

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 11:45:30 AM »
Being a prospective customer, that's not the  best news I've heard today.  Laam's reputation includes being willing to make whatever modifications are necessary to accommodate individual customers' various need.  Have you tried calling him to see if there's anything he can do to give your seat longer lasting comfort?  You're in Medford and that's not very far from his Redding location.  You could make an appointment and easily ride there for an in person evaluation of the possibilities. 
It's a bit of a shame that Kawasaki and other manufacturer's can't make their seats right in the first place.  It seems that this most important part is a mere afterthought that is anything but a well thought out design of a most important component.  Same goes for the handlebars.

I was unaware that LAAM was in Redding.  I've sent them an email to see what we can work out.  Thanks.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »
I drive to Redding several times per year (have to get my In-N-Out fix) so if he'd be willing to meet with me to discuss options, that would be great.  Of course I'm usually there on the weekends, so I wonder if that could be an issue?
Give him a call, he's a very friendly and accommodating person.  I don't think a weekend is out of the question.  When he called me in answer to my email I proposed the question of riding to his shop with seat in tow or sending it via UPS with instructions, he stated that bringing it in person would be preferable.  He then asked me if a weekday or a weekend would be best for me.  I told him it didn't matter as I'm retired.  He then said that a weekday would be best as most of his customers worked and were free only on weekends so it was best for him to save the weekends for those individuals.  This is certainly an indication that you can call him to make an appointment for a weekend.  Your In-N-Out fix and all other fast food fixes should be reconsidered or you won't last as long as I already have.  This is advice I give to my grandchildren who are all older than you are.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
  No swapping of any parts is necessary as the two different models share what is essentially the same frame and engine. 

Well it turns out that the sub frame is quite different between the ZX14 and the C14. I'm going to try and make something work so I can attach the ZX14 center seat lock but I have doubts at first glance. It appears that sub frame removal and welding needs to be done and that's not going to happen to my C14. Id rather buy a Corbin 2 piece seat. I'll get back here with the my final results. The answers to my original post questions are: (1) Yes   (2) Maybe yes, probably smooth.   (3) Seems unlikely to be minimal fabrication unless I come up with something brilliant (doubtful).

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »
Well it turns out that the sub frame is quite different between the ZX14 and the C14. I'm going to try and make something work so I can attach the ZX14 center seat lock but I have doubts at first glance. It appears that sub frame removal and welding needs to be done and that's not going to happen to my C14. Id rather buy a Corbin 2 piece seat. I'll get back here with the my final results. The answers to my original post questions are: (1) Yes   (2) Maybe yes, probably smooth.   (3) Seems unlikely to be minimal fabrication unless I come up with something brilliant (doubtful).

In my first post I stated that the two models share what is essentially the same engine and frame.  As for the seat - I have a C14 and currently use a Sargent seat.  I also have a stock C14 seat and a stock ZX14 seat.  Sargent makes their own seat pan and it's virtually the same as a stock seat pan with identical attachment hardware.  The only difference is the Sargent has a small storage compartment built into their pan.  The ZX14 uses different center attachment hardware but the front and rear are the same.  With virtually no change in seat attachment hardware the ZX14 seat will fit a C14.  The two center attachment points remain detached but the front and rear will hold the seat firmly in place.  The stock seat's two center attachment hooks are a bit of overkill and not really necessary.  With either seat installed with just the front and rear, where the hell is the seat going to go?  You're not doing back flips and hanging on the seat, you're just sitting on it.  The C14 seat will not fit a ZX14 unless the center attachment hardware is either removed or replaced with the ZX14 hardware. 

Conclusion:  The ZX14 seat will fit the C14 perfectly with all stock ZX14 attachment hardware.  Just put it on the bike and it will be held firmly in place by the front and rear attachment points and the center will remain detached.  Whether the seat is held on the bike in two rather than three places is irrelevant as it sure as hell isn't going anywhere with just the front and rear holding it in place.