Author Topic: zumo 665lm question  (Read 5966 times)

Offline bigfraid

zumo 665lm question
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »
Hello everyone,
                            I'm going to get a GPS for traveling and I want satellite radio to and wanted to see if anyone has a opinion on this model(like and dislike).I know it is expensive  but everything  is all in one package but on the other hand I can get a regular GPS and get a xm radio cheaper.can any one tell me how the xm radio is for reception and how reliable this unit is.if I would go with a xm unit we do you guys and gals have your antenna mounted at.

Offline BackInTheSaddle

Re: zumo 665lm question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 08:22:11 PM »
I have had mine for about 3 yrs. and liked it.  Reception can get spotty in heavily wooded or mountainous area but in general it's good and the 665 hooks up well with my Scala headset and iPhone.  Just got a 590 for Christmas and am going to try switching over to Pandora with it.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:33:14 PM »
I haven't heard anyone complain about it lately, but the XM radio volume seems to be significantly lower than anything else on the unit. I'm using a Nolan N90 with N-Com bluetooth and with the helmet being so noisy it is almost inaudible at anything over 50mph even at max volume. GPS directions however, come through fine even if wearing -30db plugs. I finally found ear buds (Shure SE215) that don't hurt or itch and I put in a headphone jack on my helmet and now it is quite usable. I now turn my bluetooth volume down a notch when I first turn it on. I keep the media (mp3, Sat Radio) volume at 100% and the GPS directions at 40-50%. As you most likely know there is a considerable price difference between it and a Zumo 660LM, most of that is in the Satellite antenna which needs to be securely mounted or removed when you leave the bike, as it is expensive to replace. The other major difference (660 vs 665) is that since the 660 doesn't have XM, there is no way to get the subscribed weather radar feature (nice for storm avoidance) either. (nor traffic, but I don't subscribe to that.) It hooks up well with both my phones (only one at a time, but I can switch on the fly) and I was able to find dirt road maps that loaded into it when I moved it to my DR650 for the White Rim trail in Utah. I currently keep the antenna on my dash shelf, but before I had a dash shelf it worked great Velcroed to the right side top cover.  If you get one, this is a handy device (if you remember to use a locking knob on the ram mount  ;) )

Over all I'm happy with the unit and since I found a solution to the volume problem, I recommend it. However, be sure you purchase it from somewhere where you can return it for a refund. Test it out for volume in your specific helmet and speakers or ear buds that you plan on using as soon as you get it. (riding at speed, not sitting in the garage)

Offline Hayeshfc

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:17:04 PM »
I have had none since 2011 and have been pleased with it. Spend the extra bux and get the weather radar - has kept me dry many times.

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 06:53:46 PM »
Thanks guys from your input and info I will be getting this unit.there is another question I would like to ask is where do you have your antenna mounted and what mount do you have for the 665lm.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:08:18 AM »
Thanks guys from your input and info I will be getting this unit.there is another question I would like to ask is where do you have your antenna mounted and what mount do you have for the 665lm.

I'll risk a redundant post and say I have the Tourtech locking mount that I referenced in my earlier post (except that is an updated model, they don't make my exact model anymore) and it sits on the end of a locking ram mount mounted to my dash shelf. As I said earlier my antenna is on the dash shelf on a magnet base. I also have a GlareStomper light shield on it.

Up high is not an option for everyone, but I needed it. Once I got into it while moving (checking weather radar, searching for fuel, making a phone call etc) my eye sight was too far removed from the road in front of me and I needed it higher. 

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 02:15:13 PM »
Up high is not an option for everyone, but I needed it. Once I got into it while moving (checking weather radar, searching for fuel, making a phone call etc) my eye sight was too far removed from the road in front of me and I needed it higher.
I guess you would get used to it being mounted that high after a while
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:06:37 PM by maxtog »

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 02:48:42 PM »
I had the same issue w/ my Zumo 550... I installed an Amplirider to boost the output from my Zumo to my headset... HUGE difference!

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 03:44:58 PM »
I guess you would get used to it being mounted that high after a while
Yes I have, and it didn't take long either. Now I wish I would win the Lotto so I could afford a Flir system to mount up next to it so I could see deer and ride at night more in the Texas summers. Right now though (at least until I win) I'm settling on putting a remote Valentine One display on the right side and a Mark Parnes Visual Alert on the left side. I have also painted the inside of the windshield black since I never looked through it anyway. It hides the wires and the ugly backside of my GPS mount.

I had the same issue w/ my Zumo 550... I installed an Amplirider to boost the output from my Zumo to my headset... HUGE difference!
I strongly considered that option but I went with the noise blocking earbuds instead as it solved two problems at the same time.

Getting back to the GPS itself, once you get a system worked out for you, then it's a great tool for touring. You can sit at home and make custom routes then try 'em out on a trip. Start running low on fuel you can not only find it, but call ahead to make sure they are open before you divert off your route. Checking weather radar and finding an alternate route or at least realizing that you are going to need to stop soon and put on rain gear are also nice. Having an accurate speedometer, some idea of what the local speed limit is (when you haven't noticed a sign in awhile) are nice features. Knowing how much travel time remains on your route to the destination let's you know if your rest stop needs to be rushed or if you have time to smell roses or whatever. Being able to listen to various entertainment options during the more boring sections of the ride, just makes the whole trip more pleasant. If I had one change I could make to mine now, it would be to have an option to search for only food or fuel ahead of me along my route instead of telling me about the 20 locations I just passed up and I'm already well aware of. (someone please tell me that option already exists and how to find it. :thumbs: )

However be careful you don't spend too much time in the menus, keep looking up to the road. It can suck in your attention span and make  you look at it more than you think you are. That's why I had to mount mine higher. If you don't want to do the dash shelf thing then I recommend a high mount on the bars on either side. I just don't think that a central mount below the sight line of the gauges is safe enough for most of us. (YOMV)

[Fixed strange line formatting -Max]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:05:44 PM by maxtog »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 05:03:47 PM »

I also had volume issues with my Zumo 450 when using earplugs and in-helmet speakers.  When I switched to just using earphones, no more issue.  It is a shame they don't have a louder volume option built-in... I mean it is designed for MOTORCYCLE USE and those not using earphones will most likely be using earplugs with speakers.

Interestingly, I now have in-helmet speakers again, for the Sena install.  And those speakers and the Sena are very loud and can be heard clearly through earplugs or earphones.  But I prefer listening to music on the GPS and earphones because I can see the song info and more easily control it and also since my Zumo 450 lacks bluetooth, I *have* to use the earphones if I want to hear the navigation directions.

SO I now have both speakers AND earphones simultaneously.  Yeesh.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 09:12:42 AM »
I do like the idea of ear buds but they are illegal to use here in pa,I don't think the police would really say anything but I'm going to need headset to be Bluetooth so me and the wife can listen to music and talk.i don't know if there is any difference in volume from the sena 10 to the sena 20 and I can't justify the price difference since it will only be us two.i will be getting the zumo  665lm but gotta get me givi e55 mounted order the michelin  pr4 gt tires and new helmets then try to decide what headset to get.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 10:29:12 AM »
I do like the idea of ear buds but they are illegal to use here in pa

They are probably illegal in all 50 states.  But one then has to ask- are earplugs illegal?  And then one has to ask- are loud helmet speakers blasting music next to your ears illegal?

They might violate the letter of the law, but not necessarily the spirit of the law.  I could be wearing no earphones nor earplugs and legally listening to loud music from helmet speakers.  Wind + loud music = can't hear crap and permanent hearing loss.  And yet instead I could be listening to quiet music from earphones which also block wind noise.  Can still hear stuff around me + no hearing loss.

I don't think the police would really say anything

It is unlikely, although possible.  If I were pulled over, I would smoothly reach up and rip them out from my ears/helmet in one helmet-removal move, quickly slipping them out of sight, just to be sure.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc